Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

From your picture there is not enough reds and blacks. Section 3.8 of manual Load Output. You appear to have your battery connected as a load, so your other thing is connected directly to your battery. I would look at the "battery protect" option. Also read section 3.8.3 battery life, make sure this is set correctly!
Plenty of reds and blacks !
How many do you want

There is 6, I ran this system for a year with no issues.
Have you got your glasses on your head again ;)

From your picture there is not enough reds and blacks. Section 3.8 of manual Load Output. You appear to have your battery connected as a load, so your other thing is connected directly to your battery. I would look at the "battery protect" option. Also read section 3.8.3 battery life, make sure this is set correctly!
Sorry, that was an early pic.

This is the setup.

IMG_4148.jpeg

Bit of a WIP with no pictures - but managed to get the EcoFlow wired into the GC so that with a flick of a switch, I can choose to use the EHU OR the Ecoflow (inside the van) for my mains hookup. No more random cable hanging out of a rear window for charging the leisure battery :D

Which has now made me want to buy a second Ecoflow battery, the Alternator charger, 2x wheel arch extenders, and 4x Michellin Agillis Cross Climates for my (still for sale) Black Rhino Warlords.

Bloody thread.

Bit of a WIP with no pictures - but managed to get the EcoFlow wired into the GC so that with a flick of a switch, I can choose to use the EHU OR the Ecoflow (inside the van) for my mains hookup. No more random cable hanging out of a rear window for charging the leisure battery :D

Which has now made me want to buy a second Ecoflow battery, the Alternator charger, 2x wheel arch extenders, and 4x Michellin Agillis Cross Climates for my (still for sale) Black Rhino Warlords.

Bloody thread.
Any plans for a trip to the Continent? I'd be interested in the Warlords and Falken rubber.

Any plans for a trip to the Continent? I'd be interested in the Warlords and Falken rubber.
Not till next year, and wouldnt manage with space. The kids bring a lot of stuff... :D

System check before I load it into the Cali for the adventure next weekend. The whole setup is satisfyingly light. The paddle breaks down small enough to slot in with the folding chairs. Seller didn't realise he had the optional tube storage feature. That was a big $$ option.
Took about 3 mins to inflate with the USB mattress pump. Nice.
Only thing I need to get is the foot rest so I have something to brace against.

systems check.jpg

Decision finally made for me - going for matt black OZ rally raids with 235/65/17 Wildpeaks. Heading up to Elite 2 weeks today for fitting to my Ascot Grey Coast - my mate is getting Warlords with 245 BFG K02s fitted to his 680 Grand Cali at the same time :) View attachment 127805
Exactly what I bought and I really like them. Only regret, and its a trivial one, I can no longer get under the height barrier at Camber Sands Kite Surf Centre.

Exactly what I bought and I really like them. Only regret, and its a trivial one, I can no longer get under the height barrier at Camber Sands Kite Surf Centre.
Not a problem for a real Swamper. Lower the the tyre pressure and shimmy under the barrier. Reinflate on exit.

Do you guys with plenty of solar - @Webbah_in_Switzerland etc cart about an EHU cable?

There are a load of superfluous bits in the van I’m looking to shed. Devating whether I’ll have a need for one.

Like the levelling ramps, lots of space, never used apart from on drive to top up LB.

Never camped with an EHU. Unlikely to use for more than a weekend at a time in winter.

Do you guys with plenty of solar - @Webbah_in_Switzerland etc cart about an EHU cable?

There are a load of superfluous bits in the van I’m looking to shed. Devating whether I’ll have a need for one.

Like the levelling ramps, lots of space, never used apart from on drive to top up LB.

Never camped with an EHU. Unlikely to use for more than a weekend at a time in winter.

I carry a 10m one but mainly because my batteries are on the way out. When I get the LifePO4’s fitted next week I will probably take it out of the van.

I believe Webbah also carries an adaptor to allow for quick top ups at EV charging points. Something like this

Looks like it might be a good insurance measure if you need to rapidly top up the habitation batteries but TBH I’ve no idea if they will work effectively with AGM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry a 10m one but mainly because my batteries are on the way out. When I get the LifePO4’s fitted next week I will probably take it out of the van.

I believe Webbah also carries an adaptor to allow for quick top ups at EV charging points. Something like this

Looks like it might be a good insurance measure if you need to rapidly top up the habitation batteries but TBH I’ve no idea if they will work effectively with AGM?

I only bring a longer EHU cable when I go to a campsite. But yes, especially in winter, I love plugging into EV chargers instead! Will work with any batteries. The electrons coming out of an EV charger are no different than any other AC socket. It’s your onboard charger that sets the proper charge profile.

I only bring a longer EHU cable when I go to a campsite. But yes, especially in winter, I love plugging into EV chargers instead! Will work with any batteries. The electrons coming out of an EV charger are no different than any other AC socket. It’s your onboard charger that sets the proper charge profile.

That must cause a few quizzical looks from BEV owners.

My understanding is the EHU charger for the Cali is set up for AGM but most Li batteries have a BMS that ensures they can be charged safely using that profile. As just about every BEV uses Li and applying the logic in reverse I guess it should work fine…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My understanding is the EHU charger for the Cali is set up for AGM but most Li batteries have a BMS that ensures they be charged safely using that profile. As just about every BEV uses Li and applying the logic in reverse I guess it should work fine…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fair point. In my case I am using my Victron inverter to charge via EHU, but the point was it is no different than any other EHU.