Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

My understanding is the EHU charger for the Cali is set up for AGM but most Li batteries have a BMS that ensures they can be charged safely using that profile. As just about every BEV uses Li and applying the logic in reverse I guess it should work fine…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can’t comment on the Cali onboard charger, but I also have the stock Westfalia charger wired up with a switch. If I turn it on the EHU charges via pass through to the Westfalia charger to charge my starter battery. I can see this profile bulk charges at 14.2 volts and then floats at about 13.5. Won’t hurt any Lithium batteries. And with an EV charger I typically bail and leave once bulk is completed anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little trip to see Charlie at Elite Wheels in Reading today. Brilliant service, and Seymour is now fitted with 17" satin black OZ Rally Raids with 235 Falken Wildpeaks. They fill the arches nicely, even on stock suspension - no road noise and they roll lovely. No issues with ACC and speedo is now within 1mph of sat nav.
1000013696.jpg

20240828_170006.jpg

20240828_165951.jpg

20240828_170015.jpg

20240828_170035.jpg

thanks, much appreciated
So I had the install done yesterday, there was a slight hitch where one of the LifePO4 batteries I purchased didn’t want to fit in the rear battery compartment! After much juggling, fettling etc we got it in!

Fitting drama aside it was all very smooth and straightforward. The Victron B2B fits nicely under the passenger seat. The batteries were at 55% when installed and after and hour and a half drive home they were up to 96.8%. Everything in the van works as it should. The AGM profile on the VW charger works fine on EHU, it’s not optimal but the B2B and Solar chargers will ensure the batteries are fully charged and properly maintained. The trickle charge for the starter battery is retained too which is useful to know.

I checked the display this morning on my T6 and it doesn’t quite mirror the MPPT reading but it’s close at around 0.3v difference. I will continue to monitor to see if the display is a useful indicator or not post upgrade. The batteries are at 100% and the display says 90% but I assume that’s just the difference between the max voltage on AGM vs Li?

The Bluetooth app that connects to the batteries is very basic. If I had more time I would have waited for the Titan 105ah LifePO4 batteries to be restocked. They are c. £130 per unit more expensive but are the exact same size as the Varta AGM’s so no fitting dramas. They have a more powerful BMS to equalise the batteries (mine are showing as 100% and 99.6%, good enough but not perfect!). Titan also have a much more user friendly app.

IMG_6252.jpeg

IMG_6250.jpeg

View attachment IMG_6246.jpeg

Last edited:
So I had the install done yesterday, there was a slight hitch where one of the LifePO4 batteries I purchased didn’t want to fit in the rear battery compartment! After much juggling, fettling etc we got it in!

Fitting drama aside it was all very smooth and straightforward. The Victron B2B fits nicely under the passenger seat. The batteries were at 55% when installed and after and hour and a half drive home they were up to 96.8%. Everything in the van works as it should. The AGM profile on the VW charger works fine on EHU, it’s not optimal but the B2B and Solar chargers will ensure the batteries are fully charged and properly maintained. The trickle charge for the starter battery is retained too which is useful to know.

I checked the display this morning on my T6 and it doesn’t quite mirror the MPPT reading but it’s close at around 0.3v difference. I will continue to monitor to see if the display is a useful indicator or not post upgrade. The batteries are at 100% and the display says 90% but I assume that’s just the difference between the max voltage on AGM vs Li?

The Bluetooth app that connects to the batteries is very basic. If I had more time I would have waited for the Titan 105ah LifePO4 batteries to be restocked. They are c. £130 per unit more expensive but are the exact same size as the Varta AGM’s so no fitting dramas. They have a more powerful BMS to equalise the batteries (mine are showing as 100% and 99.6%, good enough but not perfect!). Titan also have a much more user friendly app.
Thanks for the update and good that it all went OK

Thanks for the update and good that it all went OK
Not exactly a controlled test environment but I’ve had the fridge switched on at level 5, I ran the diesel heater for an hour overnight and had my laptop plugged into the 12v socket for three hours of work. With the 100w solar panel in overcast conditions parked on my drive (in semi shade) the batteries are still at 99%. I’m waiting on a USB C lead for the new Starlink Mini to see how much that draws but I think I’m now self sufficient power wise. I reckon working remotely from the van is now a totally viable option.

In fact I might buy a hairdryer to use some of that spare capacity, I will need to get some hair first though…

Not exactly a controlled test environment but I’ve had the fridge switched on at level 5, I ran the diesel heater for an hour overnight and had my laptop plugged into the 12v socket for three hours of work. With the 100w solar panel in overcast conditions parked on my drive (in semi shade) the batteries are still at 99%. I’m waiting on a USB C lead for the new Starlink Mini to see how much that draws but I think I’m now self sufficient power wise. I reckon working remotely from the van is now a totally viable option.

In fact I might buy a hairdryer to use some of that spare capacity, I will need to get some hair first though…
You need the curling tongs & one of these surely?

IMG_4395.jpeg

IMG_4394.jpeg

Are your TMPS ok?

Are you ok?

I’m fretting here until this and other first-world problems are solved!
Now you mention it, I am feeling a little lightheaded… Have I done the right thing… oh no, I’m not sure :Nailbiting

Now you mention it, I am feeling a little lightheaded… Have I done the right thing… oh no, I’m not sure :Nailbiting
There’s no turning back now, you have entered the Swamper rabbit hole…

What on earth are those ghastly round things?

You know I love a steely Thomas. Cheeky bronze powder-coat/spray on those bad boys with the black centre caps put back on would be absolutely filthy :pinkbanana
It’s alright Jimmy, you just need some of these to finish them off nicely and ditch the hubcaps ;)