Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

I won’t be travelling with a tour which makes my recovery gear choices even more important! A spare is non negotiable though and it seems like mounting underneath will be fine. Certainly the cheapest and most convenient option even if access is slightly compromised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely! I didn’t want to mount one on the back rack as I wanted to mount a 20L water tank. So underneath was the only option. Seriously consider front and rear recovery hooks as well. Easier to get stuck vs puncturing a BFG!

235/55R17 or 215/65R17
based on Transporter as well, the same standard sizes for Multivan/Caravelle.

Thanks, that’s useful to know. Should be fine with a 235/65, a few people including Webbah have said they will fit. Worst case I may have to fit deflated but that isn’t an issue as I carry a good compressor.

Thanks, that’s useful to know. Should be fine with a 235/65, a few people including Webbah have said they will fit. Worst case I may have to fit deflated but that isn’t an issue as I carry a good compressor.

Mount it with 1 bar pressure and spray silicone on the Tyre and it will slide right in.

Absolutely! I didn’t want to mount one on the back rack as I wanted to mount a 20L water tank. So underneath was the only option. Seriously consider front and rear recovery hooks as well. Easier to get stuck vs puncturing a BFG!

Yes I will have both, a winch is a possibility too. I need to get to a weigh bridge to see how much payload slack I have. If only I had the Goldschmidt air suspension!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I will have both, a winch is a possibility too. I need to get to a weigh bridge to see how much payload slack I have. If only I had the Goldschmidt air suspension!

The reason I didn’t mount a winch is the weight. 175Kg if I recall hanging under the motor. I’m already running heavy as I always drive fully loaded. I carry a high quality towing cable and always go with friends. Using 2 vans and recovery hooks/tow hitch is enough in most cases and if touring with an off-road company they have a support vehicle.

The reason I didn’t mount a winch is the weight. 175Kg if I recall hanging under the motor. I’m already running heavy as I always drive fully loaded. I carry a high quality towing cable and always go with friends. Using 2 vans and recovery hooks/tow hitch is enough in most cases and if touring with an off-road company they have a support vehicle.

Weight is my main concern too. Travelling solo does carry additional risks so it’s about finding a good compromise. I’m unlikely to be so far off the beaten track that recovery isn’t possible and I will have a satellite communicator.

Weight is my main concern too. Travelling solo does carry additional risks so it’s about finding a good compromise. I’m unlikely to be so far off the beaten track that recovery isn’t possible and I will have a satellite communicator.

If you think you’ll go somewhere with branches that can scratch up your van, consider bringing “track tape”. It’s like a quick fit PPF that you can quickly mount on the van to prevent scratches. I have to think more about that with a 2.85 meter van at medium height setting.

I’d be more concerned about curb rash in this case.

With apologies to the fairer sex…
1e696dbdfab4a8dea1935e3480831bfc.jpg

I still cant decide whether a black Cali with black wheels works or not. What are the opinions of the bearded regulars?

1709972362436.png

Obviously doesn’t look terrible, it’s black on black…does what it says on the tin.

Personally I’d look for a contrast but that’s just me.

The point is that everyone needs to calculate their usage first. Your definition is different than mine of what off grid means. And that’s ok! For me it means I can do anything I want as if I were hooked up on EHU. Nespresso, Air Fryer, charging e-bikes, laptops, iPads and phones, having dashcams and a permanent hotspot.

Solar irradiation drops significantly in the winter months. Panels are rated with summer irradiation of an average of 1000. In Winter this can drop to less than 200-400 for less hours in a given day versus spring and summer.

So to solve for Winter you need 3-4X the power you would in Summer with Solar. And that’s assuming it’s a sunny day.

Solve for Winter and any other season is a breeze.

So to be able to do all that for 5-6 days with no solar how much battery capacity do you have? My e bike battery is 700wh so only that 5-6 times is quite a lot. Add fridge and coffe maker to that?

So to be able to do all that for 5-6 days with no solar how much battery capacity do you have? My e bike battery is 700wh so only that 5-6 times is quite a lot. Add fridge and coffe maker to that?

I have 820 watts of solar with me at all times. 200 on the roof and a 400 and 220 panel. 200Ah of LiPo batteries. And also an adaptor to charge at any AC EV charging station. 2000 watt Victron inverter with a Cerbo GX to control it all remotely or have remote alarms sent.

The heater will handle 0C just fine. Just keep the closets/cupboards closed and bring a rug for the floor.

I've been in the van when it was -17C outside overnight, the heater on 4 and we were rather toasty. Roof was down though.

The only trouble we had was trying to sleep when some local 'youfs' showed up at 1am with their Subaru to enjoy the knee deep snow covered road. They were having a blast though, those Soobies are pretty handy on the snow
The heater handles -20 without problems.

I have 820 watts of solar with me at all times. 200 on the roof and a 400 and 220 panel. 200Ah of LiPo batteries. And also an adaptor to charge at any AC EV charging station. 2000 watt Victron inverter with a Cerbo GX to control it all remotely or have remote alarms sent.

You where suggesting that batteries are more important than solar and I where suggesting the opposite since I do fine with one 80Ah battery.

You where suggesting that batteries are more important than solar and I where suggesting the opposite since I do fine with one 80Ah battery.

I was stating that you should solve for winter and any season is easy after that. Your AGM battery only has 50-60% usable capacity so about 40-50Ah. My 200Ah has 90% usable capacity or 180Ah available. I have multiple ways to charge them whether solar, EV charger, or a 100A BuckBoost DC Charger with the motor. In Winter without solar the more capacity you have the better off you are before having to charge with alternate methods.

But absolutely I would start with batteries first.