Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Yes, think these are Fuel rips offs. Though they have some Monotube about them.

Latter are my favourites. But at £1.2k wheels only + VAT + Courier, might have to wait.

These are £500 with minimal miles. Could be winners for winter.
I'd be wary of a facebook scam , be careful.

I think that Elite Wheels must be enjoying this thread as much as us. An Oz Raid black gloss + Michelin Latitude Cross combo this time. 17" with 235/55/103H. Thanks to Charlie & Elite.
I wanted to try to keep to the recommended tyre size so went with these. Would prob fit IMG_6445.jpegwinter tyres if I go to Europe in the snow.

View attachment 124511View attachment 124512View attachment 124513Really pleased with my choice. And I don’t think I’ll be messing with the suspension either. The 235/65/17’s fill the wheel arches nicely with no rubbing. Speedo about right at 30mph, 1mph under at 50mph and 2mph under at 70mph (assuming Waze is accurate). Ride is excellent with no discernible increase in road noise. Will have to do a decent run to see how the mpg stacks up. Just need to remember I’ll be over 2m now!
This has probably been covered on here. I am looking to go from 18" to 17". At the moment I'm looking at Davenports but watch these threads with interest.

My question is, do you let the insurance know the van is modified. The wheels and the non standard size of tyres. Insurance is not a problem until you are upside down in a ditch and they say you are not insured.

Most of these wheels have et of around 35, could not find any with et55. They are also 8J, if you put the standard size tyre (235/ 55 R17) are the rims too wide for the tyre.

This has probably been covered on here. I am looking to go from 18" to 17". At the moment I'm looking at Davenports but watch these threads with interest.

My question is, do you let the insurance know the van is modified. The wheels and the non standard size of tyres. Insurance is not a problem until you are upside down in a ditch and they say you are not insured.

Most of these wheels have et of around 35, could not find any with et55. They are also 8J, if you put the standard size tyre (235/ 55 R17) are the rims too wide for the tyre.
Hi yes I have informed my insurance company of all modifications it has made no difference to the price hardly I am insured with admiral been really good so far

You need
Dimensions: 8x17
Bolt Pattern/PCD: 5x120
Wheel Offset: ET35
Elite wheels are excellent to deal with put your van details into the search on their website and it brings up recommendations for your van
235/65/17 are perfect on the California also falken tyres are great just driven 3500k miles across Europe and they are so quiet no difference compared with original fitted tyres
But the only negative is slight increase in mpg

I have told my ins co that I have changed the wheels although they didn't seem so interested; and I have chosen a standard tyre size.

My view on the 8J vs 7J is that the standard 7J rims that came with my van are already a compromise to take both 215 and 235 tyres. Whenever I looked at my original wheels/tyres (Woodstock + 235's) there was a massive bulge at the bottom - in effect they bulged out by about an inch (presumably on the inner side too) so to me the 7J always looked too narrow. I think that the 235's look fine on the 8J's and bulge out just under 2cms (nerdy bulge photo attached). Obviously if you have 18inch rims then VW specify an 8J rim anyway so the size seems ok. As a caveat I am no expert on any of this - just spent too much time reading threads....IMG_6454.jpeg

You need
Dimensions: 8x17
Bolt Pattern/PCD: 5x120
Wheel Offset: ET35
Elite wheels are excellent to deal with put your van details into the search on their website and it brings up recommendations for your van
235/65/17 are perfect on the California also falken tyres are great just driven 3500k miles across Europe and they are so quiet no difference compared with original fitted tyres
But the only negative is slight increase in mpg
These wheels do look good, I've had enough of the ride quality on 18" rims. I'll run it past Safeguard and see what they say. I would probably stick with the correct size tyre as I use the Cali for towing. So wouldn't want to increase the hight of the tow ball.

Tyre calculation increasing the aspect ration of 65 would put the ball up about 1" and the speedo would be almost spot on.

Thanks, I've got lots to think about.

Screenshot_20240622_092552_Chrome.jpg

I have told my ins co that I have changed the wheels although they didn't seem so interested; and I have chosen a standard tyre size.

My view on the 8J vs 7J is that the standard 7J rims that came with my van are already a compromise to take both 215 and 235 tyres. Whenever I looked at my original wheels/tyres (Woodstock + 235's) there was a massive bulge at the bottom - in effect they bulged out by about an inch (presumably on the inner side too) so to me the 7J always looked too narrow. I think that the 235's look fine on the 8J's and bulge out just under 2cms (nerdy bulge photo attached). Obviously if you have 18inch rims then VW specify an 8J rim anyway so the size seems ok. As a caveat I am no expert on any of this - just spent too much time reading threads....View attachment 125045
They look fine, not looked at my 18, although the standard tyre for the 18" 8J is 255 wide. Just got to pick which wheels. Yours look good, what are like to clean, 16 slots to brush out. My Parmestons are a nightmare to clean, the small slots are too narrow. Some of the 6 spoke ones look good as well.

Looks like I'm on the same journey as CamperFam. What did you go for in the end. We need pictures, the photo shopped ones were good to see them on the van, you must have far too time on your hands.

Edit, just looking through the thread and noticed Camperfam had got his wheels. Probably the ones I would go for, they do look good. Just got to convince the bank manager.

Last edited:
Hi All. Been watching this thread a while now and I’m thinking of going down the swamper-lite route. Like the idea of no curbed rims, campsite traction and beefy good looks while retailing some on-road manners.

I’m down to either the Black Rhino Warlords or the Oz Rally Raid coupled with either Falken Wildpeak or BFG Trail Terrain 235/65/17’s. And if there’s room, lowering 30mm to get back under the 2m height (more sports swamper then!)

I’m leaning towards the Rally Raids due to the TÜV rating and cleaner look.

Anyone gone down either route in the end? Any pictures? Any similar options?

Re tyres, I love the look of the BFG All Terrain but I just don’t think I’d be able to live with the trade offs on road, unless someone can convince me otherwise! Do the Wildpeak’s or Trail Terrian look aggressive enough?

Now firmly entering the analysis paralysis period!
Option
Have your current wheels painted black and fit Michelin Agilis Cross Climate 235/60/17 for a tyre that lasts, will do the off and on road job required. Costly.
You will still be able to lower without any issues.

I’ll be selling my Kato’s and Michelin Agilis Cross Climates in the coming weeks