Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Ouch, that sucks! Similar issues with us in Switzerland as we are not fully EU. I also have the tire table, bag and the laundry line kit that attaches to airline rails coming from them. They have some nice stuff but not sure what the minimum is. One option could be to look into freight forwarders? This is what I use for situations like this with companies in Germany that throw me curve balls. I am sure there is something like this for the UK?

Thanks, that’s a good tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that’s a good tip!

And for the US I use Stackry. They rock! And they are based in a state without sales tax. They will ship to the UK as well:

Falken wildpeak trail, Michelin cross latitude will be the 2 I have shortlisted when I go swamper stylee.

Well it's been too long since something was posted here.

I need the opinions of the masses...! Below are the options.

1. Black Rhino Midnight Black Warlord alloys w/ BFG KO2s (245/65/17)
2. Black OZ Rally Raids w/ BFG KO2s (245/65/17)
3. Black OZ Rally Raids w/ Falkens (equally could do Black Rhino's instead) (245/65/17)
4. Standard

Thoughts from the Cali swamper establishment welcome.

View attachment 123093

View attachment 123094

View attachment 123095

View attachment 123096
Love Rally Raids, but they look more sporty than swampy on a Cali. BFG are iconic, but having rattled about in my mate’s Beach with K02s the noise /ride would put me off.

Not driven anything with Wildpeaks, but all my research steers me toward them.

How are you going with your choice?

To all you swamp creatures. Taken the family on spec to Barton on Sea.

Any good camping spots nearby or New Forest?

Longbeech campsite, need you own loo.
Cheap and you can park inbetween the trees so feels like stealth parking. N/F car parks are one of the worst places to stealth park, full of teenages in cars and dogging sites!

Agree with @thebluemerle about the Forest sites. They will be rammed and noisy this weekend. You picked a good night though, the Northern Lights should be out again tonight. There is a little spot where I sometimes camp literally on the beach (Beaulieu river) but only room for one and I probably wouldn’t risk in a 2WD

Wild camping is possible near Hurst Castle but you’ll need to arrive late as it’ll be busy until early evening.

Love Rally Raids, but they look more sporty than swampy on a Cali. BFG are iconic, but having rattled about in my mate’s Beach with K02s the noise /ride would put me off.

Not driven anything with Wildpeaks, but all my research steers me toward them.

How are you going with your choice?
Currently leaning strongly towards the Black Rhino Warlord Midnights w/ Falken Wildpeaks.

Also got some full black sequential side indicators to complete the black theme. Might one day see if we can get the bike rack painted too.... cos. Black.

Last edited:
Agree with @thebluemerle about the Forest sites. They will be rammed and noisy this weekend. You picked a good night though, the Northern Lights should be out again tonight. There is a little spot where I sometimes camp literally on the beach (Beaulieu river) but only room for one and I probably wouldn’t risk in a 2WD

Wild camping is possible near Hurst Castle but you’ll need to arrive late as it’ll be busy until early evening.
Tried Red Shoot in the end. Seen it mentioned on here.

Bit more child friendly than dogging parks I figured.

Well the deed is done! Should be delivered tomorrow.

Matte black Black Rhino Warlords with Falken Wildpeaks 235/65/17. Rough idea of what they'll look like (sizing and angle is off) View attachment 123283

Whoop! Now just make sure the wheel lugs are long enough to catch a minimum of 6-7 threads (full turns) and tighten them to 180nm.

You jest, but a close friend of mine actually suggested this. I verbally slapped him for it.
I have a good friend who would paint the brake callipers on his Ford Cortina GLX. He also added spots to make it look like a 1600E.

He’s on his third marriage and counting. Some say you reap what you sow, I couldn’t possibly comment…

Still to do some decent shots, but here's the rough and ready after the alloys and tyres arriving yesterday and being fitted 2 hours later!

Absurd how much softer the ride is (in a good way). Still the same suspension, but it just feels sturdier. No doubt placebo thrown in.

Only downside is fouling of the sliding door inner fascia against the tyre (literally a millimeter too wide). No marking etc on the inner door fascia, so i'm not concerned.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-15 at 19.32.53_660c09e6.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-15 at 19.32.54_1669c1b1.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-15 at 19.32.53_9142d418.jpg

Still to do some decent shots, but here's the rough and ready after the alloys and tyres arriving yesterday and being fitted 2 hours later!

Absurd how much softer the ride is (in a good way). Still the same suspension, but it just feels sturdier. No doubt placebo thrown in.

Only downside is fouling of the sliding door inner fascia against the tyre (literally a millimeter too wide). No marking etc on the inner door fascia, so i'm not concerned.

View attachment 123411

View attachment 123412

View attachment 123413

I can get you a bracket for the sliding door to fix that. My mechanic is the one that developed the one for Hess.

View attachment 123411

View attachment 123412

View attachment 123413

That looks great! If I had a swamperman sticker there would be one in the post!

Tell me more...

Just spoke to my mechanic. He’s bringing a Landrover to the UK and can bring a bracket with him if you need it to avoid shipping from Switzerland. He claims that if you get a suspension lift this likely won’t rub as much but with the bracket you will have no issues.

Send an email to Sven Fischer at Buel Garage and tell him Craig sent you.

Just spoke to my mechanic. He’s bringing a Landrover to the UK and can bring a bracket with him if you need it to avoid shipping from Switzerland. He claims that if you get a suspension lift this likely won’t rub as much but with the bracket you will have no issues.

Send an email to Sven Fischer at Buel Garage and tell him Craig sent you.

Bracket would be ideal to avoid unecessary vehicle height. Mind PMing me the total cost? We can then do a video on it as I can imagine a number of folks jump on the swamper setup and dont consider this.