Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Got chatting to the guy who has these Fuels and BFG Trails on his Transporter. 235/65/17 with 30mm lowered suspension - no issues with rubbing or cruise control. Using the winter tyre setting in settings/vehicle/tyres menu the speedo is spot on at 60 mph.

Not sure if the bronze would be right on our Ascot Grey but the all black version would work. Fake rim lock bolts aren't as naff as I thought they might be in the flesh. Seriously tempted...

20240204_111027.jpg

Got chatting to the guy who has these Fuels and BFG Trails on his Transporter. 235/65/17 with 30mm lowered suspension - no issues with rubbing or cruise control. Using the winter tyre setting in settings/vehicle/tyres menu the speedo is spot on at 60 mph.

Not sure if the bronze would be right on our Ascot Grey but the all black version would work. Fake rim lock bolts aren't as naff as I thought they might be in the flesh. Seriously tempted.
You mean wheel lug covers? I bought black bolts (and a bit longer than stock with the Black Rhino Warlords) and I've never understood why people use covers instead of just doing it right.

You mean wheel lug covers? I bought black bolts (and a bit longer than stock with the Black Rhino Warlords) and I've never understood why people use covers instead of just doing it right.
No, not the centre caps - these bits around the rim

20240204_111027.jpg

No, not the centre caps - these bits around the rim

View attachment 118857
Ahh yes... No doubt to cut costs. Most people wouldn't notice other than a bunch of us hanging out in a forum and passionate. ;-) That said, Projekt Monotube had quite a few issues with the beadlock bolts rusting from the inside. Apparently they've fixed it now but only after shipping quite a few batches of the wheels.

Ahh yes... No doubt to cut costs. Most people wouldn't notice other than a bunch of us hanging out in a forum and passionate. ;-) That said, Projekt Monotube had quite a few issues with the beadlock bolts rusting from the inside. Apparently they've fixed it now but only after shipping quite a few batches of the wheels.
I know @Corradobrit dislikes the faux beadlock look. Which I do get.

If it’s an aesthetic, faux works to my eye. Beadlocks are necessary for proper 15 PSi rock crawling work.

Many of us differ on here. The 4Motion Transporter is very capable off road. But it’s not an off roader, especially in California guise. It can and does go off track, but if you’re in a situation that really needed a beadlock specced to navigate you probably wouldn’t chose a Cali as your weapon of choice.

Of course guys air down to navigate bogs and rock gardens. But I doubt many Calis here really need a beadlock.

Not here to judge. Judge lest ye be judged! But go faux if it floats your boat.

If it’s an aesthetic, faux works to my eye. Beadlocks are necessary for proper 15 PSi rock crawling work.

Many of us differ on here. The 4Motion Transporter is very capable off road. But it’s not an off roader, especially in California guise. It can and does go off track, but if you’re in a situation that really needed a beadlock specced to navigate you probably wouldn’t chose a Cali as your weapon of choice.

Of course guys air down to navigate bogs and rock gardens. But I doubt many Calis here really need a beadlock.

Completely agree. No low range, limited axle articulation etc limits what you can do in a Cali. I’ve said before the real limitation for most - me included - will be the rattling of the fixtures and fittings! It’s more than capable enough for most off roading scenarios in UK & Europe (Western) though. Not many would take a Transporter overlanding in Africa or Oz. I follow a few brave souls that are travelling through South America though.

That said, there’s a massive off road upgrade industry in the US for Sprinters but I’d choose the VW in most off-road situations any day no matter how trick the aftermarket Mercedes suspension is the physics of a long tall van off road is pretty scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree. No low range, limited axle articulation etc limits what you can do in a Cali. I’ve said before the real limitation for most - me included - will be the rattling of the fixtures and fittings! It’s more than capable enough for most off roading scenarios in UK & Europe (Western) though. Not many would take a Transporter overlanding in Africa or Oz. I follow a few brave souls that are travelling through South America though.

That said, there’s a massive off road upgrade industry in the US for Sprinters but I’d choose the VW in most off-road situations any day no matter how trick the aftermarket Mercedes suspension is the physics of a long tall van off road is pretty scary!

The Winnebago Revel is quite a beast though!

I don’t even know what beadlock was, I just googled it. Interesting.
I’d spent 2 years looking at wheels
The Oz Rally Raids are my all time favourite.
But so expensive.
So I find the next best was the Kato’s.
Kept coming back to them.
and I love the deep channel.
And the 30 offset, so they fill the arches, and with a spigot hub channel exact at 65.1mm
But after googling beadlock, I know understand why they have the rim on the inside face.
Very cool.

Agree with the above.

Having taken a little Daihatsu Terios on some 4WD tracks in Costa Rica last summer, I couldn’t imagine doing same in a Cali for the noise reasons you mention above.

Even Swampermen have delicate ear drums.

Agreed re a Crafter. We took a Defender off-road around the Lake District at some serious lean angles, I wouldn’t want to do the same in anything taller.

Foggy day in winter. The solar struggle! 520 watts of solar deployed and I’m pulling a whopping 30 watts.

68b2210101e5343cc24f95d40d65ec09.jpg

Foggy day in winter. The solar struggle! 520 watts of solar deployed and I’m pulling a whopping 30 watts.

68b2210101e5343cc24f95d40d65ec09.jpg

Angle of attack is completely wrong :)
With all those Swamper attributes you should be above the cloud line on some Swiss Alp peak.

Angle of attack is completely wrong :)
With all those Swamper attributes you should be above the cloud line on some Swiss Alp peak.

This is one of my favorite spots close to home. Great 5G internet and normally with sun it’s a perfect angle. I often get 500Mbps here.

That’s astounding. I realise the theoretical max speeds of 5G are much higher.

I’m lucky if I see >15Mbps where I live. I just had a look at UK speeds:

“Wokingham in England boasts the fastest average download speed, at over 267 Mbps. Great Yarmouth has the slowest average download speed at just under 19 Mbps.”

We are a tech laggard. A nation of savages.

Personally, if money was no object, i'd be grabbing myself a Starlink straight away, and just utilise the van as our home router too :D

Downside is that whenever the van leaves the house, so too would the CCTV connectivity and smarthome functionality - along with any hopes of anyone at home getting their fix of Bluey and Netflix :D

Personally, if money was no object, i'd be grabbing myself a Starlink straight away, and just utilise the van as our home router too :D

Downside is that whenever the van leaves the house, so too would the CCTV connectivity and smarthome functionality - along with any hopes of anyone at home getting their fix of Bluey and Netflix :D

Please tell me that Bluey is a kids programme about a kangaroo…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk