Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress Topper

philcod

philcod

Having read someone's post (which I now cant find!!) about Zonesleep toppers I Emailed them for a quote which they have responded to - £225 for one which fits the roof bed. They say they have already supplied 4 bespoke toppers for Calis and have a number on order - and the product description sounds attractive. Does anyone have one?

The particular point I would appreciate views on is their assertion that their topper can be left in place with the roof down. Clearly, if this is Ok it makes storage a non issue - which would be great - but is there really enough spare room up there to take a 25mm topper?

Phil

I have sent you an email phil :thumb

I was under the impression that nothing could really be left in the roof.

We started with the Comfort Pets one available via here which is OK but subsequently bought the much more expensive VW / Brandrup one which is night and day from the Comfort Pets one.

Thanks for the response Stu. I've just spoken to SMG - for a price on the Bandrup topper - and their advice is, as you say, to avoid anything additional in the roof as it could inhibit the proper stowage of the bellows. I guess this could cause warranty issues in the event of any roof related problems?

What does the Bandrup score on - comfort, quality??

That's not how I see it my zonesleep topper fits in the roof when the roof is down I can still get my hand under.the display clearly states that the roof is closed it takes up no more room than the Brandrup iso top that can be left up with the roof closed. The zonesleep topper is not memory foam it is a space tec material made from fibres sandwiched between soft fabric that under weight can not be fully compressed

We should have some more info on the Zonesleep very soon, it is an amazing product and like Kev says because of the material it is made from it can stay up in the roof when closed. Don't try this with memory foam though ..

Is the memory foam mattress toppers too thick then? Ours is the memory foam one.

philcod said:
Thanks for the response Stu. I've just spoken to SMG - for a price on the Bandrup topper - and their advice is, as you say, to avoid anything additional in the roof as it could inhibit the proper stowage of the bellows. I guess this could cause warranty issues in the event of any roof related problems?

What does the Bandrup score on - comfort, quality??

We find it very comfortable, more so than the previous one. It also stores more neatly in the back than the previous one which we could never get to fold 'neatly'. Quality is also very good as you would expect of an item from Brandrup.

I don't know anything of the other type being discussed, I would be interested to know more.

Markm said:
Is the memory foam mattress toppers too thick then? Ours is the memory foam one.

Yes definitely too thick, it could either interfere with the bellows, stop roof closing or bend the roof.

I noticed this mattress in the back of a brand new showroom California during a recent visit to my local VW dealers. I didn't see it unfolded but it looks like it may be the one you get if you choose the comfort option. It's made by Froli, which I think has made mattresses for Westfalias. Anyone have any experience of this mattress yet? Also would be interesting to find out if this replaces the rear frame mattress.
IMG_1007.jpg

I think I recall Oli saying he orders those with his vans.

I think this is the mattress that we have. I'm afraid that I'm not sure exactly what it is , as it was included as a free extra. It folds into three parts and simply lays out on top of the bench seat and the rear mattress. I don't know if there is an alternative 'extra comfort' version. It is very comfortable, but a bit of a nuisance to store - we leave it on the rear shelf, so we can't put any heavy items on there. Maybe there is a better place to store it?

Simon

Has anyone removed the top mattress completely and replaced with a memory mattress or other similar product.

We were contemplating a memory foam mattress (have them at home) as a complete replacement rather than a topper.

This topic is a few years old. Since this time has anyone got more experience with the upstairs zone sleep topper? Can it be left in place with the roof down? Does anyone drag the topper and mattress downstairs when needed. There are only 2 of us so would like to avoid buying and storing an extra mattress in the boot if possible.

I avoided speccing the comfort mattress in my order and am looking for the best overall 1x mattress/topper option that I can use upstairs and downstairs. I know the dimensions are smaller downstairs but I have read some comments that the downstairs can cope with a wider mattress at a squeeze.