Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

More than just a camper van

bigmac77

bigmac77

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
My son has been attending an athletics club 5.30 - 7pm Friday evenings all summer, this evening I asked whether the meet carried on past the clocks going back and yes it does, all through the winter. It was nice in the summer I could sit and watch in the sunshine, but as the nights draw in and the temperature drops I'll be in the Cali with the heater on and the kettle on the stove (windows cracked for ventilation) and I may get a few jealous looks from other parents in their cars. The Cali is a very versatile vehicle.

Apart from camping what else do you use your Cali for?

Great idea! I often use my Cali as my "moving" office for example to correct some school exams from my students. I makes work much more enjoyable.

I just sit in the Cali while it't parked up in my garage dreaming over where we head next....:D

A typical week for Albert:

Tomorrow he is being a removal van, shifting some fairly large stuff around for my "about to sprog" Niece who has chosen this very convrnient time to move.

Monday my Sister and I are driving 320 miles to visit Mum in her care home, stopping for two nights with another Sister who has only one spare bedroom, so Albert will be another bedroom.

Wednesday is a presentation on the SS Great Britain, followed by a Trust meeting, so I am driving to Bristol and overnighting ... guess where?

Thursday I am giving a presentation in Somerset, so Albert will be my study, preparing my notes, providing gallons of coffee, practising my slide show, my Projector, mobile printer, all coming in useful.

Friday I am visiting friends in Somerset, again he will be my changing room, my bedroom, and probably again my study as one friend has a daughter who will no doubt blag some personal tuition time off me, which will be held in the peace and quiet of Albert parked in a field.

I can set off to do all this with confidence because I know that any change of plan, I have a bed, toothbrush, change of clothes, milk, tea and food, and anything forgotten or not foreseen can be provided.

I return back home a week tomorrow, in the most flexible, the most friendly, the most welcoming and the most confidence-inspiring vehicle that I have ever had.

Last edited:
  • beach hut
  • bird hide
  • cafe
  • changing room
  • removal van

Last edited:
A typical week for Albert:

Tomorrow he is being a removal van, shifting some fairly large stuff around for my "about to sprog" Niece who has chosen this very convrnient time to move.

Monday my Sister and I are driving 320 miles to visit Mum in her care home, stopping for two nights with another Sister who has only one spare bedroom, so Albert will be another bedroom.

Wednesday is a presentation on the SS Great Britain, followed by a Trust meeting, so I am driving to Bristol and overnighting ... guess where?

Thursday I am giving a presentation in Somerset, so Albert will be my study, preparing my notes, providing gallons of coffee, practising my slide show, my Projector, mobile printer, all coming in useful.

Friday I am visiting friends in Somerset, again he will be my changing room, my bedroom, and no doubt my study as one friend has a daughter who will no down blag some personal tuition time off me, which will be held in the peace and quiet of Albert parked in a field.

I can set off to do all this with confidence because I know that any change of plan, I have a bed, toothbrush, change of clothes, milk, tea and food, and anything forgotten or not foreseen can be provided.

I return back home a week tomorrow, in the most flexible, the most friendly, the most welcoming and the most confidence-inspiring vehicle that I have ever had.
Interesting week ahead granny! Enjoy

It's a great day van, last weekend we went for a family bike ride, after the ride we made hot drinks and sausage sandwiches in the car park.

Handy for shopping trips, put all you frozen stuff in the fridge with it set to max and no need to go straight home.

+1 for the changing room.

Changing room for sailing & surfing, mobile office, crèche, late night party venue (once, sore heads...), removals van.

Private lounge at Motorway Services. Changing room. Picnic Lounge. You name it you can do it - In a California.:thumb:thumb

Remember this is a Family Forum.;);)

Mine has served as many things:

makeup station for photoshoots
Moving home
Kayak transport
Airport trips
Picnics
Holidays
Dog kennel (they love the Cali more than I do and often won't leave).

My son has been attending an athletics club 5.30 - 7pm Friday evenings all summer, this evening I asked whether the meet carried on past the clocks going back and yes it does, all through the winter. It was nice in the summer I could sit and watch in the sunshine, but as the nights draw in and the temperature drops I'll be in the Cali with the heater on and the kettle on the stove (windows cracked for ventilation) and I may get a few jealous looks from other parents in their cars. The Cali is a very versatile vehicle.

Apart from camping what else do you use your Cali for?

I know somebody who is using it for love!

Yes, love of the amorous type. In fact he has organised his whole new life, mid life crisis, extreme outdoor activities, and change of partner around the new Cali.

Love life: gone straight from classic Cali to fully loaded, lowered springs, sport line, T6.

There are many functions that not everyone avails!

I can place my digital drum kit in the living space without having to dismantle it and the PA system fits behind the bench seat, then off I go gigging.

'Elsie' is also a luxury dog taxi when we have a guide dog at weekends.

Back