Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

May 2017 - one week - where?

Rupes

Rupes

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi everyone.

Doing a bit of forward planning whilst waiting for Cali to arrive. Thinking about having a week somewhere in Europe in the May half term. This would involve return ferries from Newcastle to Amsterdam but where could we go from there for a week?

We would arrive Amsterdam Sunday morning and need to be back at Ferry terminal by 4pm the following Saturday afternoon.

Would ideally want to limit driving to no more than about 4 hours in any day with a few non-driving days in the mix too.

We have a 6yo and 4yo to entertain.

Any ideas?

I was initially wondering about Northern Germany. But then got on to thinking about southern Germany - quite like mountains and fairy-tale castles. But maybe it's too far to Southern Germany?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of Denmark, which would be right on your doorstep. You could drive up to the Sassnitz / Trelleborg ferry to Sweden, maybe with an overnight on the way, then stay in Sweden for a night before coming back over the bridge, a night or two in Copenhagen and another one down by Rødby. Hop on the Rødby / Puttgarden ferry and back to the 'dam.

That said, that neck of the woods can be very grey if the weather isn't playing ball, but you have the Cali trump card of just being able to up-sticks and go where the sun is.

Good luck and enjoy! :D

I'm a big fan of Denmark, which would be right on your doorstep. You could drive up to the Sassnitz / Trelleborg ferry to Sweden, maybe with an overnight on the way, then stay in Sweden for a night before coming back over the bridge, a night or two in Copenhagen and another one down by Rødby. Hop on the Rødby / Puttgarden ferry and back to the 'dam.

That said, that neck of the woods can be very grey if the weather isn't playing ball, but you have the Cali trump card of just being able to up-sticks and go where the sun is.

Good luck and enjoy! :D

Might try that myself some time would like to see Denmark or bits of it.

If you only have a week then stay in the Netherlands. Have a day in Amsterdam, then go north to the villages on the IJsselmeer.

There there's a great site in Woerden, walking distance into the town and you can get trains to Gouda, Utrecht or maybe also Rotterdam. Utrecht has a wonderful canal running through the centre with cafes and bars along the sides.

Then go south to the Cadzand area, fantastic beaches and you can get to Knokke-Heist and Bruges. Breskens is also nice, plenty of seafood at the harbour. Also of course brilliant cycle paths and you can do a pub crawl along the beach stopping at all the strand pavilioenen. Beach cafes actually on the beach. We stayed at Camping 't Schorre in Nieuwvlietbad. The kids would love it there.

Thanks for the ideas Alibee and Bramco - both itineraries sound interesting and I'll definitely be looking into them a bit further.

I'm starting to realise that there is going to be a serious conflict between my employment (and the kids' schooling) and our ability to go exploring in our Cali.

So little time, so many places to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We spent a week touring round the Netherlands, two places stood out, Lauwersoog on the north coast had an excellent campsite, probably the best we have stayed at,and there are cycle routes all round and boats out to the car free Schiermonnikoog island, a fascinating day out.
The other place we liked was S'Hertergenbosch where you can take a boat trip on the canals under the town.
We have been to the Zuiderzeemuseum too and agree with 2135.
Have a good trip

Back