Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Off topic, but relevant here I think, as all you swamp types have off-grid setups.

I am currently charging the EF D2 using the 12V socket in the boot. This is I believe run from the leisure batteries.

Do any of you have a better setup? I tried charging from the dash 12V, but got tired of moving the pack around, so ran an extension cable from the boot under the seat.

I guess I need to physically unplug the EF when off grid, otherwise it will just deplete the LB?

Is there any workaround? Can I turn off the charging via the EF app? Flattened the LB again last weekend forgetting to unplug it!
I would advise against that arrangement. Its easier to leave the EF unattended possibly charging to the point that fire could be caused. The 12V wire and connector can get VERY hot. My OEM connector melted, although this may have been when EF allowed a higher charge amperage.

Off topic, but relevant here I think, as all you swamp types have off-grid setups.

I am currently charging the EF D2 using the 12V socket in the boot. This is I believe run from the leisure batteries.

Do any of you have a better setup? I tried charging from the dash 12V, but got tired of moving the pack around, so ran an extension cable from the boot under the seat.

I guess I need to physically unplug the EF when off grid, otherwise it will just deplete the LB?

Is there any workaround? Can I turn off the charging via the EF app? Flattened the LB again last weekend forgetting to unplug it!
Here's another option to the EcoFlow alternator charger they offer:

I would advise against that arrangement. Its easier to leave the EF unattended possibly charging to the point that fire could be caused. The 12V wire and connector can get VERY hot. My OEM connector melted, although this may have been when EF allowed a higher charge amperage.
How do you charge? On grid before you set off and then use it until it depletes?

I’ve set the charging to 6A on the app.

I realise it’s inefficient way to charge, but don’t want to throw too much £ at boiling a kettle for a brew!

How do you charge? On grid before you set off and then use it until it depletes?

I realise it’s inefficient way to charge, but don’t want to throw too much £ at boiling a kettle for a brew!

ee74aff51ee4768c4a07a29886f63440.jpg

This is the swamper way…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use max permissible charge 8A I think but the EF sits in the gap between the 2 seats and I ALWAYS disconnect when the Cali is parked up.
I top up usually with a portable 100W solar panel (slow) or when on EHU.
I'm looking at the new gizmo from EF as this arrangement is less than ideal in practice, especally as I rarely visit formal campsites

my solar panel controller (a standard bluetooth victron one from Roger) has a second output for running the fridge or charging a spare battery - it does all the power management itself i believe. i think it can be set up to only start charging the EF after the main battery is full, but i will need to double check that.

my solar panel controller (a standard bluetooth victron one from Roger) has a second output for running the fridge or charging a spare battery - it does all the power management itself i believe. i think it can be set up to only start charging the EF after the main battery is full, but i will need to double check that.

I believe that is only a trickle charger too. So likely only 1A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is what it says on the victron site:​

3.8. Load output​

The solar charger is equipped with a physical and virtual load output.

3.8.1. Physical load output​

The DC loads in the system can be connected to the load output terminals. The solar charger controls the load output and disconnects the loads if the battery voltage drops too low, safeguarding the battery against too-deep discharges.

The disconnect voltage of the load output and the battery management algorithm can be configured via a jumper in the VE.Direct port or via the VictronConnect app. For more information refer to the Load output settings chapter.

The current rating of the load output is 15A or 20A (depending on the MPPT model) and is short-circuit proof.

I'm no sure what all the means, but i plug my fridge into this or my EF if its very sunny.

There's a reason Jeep decided to use the Falken Wildpeak AT3WA as default on the Jeep Gladiator.
Looks like that’s a review for the AT3W not the AT3WA. I’ve just discovered they are quite different tyres. Thought I’d settled on these until I realised I’d been looking at the AT3W’s not the WA’s. Probably the WA’s are more suited to road but they just don’t look as chunky! Will re look at the reviews I’ve been watching and see if they are on the W’s or WA’s

Last edited:
IMG_9087.jpegIMG_9091.jpegIMG_9090.jpegReally pleased with my choice. And I don’t think I’ll be messing with the suspension either. The 235/65/17’s fill the wheel arches nicely with no rubbing. Speedo about right at 30mph, 1mph under at 50mph and 2mph under at 70mph (assuming Waze is accurate). Ride is excellent with no discernible increase in road noise. Will have to do a decent run to see how the mpg stacks up. Just need to remember I’ll be over 2m now!

View attachment 124511View attachment 124512View attachment 124513Really pleased with my choice. And I don’t think I’ll be messing with the suspension either. The 235/65/17’s fill the wheel arches nicely with no rubbing. Speedo about right at 30mph, 1mph under at 50mph and 2mph under at 70mph (assuming Waze is accurate). Ride is excellent with no discernible increase in road noise. Will have to do a decent run to see how the mpg stacks up. Just need to remember I’ll be over 2m now!
Looks good, how much were the tyres or was it a wheel/tyre package.

View attachment 124511View attachment 124512View attachment 124513Really pleased with my choice. And I don’t think I’ll be messing with the suspension either. The 235/65/17’s fill the wheel arches nicely with no rubbing. Speedo about right at 30mph, 1mph under at 50mph and 2mph under at 70mph (assuming Waze is accurate). Ride is excellent with no discernible increase in road noise. Will have to do a decent run to see how the mpg stacks up. Just need to remember I’ll be over 2m now!
These look amazing with the Ascot Grey. Heard a lot of good reports on the Falken's too. Great combo.

Think they have a tint of bronze?
Look great in bronze ;)

Don't forget the mpg will be out about 2 or so too. (So it will look a bit worse than it is)