Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

A fearsome Welshwoman. I figure we will be fine. I'm sure I used to sleep in the Splittie in freezing temps without a care. But probably wind assisted by a case of beer in those days.

Might be getting an Isotop from a seller on here.

Recommended?

You could get a CaliHeat tube that connects to the heater vent downstairs and routes some of the heat upstairs. To be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Mr Buddy propane heater in the drive away awning and this works great!

Might just have to get myself one of those, any concerns regarding fume outputs etc? That'll be her first question when I apply for the approval obviously.

A fearsome Welshwoman. I figure we will be fine. I'm sure I used to sleep in the Splittie in freezing temps without a care. But probably wind assisted by a case of beer in those days.

Might be getting an Isotop from a seller on here.

Recommended?

Welsh you say - they are a hardy bunch. Probably won’t need the heater.

Or even the van, she can sleep in a field with nothing more than a few nettle leaves for shelter…

Biggest factor is how you think you'll get on with the toddler in a relatively small space for the evening when it's dark by 5:30pm and too cold to sit in an awning. They're all different of course but the thought of spending a whole evening shut inside a small van with my three and one year olds absolutely horrifies me...am waiting for slightly warmer days first :D
How to say 'I'm certainly going to buy a Grand Cali at the end of the season', without actually saying it :D

How to say 'I'm certainly going to buy a Grand Cali at the end of the season', without actually saying it :D
Ha probably but am feeling a bit uplifted by the prospect of having a heater in the awning. Hopefully they won’t get too cold in there :D

Last edited:
Might just have to get myself one of those, any concerns regarding fume outputs etc? That'll be her first question when I apply for the approval obviously.

It’s designed for indoor use. It has an oxygen sensor and motion sensor both of which will cut off the unit and shut it down. I have a CO2 detector and it’s never set it off nonetheless! Always have some airflow of course for some circulation. Kept us toasty in -10C!

My thrifty mind (increasingly broke), is debating a few nearly new wheel options today, before the grand reveal.

There are Fuel Zephyrs, Tomahawk Katos and Oz Rally Raids.

I love the RR but having seen them in the metal on a couple of vans locally, they are more sport than swamp. Somehow not quite right in context of a van.

Zephyr vs Kato
I’ve had the Kato’s for a year and still think nothing beats them for style and damn good looks.
They look like a bearded stocky tall bloke with an axe over his shoulder, and a coffee in a tin mug in the other. Nuff said :)
I am biased tho.

Personally prefer the Zephyrs but am pretty sure I read somewhere (can't seem to find it now) that water pools at the bottom of them when the vehicle's standing still which may make corrosion a bit more likely.
I spoke to the guy who had just put these Zephyrs on his van - and water pooling in the rim was something he mentioned to me. Shame, cos they do look good.

20240204_111027.jpg

Project Swamper has started in earnest. Picked up the wagon this afternoon by way of a coffee & Swamper table collection with @wildslammer22 - great to meet.

So far, so good. Bellows stress tested with lashing horizontal rain. Upstairs bed seems comfy, mattress better than the one in the 22 plate Cali we rented. Have they upgraded? 4 deg C and pretty warm.

Totally foxed by the Project Camper screens. Sides work great - is there a knack to the front one @Corradobrit?

Tomorrow I’ll fell trees with my bare hands and whittle a picnic table.

Project Swamper has started in earnest. Picked up the wagon this afternoon by way of a coffee & Swamper table collection with @wildslammer22 - great to meet.

So far, so good. Bellows stress tested with lashing horizontal rain. Upstairs bed seems comfy, mattress better than the one in the 22 plate Cali we rented. Have they upgraded? 4 deg C and pretty warm.

Totally foxed by the Project Camper screens. Sides work great - is there a knack to the front one @Corradobrit?

Unfold, slot the lower edge into the gap, position the mirror stem into the v cut and let the magnets close the gap and finally fold down the sun visors to push the wings against the windscreen. Job done.

Great to meet you earlier. Hope project swamper is a success.

If the wife doesn’t approve I can provide co-ordinates of some safe spaces on Dartmoor. Don’t forget to disable the tracker though…

On second thoughts I believe Dartmoor was once part of the Dumnoni kingdom a fierce Celtic tribe with links to Wales, you might not be safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfold, slot the lower edge into the gap, position the mirror stem into the v cut and let the magnets close the gap and finally fold down the sun visors to push the wings against the windscreen. Job done.

I like the look of those, might order one just for the screen when stealth camping to mitigate condensation. How small does it pack down?

I like the look of those, might order one just for the screen when stealth camping to mitigate condensation. How small does it pack down?

The front folds in half, and 2 sides pack flat. Total thickness about 2cm

I’d say they are a cut above anything else I’v tried. Magnets on the side windows are excellent and finish is very good.

The black facing side is nice too as opposed to the usual reflective silver.

As a guide, the bag is about 2/3 the length of the tyre table and same width. Easily pops under the rear shelf.

Who knew it was so simple as to use the sun visors to hold them in place. So obvious when you know.

I was trying to wedge the tension poles into place and succeeding before they promptly fell out again.

Welsh tensions flared. I think we nearly reached DEFCON 5.

Let’s have a pic of your new wagon Juan so we can look back on it and laugh at its utter patheticness once you’ve finished the mods.

Was going for third time lucky on the wheels last night after the York and the Rogue issues, checked Transporter HQ at 3pm, ‘oh I’ll order those when I get home’. 6pm ‘Your item is out of stock’. Ever get the feeling some things aren’t meant to be? Starting to feel like that about the whole bloody van with bellowsgate etc.

Last edited:
Let’s have a pic of your new wagon Juan so we can look back on it and laugh at its utter patheticness once you’ve finished the mods.

Was going for third time lucky on the wheels last night after the York and the Rogue issues, checked Transporter HQ at 3pm, ‘oh I’ll order those when I get home’. 6pm ‘Your item is out of stock’. Ever get the feeling some things aren’t meant to be? Starting to feel like that about the whole bloody van with bellowsgate etc.
You need another trip.

Physics dictates it doesn't mitigate condensation just moves it to the next coldest place, exposed metal, inside kitchen or wardrobe units etc.
Only ventilation and use of the parking heater mitigates condensation on cold surfaces.

Photo for reference on top of tyre table bag. The top section folds over about 6” from how it is in the pic

IMG_1639.jpeg

Here it is next to the Abarth. Little & large. The VW wheels vex me.

Having seen @wildslammer22’s van in the metal, my desire to pony up for some Twin Monotubes has increased.

In equal proportions to my wife’s likelihood to blow a gasket.

Newtonian I suppose. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

IMG_1637.jpeg

Physics dictates it doesn't mitigate condensation just moves it to the next coldest place, exposed metal, inside kitchen or wardrobe units etc.
Only ventilation and use of the parking heater mitigates condensation on cold surfaces.
Last night that next coldest place seemed to be my nose.