Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Missing my Cali...

SteveW

SteveW

VIP Member
Only had my Cali since september and Its gone back to VW Worcester for some very small issues noted on collection. Small paint chip, mark on dash, slight mark on VW badge, not to mention a few very anal things I left them a list to check like, rear tailgate pumps dont lift the tailgate right up ? and the blind on the slidding door gathers and folds up on the left hand side insteand of retracting as well as the other do, oh and check a slight squeek from roof occasionally !!! bet my name is mud at the garage :headbang

Just wondered if you guys had come across any of these issues or wether im being a tad to fussy :mrgreen: .

It been with them since Wednesday afternoon and just had a call to say it won't be finished until Monday and I have to say I miss driving it around as its a real pleasure to cruz around in.

On the bright side though they have left me with a seriously rapid shinny new Golf GTD its like a go kart after the Cali :smile they my be in need of some new tyres by Monday ;)

Steve

Join the club mate mine has just had the tailgate struts replaced and the blind above the sink
The first time in it took 4 days to replace the blind but whilst doing it they cracked the trim
Above the sink the big piece with the lights in. A week on back order then another 4 & a half
Days to fit the new trim. I got lent a vw up the first time and a polo the second.
All done now :thumb

Can I ask about the struts?

do they open the tail gate fully now? Mine and have from new opend 80% byself and I push up the last bit I have always thought thats how they should be and never thought it was a issue until I read these posts

Mine used to be like that but slowly got weaker and weaker the first guy at vw told me it was normal so I argued and said it often came down and hit me on the head I even showed him the bump :laugh2 the second guy looked at it and agreed with me that they were weak now I have a job to push the tailgate up and can nearly hang off it without it closing :thumb

little trip to get it fixed then :thanks

No not Jim VW have a 3 cover

My tailgate does not lift fully open, not noticed any difference related to weather.
Van centre told me that it was normal opening to eye level so you don't walk into it ! How does that work, some people are 5 ft tall & some 6ft !!

It may be worth noting that there is a different part number for the tailgate struts when a bike rack is fitted - Details in the manual for the bike rack.

Hi All

Thought I would drop a quick update on how my Cali faired in the Garage for this warrenty work. In a word :censor :headbang :censor

The works that should have taken 2-3 days lasted just shy of 3 weeks, my baby was returned to me on Tuesday. When it arrived it was filthy in and out, the blind that had been replaced now didnt work at all ( came down then jammed) plus dirty had prints on the moulding that had been off.

The chips and scratches not repaired and now an additional large scratch on the passanger seat base( in the light grey paint, right down to the metal) oh and black scuff marks on the passenger door piller mouldings !!!!

Thanks VW for all you quality care of my 2 month old ÂŁ40+k Cali that i brought from you.

:thanks :thumb

Not good mate not good at all :headbang I had oily footprint on the carpet took them a week to replace a blind only for them to crack some trim another week to put it right. I guess warranty work is only done inbetween other paying jobs take it back :x

This is not good service I would contact VW direct , each job should have a set repair time so once parts are in the workshop should be quite clear

3 days becomes 3 WEEKS !!!!!!! WHAT SERVICE DID THEY GO CAMPING IN IT

Calikev said:
Not good mate not good at all :headbang I had oily footprint on the carpet took them a week to replace a blind only for them to crack some trim another week to put it right. I guess warranty work is only done inbetween other paying jobs take it back :x

Hi Kev

I think your right about the warrenty work. It went back about 45mins after they dropped it off to me. The guy dropping it off did say he would return it but thought I would take it myself and have a few choice words with them.

Sales manager called me yesterday to say all will be sorted asap and sorry for the way it was returned as he had been off work. ( i hope so as we have Padstow touring park booked and paid for for xmas, not to mention a few others )

Cant believe VW dont have a qa/ checklist before returning a car to a customer

With mine I rang smg to ask for advise and they were very helpfull they advised me to go
Over it with a fine tooth comb checking all the trim and cupboards closed properly as
The wardrobe had to be removed I noticed some scratches on the roof blind that the sorted out for me. The second visit was much better and they cleaned it as well. So I would say be firm but remain pleasant.

Disappointing to hear. The blind above the kitchen is the worst to remove and replace and takes about four hours to do from start to finish so that really should be turned around in a day to be honest.

We try to complete all jobs in order otherwise mistakes can happen, same if it is retail or warranty.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
Disappointing to hear. The blind above the kitchen is the worst to remove and replace and takes about four hours to do from start to finish so that really should be turned around in a day to be honest.

We try to complete all jobs in order otherwise mistakes can happen, same if it is retail or warranty.

cheers

This Alex is what sets your dealership apart and why you have built up a good reputation :thumb

Stu said:
It may be worth noting that there is a different part number for the tailgate struts when a bike rack is fitted - Details in the manual for the bike rack.

Good point Stu

I've always been told that bike racks should have an upgrade in the tailgate struts. Don't know how true that is but have seen the results on older VW campers. So it's interesting that there is a different part number.

James

A quick question about warranty work as there seems to be some knowledgeable folk on this thread - can the customer choose which VW dealer to go to? I ask because there seems to be some dealers who aren't as familiar with the Cali as others. Mine is only a few months old an, apart from a little glitch at the beginning has behaved herself.

Cheers,

Andy

You can take your van to any van centre for warranty work without issue.

cheers

Calikev said:
With mine I rang smg to ask for advise and they were very helpfull they advised me to go
Over it with a fine tooth comb checking all the trim and cupboards closed properly as
The wardrobe had to be removed I noticed some scratches on the roof blind that the sorted out for me. The second visit was much better and they cleaned it as well. So I would say be firm but remain pleasant.

Pretty much the line I have followed Kev, firm yet polite ( in the most part ). I have to say though I think if I require any future work I will be looking at SMG and Alex if I can arrange to be in the area, as its a pretty long round trip. I will give the VW dealer the chance to put things right as things do go wrong and fall through gaps etc. I will judge them on how Rigsby is returned to me ( hopefully in the near future). Just very disappointed as I thought I was in for some quality service from Volkswagen.

HY09UMU said:
This is not good service I would contact VW direct , each job should have a set repair time so once parts are in the workshop should be quite clear

3 days becomes 3 WEEKS !!!!!!! WHAT SERVICE DID THEY GO CAMPING IN IT

Had the exact same thought myself but mileage is correct for traveling to the dealers and back ;) not that i had taken photos of the mileage, scratches mouldings and everything else before he went in :smile

Back