Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MOT day today……

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi , today I had the Cali booked in for its 2nd MOT at my local trusted garage who look after all the vehicles in our household and it passed with no advisories. I actually have the VW all in policy where you get 2 free MOTs but after last years farce of them failing the MOT due to cracks in the tyre then me having to source my own tyre as they wouldn’t fit the same brand (Goodyear all seasons) as they couldn’t source one apparently even though I sourced one from a tyre fitting place 1 mile away from them and I had to finish work early to do this. The tyre fitting place could not even find anything wrong with the tyre they were replacing but hey ho VW VC failed it and it needed sorting. Anyway I figured that if I took it to VW van centre again the over Zelous MOT inspector would again find something wrong hence why I took it to my local garage. Happy days as it passed the MOT and the inspector at my garage commented on how clean the Cali was underneath and had obviously been looked after . Shame that the MOT online checker has a failed MOT on the system…..

Not VW related, but I also have a suspicion that the franchised dealership inspectors are over zealous at best, or shall I say at worst, creative in their observations!!

Every year our Vauxhall Mokka is serviced to the full Vauxhall requirements using Vauxhall parts and then MOTd by our local garage.

But when it goes to the Vauxhall dealership for its annual lifetime warranty inspection a few days later, they always find something that needs attention.

Strangely, in the past six years of these Vauxhall inspections the same issue has never cropped up more than once and none of the supposed "issues" have been rectified by us.

Granted, the Vauxhall dealership hasn't done the MOT's but I would expect at least some consistency between their technicians and their approved MOT testers.

Not VW related, but I also have a suspicion that the franchised dealership inspectors are over zealous at best, or shall I say at worst, creative in their observations!!

Every year our Vauxhall Mokka is serviced to the full Vauxhall requirements using Vauxhall parts and then MOTd by our local garage.

But when it goes to the Vauxhall dealership for its annual lifetime warranty inspection a few days later, they always find something that needs attention.

Strangely, in the past six years of these Vauxhall inspections the same issue has never cropped up more than once and none of the supposed "issues" have been rectified by us.

Granted, the Vauxhall dealership hasn't done the MOT's but I would expect at least some consistency between their technicians and their approved MOT testers.
The problem with our MOT system it’s just an opinion and some outlets are so risk adverse if you fart they will fail it…if anyone out there has a classic car that doesn’t need an MOT but wants to maintain the thread of ’passes’ especially if selling to take it to a convention mot tester who has no experience in classic cars you are doomed .. old cars were built differently to modern ones and there tolerance to say movement in joints etc are completely different. Some brant chains create work out of frightening their customers with what they find on inspection …the whole business is flawed but it’s what we have …so you just need to adapt.

If I took my 1937 MG TA to an MOT station today, they would have a dicky fit!!!
Especially when it comes to front suspension/steering play :D

But it still steers well and stops on a sixpence when those in modern vehicles cut you up and leave no room for braking.

If I took my 1937 MG TA to an MOT station today, they would have a dicky fit!!!
Especially when it comes to front suspension/steering play :D

But it still steers well and stops on a sixpence when those in modern vehicles cut you up and leave no room for braking.

I have exactly the same issue with my Morgan re suspension play…it’s ridiculous but I have now found a small independent mot centre that understands….

Back