Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Manual Roof Conversion….?

Locking mechanism disengaged….

A firm upward push is required to start the opening process. Once free from the securing mechanism the rams take over and the roof goes up.

74152883-7358-400A-9BEB-023E8CA63FE9.jpeg

I fitted the safety buckles retrospectively. However in hindsight I should have waited for them to arrive as the push/pull bar is a little too far forward of the buckles. This means that attaching the safety buckles is a bit more of a faff than it needs to be, due to the buckles only having short straps. If I were to have it done again I’d make sure the push/pull bar was level with the retaining clips.

94FBEDB1-90F6-4CEC-B696-A4BB8117DB7D.jpeg

Various other photos showing the new rams fitted, mechanisms and removal of hydraulics.

C1D89874-DEA2-4325-AB73-83043A0818D1.jpeg

4D671327-C907-4F5C-BDC3-B856881BF626.jpeg

A92E6996-55E4-4E9E-A25B-7F40D69DFB3A.jpeg

88A8DB7F-7F8C-4D07-AD96-92D4BD9ABD98.jpeg

77946EBB-A898-4916-82FF-BC2629DF10E3.jpeg

538BD52C-9979-4C38-BAE1-167750E010F1.jpeg

An equal pull on the push//pull bar and the roof gets to this position. This is as low as you can get it before it closes itself.

Once closed I have to tuck the canvas behind the roof hooks to allow me to lock the securing mechanisms, and then clip on the safety buckles.

It’s a bit of a faff in comparison to having the electric roof. However it should be more reliable.

Time will tell I guess…..

994D624E-B9FD-4EFE-8E7A-62ACA6E64B2D.jpeg

Hi Smalls74. Thanks for the really useful thread.

How is the conversion to manual holding up over time?

I am thinking of contacting Wham Bam Campervan about converting my 2021 Cali roof to manual. I'm in SE London so they are local to me.

Just lived through my 2nd roof meltdown and have truly lost faith ATM.

Hi etcdaman,

So far so good with my roof thankfully.

I’f I’m totally honest I do miss the ease of the electric roof, but that’s all.

There’s no getting away from the fact that it’s not as convenient but it’s totally reliable. I’ve just got back from 12 days in France. The van worked perfectly throughout and I didn’t have the worry of the roof not working/failing on me. That’s why I had it done.

The downsides I guess are obviously the cost, and the potential effect on resale value? I intend to keep my van for years hence I took the plunge and spent the money. I’d love and all singing/dancing 6.1 Ocean but that’s not an option for us right now. My van is also a 2012 and of the age where things will start to perish. At least I don’t have to worry about the electric roof anymore.

Two things to be aware of are 1) the roof will sit a couple on mil lower when up. I’ve only noticed that because the front of the pop top isn’t as taut as it was previously. There is the slightest bit of sag, albeit not noticeable with the bellows bungee on, and 2) it does require a really firm push up to get it going up. I’m sure WBCV would be able to sort that with an adjustment. I’ve just not had the inclination to contact them as yet.

I’m based in Kent so will happily meet somewhere if you‘d like to take a look for yourself? I’ll DM you.

All the best,

Smalls.

Can’t DM you, so just DM me if you‘d like to have a look at my van mate.

All the best,

Smalls.

Can’t DM you, so just DM me if you‘d like to have a look at my van mate.

All the best,

Smalls

Hey Smalls.
Thank you so much for coming back to me. Great to hear the conversion is holding up.
I need to do some diagnosis on mine first. It its the pump (I suspect it is) then the cost of a new pump plus fitting would put me in the territory of a manual conversion, which is why that route is on the table.
Thank you for the offer of viewing, I will get into the diagnosis and give you a DM if a I'm going down that path.
I spoke to Martin and WBCV (he reckoned about £2k for parts and £1k to fit which is consistent with your notes above). He certainly sounds like he knows his vans!
Glad you had a good trip in France. I was just in South France and Corsica myself with the van.
Best, Emile

I thought I’d update this thread as my roof woes continue.

I’ve had the sensors and affiliated bits n bods for the past couple of months but not had the weather or inclination to tackle the job. I finally plucked up the courage today to splice the loom and insert the new sensors.
Low and behold the roof will now not raise. It started to incrementally but it wasn’t behaving itself at all, only achieving a partial opening. I managed to get the roof closed after what must have been 20 odd attempts. I’ve used the emergency tie down kit to secure it as the regular noise indicating a full lock wasn‘t present. I can definitely feel a draft now when I’m driving, indicating only a partial closure.

I’ve approached “WhamBamCampervans’ in Brands Hatch. I had a really good chat with the owner Martin, and a couple of his engineers. They’re confident a manual conversion is more than achievable and I’m dropping the van off to them on Thursday for them to carry out the work. They are unable to quote a price for the work as they haven’t done anything like it before. I’ll keep you posted of how I get on.

I’ve thought long and hard over the past couple of months of whether or not to have Monty converted to a manual roof. Today has made my decision easier.
The roof is the only aspect of my van that I dislike. It’s the one that fills me with dread. The thought of being away with the family on a holiday somewhere and having the issues I’m having now.
Yeah, I could have the new sensors fitted and the roof may well work perfectly for the next 10 years. But it wont stop me worrying about it. So peace of mind it is. Even if it costs me a few quid.

Whambamcampervans are aware that this upgrade/downgrade, or ‘modification’ may well prove popular with Cali owners who are seeking to do the same thing. Monty is a bit of a test case. I’ll report back here with the results, as well as costings and some photos too.

All the best,

Smalls.

Hi there,

I’ve been meaning to do an update re this thread, as I now have a fully manual roof! I picked up the van last week.

I’ve not posted anything up until now as I’m still getting used to it to be honest and I wanted to be fully comfortable with it before writing a review, so to speak.

The parts took quite a while to arrive at the workshop, and this in part was due to the supplier waiting for a price for one of the parts.

Anyway once all the parts had arrived Whambamcampervan set about the conversion. Martin at Whambam was up front and said he couldn‘t give me an idea of price as he was totally unsure of how long it would take.

A week later I had the call to say it had been done. Martin said that the install had gone really well and the roof was perfect. He said it is so much better then any aftermarket roof that he has ever fitted. All of the hydraulics have been removed, including the pump, as have the front scissors mechanisms and rams. They have been replaced with the genuine VW parts for a Beach manual elevating roof. All former hydraulic routing has been sealed as have any other holes from the previous rams etc.

What’s it like?
The roof sits how it did previously with no obvious signs its been converted, except for the fixture/fitting domed bolt heads being visible on the roof.
The two internal locking latches on either side fit really nicely and snug the roof down when they are locked into position. (I’m still waiting for the two safety clips to arrive from VW. These will be retrofitted in the next few days as they are due any day now. In all honesty I don’t think they are required as the locking mechanisms are very secure however I want it to be as ‘original’ as possible)
A firm upwards push is required on the pull down bar and up goes the roof. It certainly feels secure and it does require a firm even push to get it to disengage from the rear locking mechanisms that are located behind the rams. Once a few inches up the rams kick in and the roof slowly extends to its full height.
To drop the roof I face backwards between the two seats, take a hold of the pull down bar either side and pull the roof down. It gets to around 4-6 inches from being closed and you can leave it balanced there and if need be check outside that you’re not trapping the bellows. I have a bellows bungee so that takes care of that issue. A slight pull on the bar and the roof closes on its own. It almost sucks itself closed if that makes. The only slight pain is tucking the bellows behind the two locking latches, which then enables you to lock them. Having the pull down bar attached to the inside of the roof means that the bellows now sit proud of the roof, meaning less space between the roof and sliding roof door. This has had an added bonus of stopping the sliding door rattling about and sliding open on its own. Previously it was very noisy but now its nice and quiet. There is still plenty of room to flatten the bellows into the space and the door slides closed without an issue.

The cost? More than I expected. However it was the first conversion of this type (Cali electric to manual) they had done and they took their time making sure it was done properly. 24 hours labour at £72 an hour. Martin at Whambamcampervan has said that now they have done one it would take them far less time to do another, now they know what they are doing.

I‘ve questioned whether or not I should have just replaced the sensors and be done with it. Or whether or not that would have worked and then something else would go wrong. £3k is a lot of money to spend. However its done and I’ve got a manual roof conversion.
Overall I’m pleased with the result. It has taken me a little while to get used to it. There is no getting away from the fact that it isn’t as convenient as pushing a button. However, I now have a roof that shouldn’t let me down and should be a hell of a lot more reliable. And its brought me peace of mind. The thought of being abroad and having roof issues is a thing of the past. My van is a keeper. Its 10 years old. Like me its not getting any younger. The less that can go wrong the better.

I’m sure there’ll be lots of differing opinions whether or not it‘s a good idea, what else I could have spent the money on etc….

Hey ho.

Here’s to a great summer and getting out and enjoying our vans, be them electric or manual roofs!

All the best,
Smalls.
I maybe in need of a replacement pump and hoses, would you still have the parts that were removed when the conversion was carried and be prepared to sell them if you haven’t already ? If not I may well go for the conversion you’ve had done, don’t suppose you have a list of all the VW part numbers used in the conversion you’d be prepared to pass on to me do you ? Many thanks.
My dilemma here.

Last edited:
Back