Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Middle seat belt?

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Is it possible to fit a middle seat belt (lap would be fine) to a Cali? Might be useful on occasions - we used the middle seat a lot in the Landy when the kids were a bit tired and teasy!

There is no 'middle seat' calis are four seaters unless you have the extra 5th seat that mounts in the floor rails.
Adding seat belts could invalidate your insurance as they may not have been tested to the required level.

Andy said:
There is no 'middle seat' calis are four seaters unless you have the extra 5th seat that mounts in the floor rails.
Adding seat belts could invalidate your insurance as they may not have been tested to the required level.

Doh! Just checked the pics and it looks like the seats belts are anchored directly next to each other and so no room for another person. For some reason you can't have an extra seat in a 4Motion! I'm sure we'll cope though - cheers!

One query i have is that i only have 4 seat belts in my 56 plate cali, the v5 (log book) states it is a five seat vehicle, anyone else noticed this?

Buying the 5th seat to be fitted to the floor pan rails makes it the 5 seater.
Unless you have a 4Motion of course ... can only be insured as a 4 seater.

barry said:
Buying the 5th seat to be fitted to the floor pan rails makes it the 5 seater.
Unless you have a 4Motion of course ... can only be insured as a 4 seater.

...which ours is (or will be tomorrow!)...!

Does the extra seat not fit? I remember my Golf R32 (mk4) had a much shallower boot than other models due to the 4Motion gubbins.

The fifth seat will fit a 4Motion but the problem is that VW have designated it as a 4-seater and this is what the insurance companies use in categorising it.
Probably to do with the all up weight of 5 people and the extra machinery of the 4 wheel drive.

btw KernowLad, The 4wd is excellent and was supreme in the Scottish bad winter last year
and I've not found any extra wear on the tyres nor fuel comsumption.

Enjoy it ...

Hi Johntowers46, The non-4MotionCali is regestered from new as a 5-seater even though it has only 4 seat belts fitted.

The fifth seat that you are permitted to fit in such a vehicle if you decide tobuy it has its own built in seat belt.
So if you fit the fifth seat in your non-4Motion you now have 5 seats and 5 seat belts.

If your Cali is a 4Motion and has '5-seater' in the V5, there has been a clerical error in producing the document.
Barry

No idea if they do anything for the cali but there is a business called multimac http://www.multimac.co.uk/home who do soem clever stuff for other cars

am interested in this area too

Also is it possible to just buy a 5th seat and add it or do you need it to have been fitted from new? I have had confusing answers from dealers on this and so comments/advice appreciated

d

we were told by VW that the single seat can no longer be bought after market and retro fitted by dealerships..apparently the fifth seat option HAS to be ordered into the build (fitting the extra rails is no longer standard )
we know this verified as when we added 5th seat option a while after ordering we had to re-order again from new (but luckily VW were nice to me and fast tracked it)
Its a big lump..proper job, folds, swivels, seat belt in built, headrest, drawer storage in base...NOT a buddy seat thing!
can face back or fwd and sit by sliding door or kitchen unit
VERY heavy...not really a one person lift in and out easy peasy job...
but cost is not a lot even if only use once a year its nice to have opportunity to take five...
currently it's used as grandsons computer game chair!!!!!

5th seats are often available on ebay for £500 +. Sold mine as do not need it.
The guy who bought it was having third rail retro fited to his cali by a third party company for around £500. Dont know who fitted rails.

Do any of the after market companies make a RnR 3 seater that fits the Cali?