Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I'm sure I'm not the only one.....

I use an old, basic, unconnected TomTom GPS & wouldn't be without it, especially for the "last mile" to sites, though we always have maps too.
I love the way it keeps its calm when I ignore its instructions (unlike the real-life navigator!).
But I am getting better & better (after a lot of practice!) at ignoring its attempts to send me down cart-tracks or to cut off insignificant corners.
I have to wonder why there is no setting to avoid "white" roads or "yellow" roads on long trips.
It is obviously withing their technical capability...
Does anybody have any comments on how well that sort of option works on "campervan-specific" GPS's?

The higher-end satnavs (ie those with a SIM card) access blended traffic data feeds curated from a broad range of sources. Those include data from other satnav users, telematics in commercial vehicles, mobile phone 'big data', Highways Agency traffic cams, and so on. This is overlaid on historical data of route speeds at various times of day to calculate best route, ETA etc.

I've noticed that it's getting much more accurate/reliable recently, as SimonB says. A year or two ago, we found Google Maps gave most accurate traffic intel, but now it seems to be our TomTom.

We have Amarillo's Discover Media system linked to Amarillo's MiFi. One of its shortcomings is suggesting routes around congestion onto roads not covered by traffic data. It is particularly bad on town and city bypasses, suggesting routes on minor roads through an equally congested city centre.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

9fce30a8e4826f716d790c4cc63fcfa0.jpg

Just bought a map and use both for its best!

It's true that a paper map is a wonderful and tactile thing, but it's quite an experience to be magically routed around a gridlocked traffic jam by Waze. Each has their place.

Driving across the central massif in France now. Using Apple maps through CarPlay. Works really well, except my phone keeps losing 3G, whereupon we are transported into The Matrix...

Love the built in Sat nav, we have avoided so many Qs by following Zulu's directions. Doesn't mean we don't ignore her from time to time though!

Last edited:
We always plan our route with a road map. We do put the satnav on for journeys in unfamiliar territory but usually end up following our own instructions and ignoring the directions we're given!

I use my smartphone over the factory SatNav in the T6. Waze I find is generally good (used it for years) - I also have a downloaded offline sat nav - Navmii - which does not rely on a data connection to plot your route, but you loose out on not having current traffic information. I find the combination of these two cover any connection blackspot problems (Waze being preferred if connection available) but I do agree a map is a wonderful thing - and carried always just in case!

Totally agree
My sat nav is used primarily in an advisory capacity. When i travel anywhere i look at the “ big picture” and then decide the way i want to go, ie the best way and then enter my destination into the sat nav and it never agrees with me as to the best route. Technology has its place and we would all be lost without it.
The problem with my sat nav is i’m lost with it.

I ignore my sat nav quite often - my husband says I give it a headache.
Ithe did throw a huge wobbler yesterday - sent me the wrong way at a roundabout then wanted me to turn into a No Through Road to get back to the proper route.

GrannyJen,

Thanks for starting this thread; very entertaining! Here's a thing; every other year, I do the 'ACU National Road Rally' on my motorcycle, it's an overnight navigation scatter rally, meaning you have to plan your own route from a provided matrix of destinations. 22 stages minimum involved, so I meticulously plan each stage, turn by turn, and commit to MSWord, which then gets printed onto card, and laminated (in case it rains). Now here's the thing, I have always done this for the rally, but now include postcodes etc. for each destination and when on the road I carry an A4 sized UK Atlas too. But, I plug in my 10 year old Garmin Zumo and use that by and large, and the thing is, every year, not only do I need my route cards at some point for every stage, but frequently need to get the atlas out too, ye canna trust the tech!

Moving on to the Cali, on our recent 6 week jolly round France, Spain & Portrugal we used maps extensively, and where possible, large scale local maps too; while Michelin don't carry contour lines like the dear old OS maps we rely on here, you still get a far clearer idea of where you are all the time if used in conjunction with the tech. The tech will get you to that address buried in a rabbit warren, most of the time - but I must say that the Zumo may now be reaching the end of it's effective life; we needed Google Maps 3 times on the mobile phone to get it out of trouble, as some continental destinations seem to have given the Zumo fits of the vapours, so to speak, and it wasn't even wearing overly tight undergarments!

I'm obliged to Velma's dad for his very clear explanation of the difference between early tech, i.e. my Zumo and current high-end tech which includes a plethora of sources to inform it's decision making. Looks like a shopping trip, as it were, is on the cards.

GrannyJen,

Thanks for starting this thread; very entertaining! Here's a thing; every other year, I do the 'ACU National Road Rally' on my motorcycle, it's an overnight navigation scatter rally, meaning you have to plan your own route from a provided matrix of destinations. 22 stages minimum involved, so I meticulously plan each stage, turn by turn, and commit to MSWord, which then gets printed onto card, and laminated (in case it rains). Now here's the thing, I have always done this for the rally, but now include postcodes etc. for each destination and when on the road I carry an A4 sized UK Atlas too. But, I plug in my 10 year old Garmin Zumo and use that by and large, and the thing is, every year, not only do I need my route cards at some point for every stage, but frequently need to get the atlas out too, ye canna trust the tech!

Moving on to the Cali, on our recent 6 week jolly round France, Spain & Portrugal we used maps extensively, and where possible, large scale local maps too; while Michelin don't carry contour lines like the dear old OS maps we rely on here, you still get a far clearer idea of where you are all the time if used in conjunction with the tech. The tech will get you to that address buried in a rabbit warren, most of the time - but I must say that the Zumo may now be reaching the end of it's effective life; we needed Google Maps 3 times on the mobile phone to get it out of trouble, as some continental destinations seem to have given the Zumo fits of the vapours, so to speak, and it wasn't even wearing overly tight undergarments!

I'm obliged to Velma's dad for his very clear explanation of the difference between early tech, i.e. my Zumo and current high-end tech which includes a plethora of sources to inform it's decision making. Looks like a shopping trip, as it were, is on the cards.

Do look for deals on SatNavs if you are thinking of buying one. Many have free maps for life, built in Sim Cards with free connection for life, etc, etc.
They are a little more in the first place, but if you have to buy a Sim card connection every year that can cost £50 or so each time. Do get one that has traffic updates as this will guide you round the jams before you get there. Halfords often have cashback deals, compare prices before you commit.

Back