Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Misleading adverts on Auto Trader

It's naughty, I'll admit that. But you'd have to be pretty stupid to spend that amount of money without researching what you're buying. Then it would become pretty obvious quite quickly.

Slightly misleading... Ebay users tend to put "Not VW California" to increase search hits, suspect it's the same tactic.

Oddly enough there are more genuine Californias on AutoTrader called Panel Vans in their title than anything else which I really don't understand the logic behind :confused:

I've seen two companies (small ones) who named their camper conversions California... VW have the European Trademark for "California" in the automotive sector except a few cases where companies have registered it along with other words (eg Ferrari California - shame it's not a camper ;) ) but a few people use it and I guess will continue to until they get a Cease and Desist order.

This one is positioned as a private seller... Not convinced and I don't like Telesafe phone numbers but can understand why some people legitimately use them.

Appears to be a fresh conversion. Looks like a fairly nice one though.

Registered as a Motor Caravan but N1 not M1.

There's a few things I like about it, including the over cupboard shelves, separate glass tops for sink and cooker, twin front passenger seat (Which looks like a fold flat type), tall cupboard above the gas locker.

I don't however like the shiny cupboards or the piano hinge on what I'm assuming is the fridge. (But may just be top loading storage)

If I was looking for a camper now, I'd probably give it more than a second look.

Rgds
Mark

There's a handy free app called My Car Check. Inputting the reg and it will return a description. This one comes up as a Transporter T28, registered as a motorhome. A factory Cali will come up as a Transporter California.

Oddly enough there are more genuine Californias on AutoTrader called Panel Vans in their title than anything else which I really don't understand the logic behind :confused:.....

Rgds
Mark

Hi!

I can explain that: Autotrader require a tick against an arbitrary set of boxes, none of which match my understanding of what a Cali is. I currently have a Cali on Autotrader (and on here, of course) and I ticked the "Panel Van"option simply because I did not recognise their terminology and followed an earlier ad.

MartinR

It says California " conversion"
If one is looking for a campervan suppose they know whats on the market or they will get to know...
Don't think thisone above is much misleading but guess there will be others..

I always report these ads, either to Autotrader or eBay. There's a 'report ad' button you can click. They are then contacted by the company and asked to change the advert or have it removed.

I always report these ads, either to Autotrader or eBay. There's a 'report ad' button you can click. They are then contacted by the company and asked to change the advert or have it removed.

I have just reported it also :thumb Maybe we all should do that, surely it is illegal what he is doing

If you reported, what reason did you tick here? I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a scam.
Screenshot 2015-03-21 18.21.33.png

Very simple. The advert headline States " Volkswagon California " it is not a correct description. Therefore it is a scam.

I guess you are right.

hang the buggers at dawn I say !!! :shocked

It's like the language of estate agents - optimistic interpretation/comparison vs outright mis-selling!!! :punch

Whichever, it does not pass the honesty/integrity test.:stop

I have just reported this as a scam as well, you will be surprised the lack of knowledge some people have when they start looking for their first ever campervan so I could see the odd person thinking this is a California if they have never seen a real one before.

I think the ebay one is pretty clear that it is a conversion. He has used a load of bits from a Donor Cali - including the power roof - he has just fitted it to a van with the door on the UK side.

I assume they got all of the bits from a written off Cali, otherwise that would be a very expensive conversion!

Pretty nice job actually, although I really have never had a problem with a door being on the "wrong" side.

Never mind the roof corroding, the elevating section looks genuine but what about the front roof section. New/cut from a wreck or fibreglass?
If new then bet that cost a packet.

I wouldn't be asking much more for mine ;)

They have 3 California Conversions for sale.

You need to add into this debate the fact that genuine Cali's are listed in both the 'Car' and the 'Motorhome' sections on Autotrader.
My guess is that the 'misuse' of the Cali description in the 'Car' section is as much an attempt to distance themselves from the motorhome label, as well as trade of the Cali name and prices.

You need to add into this debate the fact that genuine Cali's are listed in both the 'Car' and the 'Motorhome' sections on Autotrader.
My guess is that the 'misuse' of the Cali description in the 'Car' section is as much an attempt to distance themselves from the motorhome label, as well as trade of the Cali name and prices.
Yes, somebody said there are only options for Caravelle or California in the VW cars section. Like you mentioned, most campervans are advertised in the dedicated Motorhome section but I don't think it is right for VW Leicester to advertise conversions under the California headline. Potential Cali purchasers who are new to the scene might make a long trip only to be pretty hacked off when they realise it's not a Cali.

Back