Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MOT and CoronaVirus

All cars now have a six month extension to MOT according to BBC Essex today

Just seen a notification from MOT saying that cars can be used for up to 6 months from MOT Certificate expiry date. Word of caution in that it reminds owners that the vehicle must still be in a roadworthy condition.

Vehicles only to be used for essential purposes as per current directives.

Confirmation here:

Exemption from 30 March.

Exemption only for key workers to or from work or for others for essential trips.

You can still be prosecuted for an unroadworthy car.

Confirmation here:

Exemption from 30 March.

Exemption only for key workers to or from work or for others for essential trips.

You can still be prosecuted for an unroadworthy car.

No, my read of this is that the MOT certificate extension is a blanket one, for all vehicles and for all uses. The government is still saying you should only travel when necessary but that's a different matter.

No, my read of this is that the MOT certificate extension is a blanket one, for all vehicles and for all uses. The government is still saying you should only travel when necessary but that's a different matter.

Yes - quite right. If you drive on a frivolous trip 15 months after your last MOT your MOT is still valid.

Got our car MOT'd this morning at one of those In and Out Autocentres - they were calling around customers with appointments as everyone assumed they had https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-81490
News tonight said MOT stations should be open

6 month MOT extensions

Ok so we now have 6 months grace on the MOT.
What about renewing the Tax?
Normally you cannot renew the tax without MOT and insurance.
Will the renewal of tax go ahead without the need for an MOT?

Ok so we now have 6 months grace on the MOT.
What about renewing the Tax?
Normally you cannot renew the tax without MOT and insurance.
Will the renewal of tax go ahead without the need for an MOT?
The Government will want your money and likewise the Insurance companies , so I would have thought - Yes.

The Government will want your money and likewise the Insurance companies , so I would have thought - Yes.
Just a few more days now before mine is due. So will post the outcome. Usually I renew at the local Post Office but now will try online.

Note the 6 months extension for the MOT only applies from 30th March. If your MOT expires before the 30th March normal rules apply. DVLA confirmed this on the same day that they confirmed the 6 months extension from the 30th. My BMW's MOT expires tomorrow, so it either needs to be taken for an MOT or parked up, not that it will currently make much difference.

I noticed that our local Kwikfit is still open and they normally do MOTs.

Note the 6 months extension for the MOT only applies from 30th March. If your MOT expires before the 30th March normal rules apply. DVLA confirmed this on the same day that they confirmed the 6 months extension from the 30th. My BMW's MOT expires tomorrow, so it either needs to be taken for an MOT or parked up, not that it will currently make much difference.
Confirmation

I was booked in for MOT on Friday, I have just tried to call dealer to find out what I do and there is no answer. I am assuming all dealers and service departments are now closed ? Can I drive with no MOT ?
My insurance company has written to me to say MOTs have been extended for 6 months and are now valid beyond their end date as long as you keep your vehicle roadworthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back