Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Here it is next to the Abarth. Little & large. The VW wheels vex me.

Having seen @wildslammer22’s van in the metal, my desire to pony up for some Twin Monotubes has increased.

In equal proportions to my wife’s likelihood to blow a gasket.

Newtonian I suppose. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

View attachment 119915

The monotubes would look great with Ascot Grey

Just don’t be tempted by the bronze ones or this thread might enter Ground Hog Day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Physics dictates it doesn't mitigate condensation just moves it to the next coldest place, exposed metal, inside kitchen or wardrobe units etc.
Only ventilation and use of the parking heater mitigates condensation on cold surfaces.

I with the double glazed windows I rarely suffer from condensation (I nearly always run the heater and do have the van vented). The windscreen is the only place I experience it when stealth camping and using the built in blinds, I was assuming the Project blinds would mitigate this by fully insulating that large expanse of glass?

Having read that leaving a wafer-thin mint on the upstairs mattress can cause untold damage, I thought I’d get some experienced advice.

Apart from a fitted sheet, would a thin fleece blanket be ok?

Having read that leaving a wafer-thin mint on the upstairs mattress can cause untold damage, I thought I’d get some experienced advice.

Apart from a fitted sheet, would a thin fleece blanket be ok?

I’ve stored my S2S inflatable mattress and a folded Pucer Screen in the roof for over two years with no issues. I don’t have the frolli (spelling?) spring mattress though which might make space even more restrictive?

Maybe try the Princess and the Pea test…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve partly solved my feeble reverse light issue by fitting these

Good quality at a reasonable price, 5 minute job to fit and they are about 100 times brighter than the pathetic candle bulbs fitted as standard. Obviously not as Swamper as fitting proper flood lights to the back but still make tricky reversing manoeuvres off grid a bit less stressful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More Swamper mods space mate and front runner typhoon bag with front runner stainless eye bolts and ratchet straps
View attachment 119912View attachment 119913
I promised you some photos of the Direct 4x4 underbody protection. This is the front skid plate, went on really easy and seems a good compromise between sturdiness and weight (it’s around 11kg and 6mm thick). It’s vented and you only lose a couple of mm of ground clearance. I haven’t got a picture of the rear diff plate yet, will do that when I sort the spare tyre. It was a bit more of a faff to fit but same CNC machined 6mm aluminium. Overall I’m pleased, no noticeable extra road noise and very good value compared to Hess and the like. After all it’s a chunk of metal that only has one job ie to take a beating from the elements (it’s already had one bang so probably paid for itself already!) so the car doesn’t! Would have been nice if it were a stainless steel or black finish but the cream colour isn’t at all jarring against my black lower bodywork, it’s actually quite a nice subtle contrast. Might not work as well aesthetically with your Candy white though?

IMG_5849.jpeg

I promised you some photos of the Direct 4x4 underbody protection. This is the front skid plate, went on really easy and seems a good compromise between sturdiness and weight (it’s around 11kg and 6mm thick). It’s vented and you only lose a couple of mm of ground clearance. I haven’t got a picture of the rear diff plate yet, will do that when I sort the spare tyre. It was a bit more of a faff to fit but same CNC machined 6mm aluminium. Overall I’m pleased, no noticeable extra road noise and very good value compared to Hess and the like. After all it’s a chunk of metal that only has one job ie to take a beating from the elements (it’s already had one bang so probably paid for itself already!) so the car doesn’t! Would have been nice if it were a stainless steel or black finish but the cream colour isn’t at all jarring against my black lower bodywork, it’s actually quite a nice subtle contrast. Might not work as well aesthetically with your Candy white though?

View attachment 119922
That looks spot on i guess I need to spend more money lol

So i'll confess - whilst I understand the principles of tyre size, offset, etc, there's just too much information out there to know.

17 alloys w/ 235/65/17 General Grabber AT3

My understanding is that these should fit - the question is, does anyone have any experience as to whether these will change the real world speed versus speedo and would I need to go smaller to retain speedo accuracy? And will my adaptive cruise still work?!

So i'll confess - whilst I understand the principles of tyre size, offset, etc, there's just too much information out there to know.

My understanding is that these should fit - the question is, does anyone have any experience as to whether these will change the real world speed versus speedo and would I need to go smaller to retain speedo accuracy? And will my adaptive cruise still work?!

All will work fine with cruise and speedo should be ok. Best to check deviation of current speedo with a GPS navigation. I am running this size and my speedo is more accurate now.

I have 4Motion.
Run 236/65 r17 AT tyres.
Up and down M40.
Adaptive works great.
With the Kato’s, they have a less offset so they stick out further.
No issues in 5k miles.
Speed o meter now shows perfect MPH to WaZe.

It’s designed for indoor use. It has an oxygen sensor and motion sensor both of which will cut off the unit and shut it down. I have a CO2 detector and it’s never set it off nonetheless! Always have some airflow of course for some circulation. Kept us toasty in -10C!

Hey Webbah,

I believe you have 235/65/17’s? Can I ask how much ground clearance you lose with the spare mounted i.e. is the spare much lower than the rear diff?

Thanks

Hey Webbah,

I believe you have 235/65/17’s? Can I ask how much ground clearance you lose with the spare mounted i.e. is the spare much lower than the rear diff?

Thanks

No issue with clearance for me. I took some photos for reference:

d76d4352d071f2e2cab933668e7be461.jpg

e5b25e6c426c572fb558df4aa4422180.jpg

Hey Webbah,

Thanks

I suppose ground clearance is only dependent on the width, 235 in this case - same as standard, or am I wrong?!

I suppose ground clearance is only dependent on the width, 235 in this case - same as standard, or am I wrong?!

Not sure. My van has never had a spare. The KO2’s are seriously tough tyres which mitigates the risk a bit.

I have been in two minds about fitting one. I’m very unlikely to puncture the BFG on road and having a spare underneath is far from ideal if you have to change a wheel off road. I have a trip coming up next year where I will be uncomfortable without a spare. It looks like clearance isn’t really compromised and that also makes access slightly easier too if I need to get at it on dirt!

Not sure. My van has never had a spare. The KO2’s are seriously tough tyres which mitigates the risk a bit.

I have been in two minds about fitting one. I’m very unlikely to puncture the BFG on road and having a spare underneath is far from ideal if you have to change a wheel off road. I have a trip coming up next year where I will be uncomfortable without a spare. It looks like clearance isn’t really compromised and that also makes access slightly easier too if I need to get at it on dirt!

If you go on any off-road tours with companies having a spare is mandatory in addition to recovery hooks, etc. that’s why I have mine.

If you go on any off-road tours with companies having a spare is mandatory in addition to recovery hooks, etc. that’s why I have mine.

I won’t be travelling with a tour which makes my recovery gear choices even more important! A spare is non negotiable though and it seems like mounting underneath will be fine. Certainly the cheapest and most convenient option even if access is slightly compromised.