Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MOT and CoronaVirus

18hunts

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
There is mixed messages, garages are on the list for staying open but my wife's MOT on Monday has been cancelled and my next door neighbour was rang by the local Toyota garage to say 'if you want your car, come and collect it now because we are closing'.

18hunts

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The Government is supposedly looking into it, maybe they will do the same as Northern Ireland a couple of months back when all MOT stations stopped doing MOT's because of unsafe lifting ramps. They basically turned a blind eye until they could correct their situation.

P

Pinkietee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My son is body shop technician, he is still working as he is providing an essential service, according to his company. I would have thought MOT testing was more important.

Wiggly Woo

Wiggly Woo

née liaoyang
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Breeze have announced they’re closing yet our local cr@p dealer in Cardiff emailed to say they were staying open for MOTs and servicing, so that people offering support and emergency services could keep their vans on the road. Hats off to them for a change.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just seen a notification from MOT saying that cars can be used for up to 6 months from MOT Certificate expiry date. Word of caution in that it reminds owners that the vehicle must still be in a roadworthy condition.

Vehicles only to be used for essential purposes as per current directives.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Confirmation here:

Exemption from 30 March.

Exemption only for key workers to or from work or for others for essential trips.

You can still be prosecuted for an unroadworthy car.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Confirmation here:

Exemption from 30 March.

Exemption only for key workers to or from work or for others for essential trips.

You can still be prosecuted for an unroadworthy car.
No, my read of this is that the MOT certificate extension is a blanket one, for all vehicles and for all uses. The government is still saying you should only travel when necessary but that's a different matter.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
No, my read of this is that the MOT certificate extension is a blanket one, for all vehicles and for all uses. The government is still saying you should only travel when necessary but that's a different matter.
Yes - quite right. If you drive on a frivolous trip 15 months after your last MOT your MOT is still valid.

BeagleMum

BeagleMum

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Got our car MOT'd this morning at one of those In and Out Autocentres - they were calling around customers with appointments as everyone assumed they had https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-81490
News tonight said MOT stations should be open

6 month MOT extensions

campandfly

campandfly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Ok so we now have 6 months grace on the MOT.
What about renewing the Tax?
Normally you cannot renew the tax without MOT and insurance.
Will the renewal of tax go ahead without the need for an MOT?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Ok so we now have 6 months grace on the MOT.
What about renewing the Tax?
Normally you cannot renew the tax without MOT and insurance.
Will the renewal of tax go ahead without the need for an MOT?
The Government will want your money and likewise the Insurance companies , so I would have thought - Yes.

campandfly

campandfly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
The Government will want your money and likewise the Insurance companies , so I would have thought - Yes.
Just a few more days now before mine is due. So will post the outcome. Usually I renew at the local Post Office but now will try online.

C

CDR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Note the 6 months extension for the MOT only applies from 30th March. If your MOT expires before the 30th March normal rules apply. DVLA confirmed this on the same day that they confirmed the 6 months extension from the 30th. My BMW's MOT expires tomorrow, so it either needs to be taken for an MOT or parked up, not that it will currently make much difference.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Note the 6 months extension for the MOT only applies from 30th March. If your MOT expires before the 30th March normal rules apply. DVLA confirmed this on the same day that they confirmed the 6 months extension from the 30th. My BMW's MOT expires tomorrow, so it either needs to be taken for an MOT or parked up, not that it will currently make much difference.
Confirmation

Nick H

Nick H

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
I was booked in for MOT on Friday, I have just tried to call dealer to find out what I do and there is no answer. I am assuming all dealers and service departments are now closed ? Can I drive with no MOT ?
My insurance company has written to me to say MOTs have been extended for 6 months and are now valid beyond their end date as long as you keep your vehicle roadworthy.

Last edited by a moderator: