Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

More oil chat!

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
So what does the panel think about oil dilution from failed regens.

New van has only 4K on it. I’ve absolutely no idea of it’s previous use profile. We only ever do BIG trips so going forward it’s not an issue.

Head is telling me to drop the oil out.

Discuss.

I would change it and then you are set.. Then change every year or 10k, that has always been my method.
If you do it yourself then it’s just the cost of materials…

I would change it and then you are set.. Then change every year or 10k, that has always been my method.
If you do it yourself then it’s just the cost of materials…
Exactly. I’ll do it next week.

New van has only 4K on it. I’ve absolutely no idea of it’s previous use profile. We only ever do BIG trips so going forward it’s not an issue.

Discuss.
If in doubt change it! That is the first thing that I got done on the van. Change all fluids.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

It’ll probs be fine but it’s like an ear worm, now it’s in my head it’ll be all I think about every trip, that wishy washy oil.

I can’t see me keeping this van long term, there is certainly not a hope in hell it’ll last 20 years, but I’d rather I give it the best start possible.

For the sake of £60 and and hour twirling some spanner’s, it’s a no brainier.

VW do not know themselves.
MY23 4Motion Ocean, after 1 year I asked VW Birmingham to do the service.
They said it needs it every two years or 18k
I said I’m doing 10k p.a.
I’d like the oil changed and then another service next year.
They said that’s a good idea as it’s too long leaving it every two years.
Took it in to be serviced.
Another receptionist was confused why I was in so soon.
Another guy there said it’s better to be done yearly.
So who knows. (Emoji of a man shrugging his shoulders)
If I was going to keep the vehicle forever.
Then do every year.
If you know you going to be selling it 4 or 5 years down the line.
Do as per manufacturers guidelines.

VW do not know themselves.
MY23 4Motion Ocean, after 1 year I asked VW Birmingham to do the service.
They said it needs it every two years or 18k
I said I’m doing 10k p.a.
I’d like the oil changed and then another service next year.
They said that’s a good idea as it’s too long leaving it every two years.
Took it in to be serviced.
Another receptionist was confused why I was in so soon.
Another guy there said it’s better to be done yearly.
So who knows. (Emoji of a man shrugging his shoulders)
If I was going to keep the vehicle forever.
Then do every year.
If you know you going to be selling it 4 or 5 years down the line.
Do as per manufacturers guidelines.
Long service is a sales gimmick for Fleet management who do a lot of miles in a year and total cost is a major concern when purchasing fleet vehicles and whom will dispose of vehicles at the end of a fixed period (usually at the end of warranty) via auction. Rinse repeat.

Although in theory long service applies to non commercial variations, I.e. VW advocate long service for most of its vehicles, I would be wary of lower mileage use (non commercial type miles)
Oil is hygroscopic, and therefore needs changing more regularly with less use.

It may sound counter intuitive but moisture in oil is a killer of engines, regular use of the engine, when it reaches proper Operating temperature for a sustained time, is far better than periodic use / short journeys.

IMO unless you are doing in excess of 20,000 miles each year I would opt for yearly oil changes, if less than 3k miles a year I would opt for more regular oil changes.

Plenty of conflicting info but that’s the basics, the choice is there to make.

Keep the two yearly service via dealer to maintain warranty, but have a yearly oil & filter change using OEM fluids and parts (via a trusted local spanner)

My van is at 139k, had it from new, oil has been changed every 12 months or 12k, engine still runs perfectly and oil does not need topped up between services.

If you want you van to last ignore the long service intervals, as others have said they are a sales gimik to try to show low maintenance costs.

Be kind to your engine and it will pay dividends.

We purchased our 2022 Ocean in May and it's last service was in April at around 8k miles. This is what it's showing at the moment saying oil in 8400 miles or 614 days!!! No way will we have done that mileage so I'll be looking at least an oil change April next year. It's 3 year warranty end last day of June 2025 so wondering if I'll get an offer to extend to 5 years before that date???

Screenshot_20240731_105024_Volkswagen.jpg

Annual oil change or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Actually on the subject of oil dilution, does the fuel in the oil burn off after a long hot drive or does it just remain ?

Actually on the subject of oil dilution, does the fuel in the oil burn off after a long hot drive or does it just remain ?
It should do as it will have a lower vaporisation point than the oil. I understand the main cause of this fuel dilution is short trips and failed DPF regenerations.

Discuss.
Might be a silly question, but how do you know that your oil is diluted?

If its the message about the oil level being too high, its probably either been topped up whilst the engine was cold or its a faulty sensor.

If its the message about the oil level being too high, its probably either been topped up whilst the engine was cold or its a faulty sensor.
I don’t I’m just speculating. For all I know the van has been used to drive 1 mile to the shops three times a day.

You can get an oil test done, Millers Oils do one that you can order on line, you need to take an 80 cc sample with a syringe and small tube via the dipstick hole.

It's a useful indicator of oil condition, especially if you are concerned about potential EGR problems.

I'd be interested to compare a test result on oil changed at 10 - 12K versus VW's 20K.

If the oil level Hi warning comes up does it store in the ECU?

I’ll plug in VCDS later and investigate?

You can get an oil test done, Millers Oils do one that you can order on line, you need to take an 80 cc sample with a syringe and small tube via the dipstick hole.

It's a useful indicator of oil condition, especially if you are concerned about potential EGR problems.

I'd be interested to compare a test result on oil changed at 10 - 12K versus VW's 20K.
Good info but what I meant was why does the OP think his oil has been contaminated.

Vw longlife is now max 18k miles or 24months, my van which is on longlife needed a change at 13000 & 18months.

Discuss.
@sidepod I'm curious, you have a T4 with only 4000 miles on it? what have I missed?

Edit: hold up, just realised you said New van...... profile says T4.... so I guess you have changed the van but not yet your profile.....

Interesting thought on the failed regen issue tho'.... as a matter of side interest I have the DPF app that tells me exactly when regen is taking place (or about to) so interrupted regens are a thing of the past now :thumb

Last edited:
I havnt seen a post on here for months about High oil level - either the problem has gone away or perhaps dealers are no longer overfilling at PDI.

If in any niggling doubts at all I'd change it, no question.

My regular mechanic (motorsport guy but also a great all-rounder) reckons any turbodiesel needs cleanest oil, especially if you do a lot of towing, which I do.

No evidential data for that but for a vehicle you hope to own for many years, like a Cali, it makes sense to me to drop the oil more often than every 18-20k.

Edit: hold up, just realised you said New van...... profile says T4.... so I guess you have changed the van but not yet your profile.....
We have a 12 month old Ocean as well. The 4 stays no matter what!

New lump has to prove itself. The jury haven’t even entered the court room yet, let alone made a decision!

I havnt seen a post on here for months about High oil level - either the problem has gone away or perhaps dealers are no longer overfilling at PDI.
I think I read they now put to half way on the dipstick during a change.

Every other vehicle I have ever owned or used was able to have oil topped up to the full markers on the dipstick without issue.

Definitely a problem masked not fixed.

I think I read they now put to half way on the dipstick during a change.

Every other vehicle I have ever owned or used was able to have oil topped up to the full markers on the dipstick without issue.

Definitely a problem masked not fixed.

I wonder if they charge you less for the oil on the invoice or the full amount. If not then it’s a good income stream for VW x 1000’s of serviced vans.

Discuss.
your profile still says T4, I think it is T6.1 now ?
too many people with too many earworms..
T6.1 has sensor(s) measuring oil quality, depending drive style and miles dashboard may warn you to do oil service after 1 year or even earlier.. Also 2 types of oil : normal and longlife.
But if you sleep better after changing oil yourself and getting rid of old oil and washing your hands and everything els that got dirty .. and if you don't care about the environmental impact.. you should go for it. If something keeps you awake at night it has to be solved. I just follow instructions of VW and have other things that keep me awake at night.

Back