Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Please tell me that Bluey is a kids programme about a kangaroo…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Having a 4 year old opens me up to a myriad of delights including unicorns. Bluey is great though - you might relate to the dad, Bandit. I could imagine him driving a Swamper.

I discovered through a mate without kids, it’s a real breed of Aussie dog. A Blue Heeler.

Having a 4 year old opens me up to a myriad of delights including unicorns. Bluey is great though - you might relate to the dad, Bandit. I could imagine him driving a Swamper.

I discovered through a mate without kids, it’s a real breed of Aussie dog. A Blue Heeler.

When my kids were that age it was all Teletubbies and Power Rangers. A blue cattle dog is cool though!

When my kids were that age it was all Teletubbies and Power Rangers. A blue cattle dog is cool though!

They sure are. My best friend has an Aussie cattle dog. A female and a real handful but in a good way. Don't think I could cope with a male (and that's coming from someone who had a male Rottweiler).
Boo.jpg

Personally, if money was no object, i'd be grabbing myself a Starlink straight away, and just utilise the van as our home router too :D

Downside is that whenever the van leaves the house, so too would the CCTV connectivity and smarthome functionality - along with any hopes of anyone at home getting their fix of Bluey and Netflix :D

I have Starlink as a backup but it can use up to 120 watts of power and averages 30-50 watts. That is versus 5-12 watts for 5G.
81de79057effe4390750618d0ce492bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, every California owner could relate to the episode about getting stuck behind 'Grey Nomads' (white whales) and not wanting to pull over incase you get trapped behind the one you just spent ages trying to overtake on backroads. :D

I think the idea is that will no longer be necessary, and the mini is rumoured to use a lot less power (although I'm sure speed will take a hit). But don't want to derail this thread. Sorry OP, I'll go back in my cave now
This is a rambling thread loosely based around Swampers, coffee, canoes, flower decals, wheel/tyre nerdery and general banter. Therefore the introduction of Starlink/connectivity is suitably manly to qualify!

Few pics of the all-black Thule Wanderway in case anyone’s interested, should be available early March. Will save you £300-600 over a powder-coated OEM one depending on how many bikes you want to carry, just enough for some molle and recovery boards!

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg

IMG_0077.jpeg

Last edited:
A hideously anti-swamp notion (I will protect the identity of one of our brothers who I know is also interested in similar), what experience do you guys have of showers for the van?

Clearly I normally bathe in steaming mud heated over open coals, scraping the residue off with a hunting knife.

But there is family time in this van too. Think of the children!

I considered a Roadshower with a privacy tent like I spied in Costa Rica. Advantages, saves interior space. But expensive & cold.

For the wife & child, showers are a camping deal breaker.

I’ve been spying the Joolca heated offering. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
A hideously anti-swamp notion (I will protect the identity of one of our brothers who I know is also interested in similar), what experience do you guys have of showers for the van?

Clearly I normally bathe in steaming mud heated over open coals, scraping the residue off with a hunting knife.

But there is family time in this van too. Think of the children!

I considered a Roadshower with a privacy tent like I spied in Costa Rica. Advantages, saves interior space. But expensive & cold.

For the wife & child, showers are a camping deal breaker.

I’ve been spying Joolca offering. Any suggestions?

I’ve attached an overland style privacy room to the passenger side awning rail (strategically positioned above the kitchen window). Deploys in seconds, doesn’t take up precious space inside the van (which is better used for fire making and other manly tools). I’ve paired it with a compact foot pump shower bag. Again takes up no room, can work as a solar shower when the sun is blazing.

In reality the privacy room sees more use as a changing room for the beach or as a toilet tent.

I only really use the rear cold water shower for outdoor washing up, hosing down the dog or sandy beach feet. It doesn’t have enough pressure for much else and soon depletes the 35l tank on longer trips. I’m still glad I have it though.

This is the shower I use. They do a bigger one but 11l is a decent shower for one adult or enough to hose down a couple of nippers!

Score I upgraded my van to the Club Joker with integrated hot shower I was a huge fan of RinseKit. I own almost every version they have. They offer 2 different types of heaters. One is an immersion heater that takes time (and power) to heat up. The other is just favorite called the Hyper Heater and it uses propane. I modified it to use a 907 bottle as I always carry a spare. You do have to ship these from the USA however. I use Stackry.com for that as a freight forwarder and consolidation.

If I was to do it now on a Cali this would be my kit:

On the C rail opposite of the awning:

It has its own battery and pressure too.

And this heater:

I’ve attached an overland style privacy room to the passenger side awning rail (strategically positioned above the kitchen window). Deploys in seconds, doesn’t take up precious space inside the van (which is better used for fire making and other manly tools). I’ve paired it with a compact foot pump shower bag. Again takes up no room, can work as a solar shower when the sun is blazing.

In reality the privacy room sees more use as a changing room for the beach or as a toilet tent.

I only really use the rear cold water shower for outdoor washing up, hosing down the dog or sandy beach feet. It doesn’t have enough pressure for much else and soon depletes the 35l tank on longer trips. I’m still glad I have it though.

This is the shower I use. They do a bigger one but 11l is a decent shower for one adult or enough to hose down a couple of nippers!

I like the rail mounted privacy room. Like you most likely as a changing room for her indoors.

I deleted the rear shower attachment, so I’m committed to either retro fitting (doable, with plenty of cursing), or an aftermarket solution.

Score I upgraded my van to the Club Joker with integrated hot shower I was a huge fan of RinseKit. I own almost every version they have. They offer 2 different types of heaters. One is an immersion heater that takes time (and power) to heat up. The other is just favorite called the Hyper Heater and it uses propane. I modified it to use a 907 bottle as I always carry a spare. You do have to ship these from the USA however. I use Stackry.com for that as a freight forwarder and consolidation.

And this heater:

I’m checking out your suggestion.

So far I’ve been looking at this https://offgridgear.co.uk/roadshowers

Trying to work out if I could adapt with an immersion heater.

And this heater:

This was the other one - available in the UK so no import