Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate Struts

Shane&Michelle

Shane&Michelle

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We have just purchased our Cali and noticed that the tailgate did not open all the way to the top. I had to 'help' it the last 6-8 inches. Contacted the dealer and he agreed to change them. Job done yesterday and it is worse, now have to help it anout 2 feet. We do not have a bike rack or anything else not fitted at the factory on the tailgate. Is this normal? I didn't test it at the dealers as it was hammering down. Going to contact them on Monday but wanted to know if the tailgate should rise all the way to the top on its own. Cheers Shane

Hi, this is normal - mine certainly does it and has done from new. I don't actually find it an issue as I am only 5"6 and find it easier to get the chairs out of the tailgate when it isn't fully raised. I have noticed that the tailgate opens with greater ease when the chairs are not inside, so I suspect the additional weight of the chairs is part of the issue. However, as I said, I believe they all do this so it isn's something wrong with your own Cali. I hope this helps!
Maud

Edited to add that I have no bike rack on the tailgate either.

Last edited:
Ours was registered 3 months ago, has no bike rack or anything else extra, but doesn't go always quite to the top.
I wonder if it is to do with the temp outside. If the air temp is lower would the gas be colder and thus not expand as much?

It is definitely temperature dependant. So watch out on a hot, Riviera Summers day. Make sure you stand well back.:thumb

I think it's a design feature. Makes it possible to get the chairs out if you are not that tall.

Out of interest how heavy is everyone's tailgate? Ours is so heavy I tend to think there's something wrong with the struts but haven't tried another Cali.

Ours is heavy, chairs, topper and windscreen surrounds or awning sides in the pockets.
As Welsh Gas says, temperature dependent. Flies up in summer, has to be pushed up in winter but will stay up by itself.

It is definitely temperature dependant. So watch out on a hot, Riviera Summers day. Make sure you stand well back.:thumb

Agreed, you also have just about swing on it to get it down if it has been up a while!

Opposite in winter
Take the tailgate to its full open position while working underneath
I have had it come down on me when I haven't done so trapping me in the boot area :confused:

Alan

My tailgate felt like it weighed a ton when I got my Cali in late August. Also does not go all the way up without a push. But does make getting the chairs out and the quite challenging task of pulling down the tailgate easier. Was worried at first I might accidentally catch my face/eyes on the corners, but it does seem to have 'loosened up' a bit with use, i.e. goes up a bit higher. Doesn't feel like a problem anymore - or l've just got used to it.

OP make sure that your dealer fitted the correct struts, there are different ones for a Cali because of the extra weight of the seats etc. In fact there are a number of different lift weight struts available as original depending on the spec of the T5.

Rod

Buy a cheap clothes line prop, £2 from Morrisons. Stops gate falling on you in cold weather and lots of others uses!

Read the handbook, I checked this with vw too. The tailgate is "designed to open 45 deg to get the chairs out, only a manual lift will push it higher". We have topper and silverscreen in chairs in the tailgate too and although the tailgate popped open fully in summer, it does only open 45 deg now in cooler weather.

One of many reasons we use towbar bike rack rather than adding weight of vw bikerack I guess?

Changed mine for up rated struts this summer. Even with two people you have to be very very careful, the tailgate is extremely heavy even with the chairs out.
Agree that my tailgate doesn't open fully to top unless you push, both for the older struts and now the newer up rated struts...

Take care not to dent the tailgate when pushing it down as the skin of the tailgate is very thin.

DF2D004A-9782-43F7-8898-C8D6F96A3F9D.jpeg

Does this seem correct? T6 with standard bike rack, this is as far as it opens on its own.

My T5.1 was much better in this regard even with a bike rack the tailgate opened fully.

Ours have never opened fully without help even after they were replaced under warranty. We do have extra weight though as we put the ends of the awning room in the chairs plus the bike rack.The first ones wouldn’t stay up at all and constantly fell down .The replacement struts are much better and the rear door doesn’t fall on your head any more..

Ours have never opened fully without help even after they were replaced under warranty. We do have extra weight though as we put the ends of the awning room in the chairs plus the bike rack.The first ones wouldn’t stay up at all and constantly fell down .The replacement struts are much better and the rear door doesn’t fall on your head any more..
I agree the struts can be weather dependent. Hot day It flies up winter time it needs a lot of help.

End of a hot day. However I’ve seen no real change since I’ve owned it, despite of time of day / weather.
The California gas struts should be stamped 1250n , higher than standard Transporter struts that have a lighter tailgate.

View attachment 84079

Does this seem correct? T6 with standard bike rack, this is as far as it opens on its own.

My T5.1 was much better in this regard even with a bike rack the tailgate opened fully.

Noticed the same.
Old T5.1 had no trouble opening fully.
T6 has never opened any further than yours in the pic.

They changed the tailgate design slightly on the T6…

Noticed the same.
Old T5.1 had no trouble opening fully.
T6 has never opened any further than yours in the pic.

They changed the tailgate design slightly on the T6…

Thanks, good to know, guess I'll live with it :)

Thanks, good to know, guess I'll live with it :)

Yes, agree that’s what I’ve done.
Unless anyone else has managed to fix, I’ve decided to put up with it.
I don’t even have the cycle rack…

Back