Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Its like a poor mans Porsche 959 Dakar. Just do it.

Porsche bewahrt die Geschichte des 959 Paris-Dakar - Porsche ...Porsche bewahrt die Geschichte des 959 Paris-Dakar - Porsche ...1,440 × 812
Funnily enough, I suspect that’s why it appeared on my marketplace feed.

I am obsessed about turning my 996 TT into a Safari car.

Interesting history on that MX-5. Built fir a stag weekend, by a group of auto engineers.

I just chatted with the guy selling. He ran the test & development program for the Aston Valkyrie. One of the others involved is a powertrain sound quality expert for all Aston products.

Debating Black Rhino Warlords va Twin Monotube AT Zeros (same as AT1 without crash ring)

@CamperFam you have a vested interest!

What thoughts?

View attachment 127767

View attachment 127769

FWIW (and you can probably guess my preference) I think the Warlords are extremely good looking wheels but IMO the ‘spoke’ look works better on a sporty van aesthetic whereas I favour the more ‘rugged’ looking Monotubes on a Swamper build.

Both will look fantastic though and the @CamperFam set for sale with Wildpeaks is extremely tempting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW (and you can probably guess my preference) I think the Warlords are extremely good looking wheels but IMO the ‘spoke’ look works better on a sporty van aesthetic whereas I favour the more ‘rugged’ looking Monotubes on a Swamper build.

Both will look fantastic though and the @CamperFam set for sale with Wildpeaks is extremely tempting!

The challenge i'm having right now is that the longer they're for sale, the more I want to take the existing tyres off and put on a set of BFGs for the GC.... :D.

So if anyone would prefer a set of Wildpeaks for cheap, that's an option.

The challenge i'm having right now is that the longer they're for sale, the more I want to take the existing tyres off and put on a set of BFGs for the GC.... :D.

I might take you up on that, my KO2’s are nearing end of life. If you do decide to go that way let me know and I’ll DM you.

Doh, ignore that - I just remembered your wheels are 17”!

You read my mind. Check your inbox

Had ditch lights fitted and ARB onboard compressor. I didn’t think the compressor could possibly fit but Jed at Campervanculture is a bit of a magician. I installed a Garmin PowerSwitch so I can operate the compressor and lights from an app on my phone, it also works on Apple CarPlay so no faffing with wiring relays or switches. Using the app to inflate tyres will be handy.

Converting to lithium next week and then the van is expedition ready - thank God, I thought the money pit would never end!

View attachment IMG_6195.jpeg

View attachment IMG_6193.jpeg

I really should be negotiating a referral fee for this stuff
Anfibio Rebel 2K Packraft acquired. Got a good deal on a used one with a lot of accessories. I didn't know it but there is even a sail setup for it.

Anfibio Rebel 2K – Main Page | Inflatable Kayaks & Packrafts

Don't get excited ladies, thats not me.

Anfibio Rebel 2K Packraft acquired. Got a good deal on a used one with a lot of accessories. I didn't know it but there is even a sail setup for it.

Anfibio Rebel 2K – Main Page | Inflatable Kayaks & Packrafts

Don't get excited ladies, thats not me.

Where do you attach the harpoon?

Congrats. A tad cheaper than the 959 Dakar
A snippet cheaper.

I’ve been obsessed with a Dakar/Safari build for years. But using my 996 TT Cab seemed excessive, and unlikely to use in anger.

This scratches the itch to use & abuse without a care in the world.

Had ditch lights fitted and ARB onboard compressor. I didn’t think the compressor could possibly fit but Jed at Campervanculture is a bit of a magician. I installed a Garmin PowerSwitch so I can operate the compressor and lights from an app on my phone, it also works on Apple CarPlay so no faffing with wiring relays or switches. Using the app to inflate tyres will be handy.

Converting to lithium next week and then the van is expedition ready - thank God, I thought the money pit would never end!

View attachment 128136

View attachment 128137
Would be interested to see how the conversion to lithium goes, if you have a few mins when done

No problem. Being done a week on Monday (got my dates mixed up) - I’ll post a quick initial review in here.
I've a feeling, that with 4 year old LA80's, the change to lithium will soon be upon me. Have to see what a kidney will fetch on the open market :happy

I've a feeling, that with 4 year old LA80's, the change to lithium will soon be upon me. Have to see what a kidney will fetch on the open market :happy
Two new LA80’s will cost circa £350-400. My 100ah LifePO4’s are £350 each but I’m over doubling the capacity and useable lifespan so it seems a (semi) sensible upgrade if your AGM’s are on the way out! Mine are 6 years old and the decline was very rapid over the last couple of months. So much so I must have inadvertently let them drop below 11v but with Solar I’m not sure how or when that happened…

The batteries I have purchased are heated (so will charge down to -20°c) and the BMS will allow them to be topped with the existing EHU charger so no need to change that. The big additional costs are for a B2B charger to replace the split charge relay. I’ve gone for a Victron 50a not because I need the extra charging power but I’ve been told they shed heat much better than the 30a which I figured is important given the lack of space under the passenger seat where it will be installed. The Victron Orion 50a is c£300 but you can pick up a 30a one for about half that, other well reviewed makes are also cheaper (eg Renogy) but my MPPT is Victron so I’m sticking to what I know, they are rock solid and I can use the existing app.

The batteries will drop in where the AGM’s are so it’s then around 3-5 hours work for a good Auto spark to do the work - so all in my kit & install will be around £15-1800. It’s probably a DIY job if you have the skills and confidence so there’s a big potential saving. If you want 230v off grid then you will need to add an inverter. It’s certainly not cheap but I reckon it’ll probably last the life of the van and of course significantly improve the off-grid capability. In my use case I can’t see a scenario where I’d ever have to pay for a campsite EHU again so that helps soften the blow! A ecoflow Delta 2 will set you back around £900 with less capacity albeit with a built in inverter. However it takes up valuable real estate in the van and charging via the 12v socket is sub optimal. You can buy their new gizmo and connect it to the alternator but then the cost is pretty close to the full LifePO4 upgrade.

Have I convinced you yet?! TBH I’m still trying to reassure myself that it’s money well spent as with my solar I could easily get 3-4 days off grid with my AGM’s before they started to fail…

To add some detail to the alternative option quoted above, I have the existing agm in my Beach, but added the Delta2 and the EcoFlow alternator charger. It came to about £1k altogether (with cash back), but an easy self-install. It’s connected to the leisure battery so not as efficient as when connected to the starter battery, but it would roughly double your AGM usable capacity and also give you a useful 1800w inverter. In this configuration I use the existing sockets and the Delta2 supplements the leisure battery. Add on the cost of two new AGMs and you are probably in the same ballpark as lithium batteries with a pro install. If you decide to go the lithium route you may find it useful to add an inverter for the added flexibility of having 240v.

Two new LA80’s will cost circa £350-400. My 100ah LifePO4’s are £350 each but I’m over doubling the capacity and useable lifespan so it seems a (semi) sensible upgrade if your AGM’s are on the way out! Mine are 6 years old and the decline was very rapid over the last couple of months. So much so I must have inadvertently let them drop below 11v but with Solar I’m not sure how or when that happened…

The batteries I have purchased are heated (so will charge down to -20°c) and the BMS will allow them to be topped with the existing EHU charger so no need to change that. The big additional costs are for a B2B charger to replace the split charge relay. I’ve gone for a Victron 50a not because I need the extra charging power but I’ve been told they shed heat much better than the 30a which I figured is important given the lack of space under the passenger seat where it will be installed. The Victron Orion 50a is c£300 but you can pick up a 30a one for about half that, other well reviewed makes are also cheaper (eg Renogy) but my MPPT is Victron so I’m sticking to what I know, they are rock solid and I can use the existing app.

The batteries will drop in where the AGM’s are so it’s then around 3-5 hours work for a good Auto spark to do the work - so all in my kit & install will be around £15-1800. It’s probably a DIY job if you have the skills and confidence so there’s a big potential saving. If you want 230v off grid then you will need to add an inverter. It’s certainly not cheap but I reckon it’ll probably last the life of the van and of course significantly improve the off-grid capability. In my use case I can’t see a scenario where I’d ever have to pay for a campsite EHU again so that helps soften the blow! A ecoflow Delta 2 will set you back around £900 with less capacity albeit with a built in inverter. However it takes up valuable real estate in the van and charging via the 12v socket is sub optimal. You can buy their new gizmo and connect it to the alternator but then the cost is pretty close to the full LifePO4 upgrade.

Have I convinced you yet?! TBH I’m still trying to reassure myself that it’s money well spent as with my solar I could easily get 3-4 days off grid with my AGM’s before they started to fail…
You have a very persuasive case and I can see myself following in your footsteps :happy.

I too, like the idea of not having to use EHU on a campsite, particularly as some sites seem to pluck the additional cost of EHU out of the air.

What battery make have you gone for, by the way?

My 100/20 MPPT is also Victron connected to 3x100w panels fitted by Roger at SCS.

The only doubt I have is that, in my early days of ownership and in my research period, I think I read that the 6.1 control panel wouldn't recognise LifePO4’s and would therefore pose a problem. I'm not sure if I dreamt this, though :talktothehand. And I'm not sure if this has been overcome yet. Time for some updated research, perhaps.

To add some detail to the alternative option quoted above, I have the existing agm in my Beach, but added the Delta2 and the EcoFlow alternator charger. It came to about £1k altogether (with cash back), but an easy self-install. It’s connected to the leisure battery so not as efficient as when connected to the starter battery, but it would roughly double your AGM usable capacity and also give you a useful 1800w inverter. In this configuration I use the existing sockets and the Delta2 supplements the leisure battery. Add on the cost of two new AGMs and you are probably in the same ballpark as lithium batteries with a pro install. If you decide to go the lithium route you may find it useful to add an inverter for the added flexibility of having 240v.

That’s a good set up.

Another option is to buy one of the bigger 230ah under seat batteries from either Fogstar or Roamer (c. £800). Loads of capacity and enough room under driver seat to fit a B2B charger and an inverter.

I have a subwoofer under my driver seat and a solar panel on roof with the MPPT mounted in the rear cabinet of my Ocean (connected to rear battery) so this wasn’t really an option due to the installation complication.

I’d imagine with 230ah battery solar would be unnecessary unless you were running high draw appliances or tend to stay in one place for days on end?

Just so this is clear in my mind. You will recoup the expenditure for the Lithium batteries and the solar charging system by saving the cost of EHU at campsites over the next 400 nights camping but only where EHU is available and you don't use it, by which time the batteries will need replacing. You will never break even!