Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Glenridding and Helvellyn

RichardH

RichardH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Having cancelled a previous trip to Glenridding due to poor weather, I am planning to return next weekend to climb Helvellyn with my seven year old son. All campsites around Glenridding appear to be fully booked for next weekend. The Glenridding car park allows overnight parking (as do all Lake District car parks), but bylaw prohibits staying in the van overnight (I suppose overnight parking is allowed for backpackers which is fair enough).

As a last resort we could overnight at Tebay Services, and drive to Glenridding first thing on Saturday, but can anyone suggest a better alternative?
It is the other side of the mountain but, if you have not already tried them, it might be worth calling http://www.stybeckfarm.co.uk/ . It is a CMHC certified location, but they seem to fit several others on site too. Pleasant location, nice people. On-site toilet and shower. Hook-up points. Pub within walking distance. Only drawback is the donkey - if it wakes up in the early hours! We were there in April and did a circular walk including the Helvellyn summit and the spectacular view over Striding Edge and the Glenridding valley. That side was crowded - there were about 80 people on top of the mountain, that summery day, but far fewer on the Thirlmere slopes.

Mighelev

Mighelev

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Having cancelled a previous trip to Glenridding due to poor weather, I am planning to return next weekend to climb Helvellyn with my seven year old son. All campsites around Glenridding appear to be fully booked for next weekend. The Glenridding car park allows overnight parking (as do all Lake District car parks), but bylaw prohibits staying in the van overnight (I suppose overnight parking is allowed for backpackers which is fair enough).

As a last resort we could overnight at Tebay Services, and drive to Glenridding first thing on Saturday, but can anyone suggest a better alternative?
Try Castlerigg Farm campsite at Keswick. Great little spot on one of the few sites you can still turn up and get in usually. Not too far from Glenridding or you could always go up Helvelyn from Thirlmere side from Swirls car park.

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Penny has just stood down as team leader for central Beacons MR. I think she has joined the trustees. I reckon she’d also be up for coming with us over CG.

count me in as well, one of my favourite spots on the whole planet.

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Good luck with the M11

If you are going up as far as the A14 you would be mad to cut across country, go up the A1 to Scotch Corner, rather than hitting Birmingham & Manchester at the worst time in the afternoon.
The top of the M11/A14 can get pretty busy late afternoon so chose your time carefully and definitely avoid M6 and simply keep North using A1 - big advantage of this is there are more options to get off if any accidents etc as lots of smaller less used side roads - use this route loads from Wymondham. M6 would be horrendous. From where we live near Wymondham in mid-Norfolk we say 2 hrs to Newark 2 hours to Scotch Corner and 2 hours to Egremont on coast (or for us normally 2 hours to Gretna :) ) From Scotch corner if traffic is ok you'll get to Ullswater hour and half. Done the Lakes hundreds of times and have expedition certificate which was completed by Striding Edge in the dark with a mist and full pack on back - brown trousers job but now done all the fells. I agree Tryfan best before Crib Goch and the Gliders...................

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
The top of the M11/A14 can get pretty busy late afternoon so chose your time carefully and definitely avoid M6 and simply keep North using A1 - big advantage of this is there are more options to get off if any accidents etc as lots of smaller less used side roads - use this route loads from Wymondham. M6 would be horrendous. From where we live near Wymondham in mid-Norfolk we say 2 hrs to Newark 2 hours to Scotch Corner and 2 hours to Egremont on coast (or for us normally 2 hours to Gretna :) ) From Scotch corner if traffic is ok you'll get to Ullswater hour and half. Done the Lakes hundreds of times and have expedition certificate which was completed by Striding Edge in the dark with a mist and full pack on back - brown trousers job but now done all the fells. I agree Tryfan best before Crib Goch and the Gliders...................
Tryfan, February 2004

1623160061072.png

oakgreen

oakgreen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach

Try kirkstone pass inn car park or the lake shore lay-bys on ullswater if no campsites available. There are plenty of others doing so in campervans and motor homes at the moment so I reckon you will be ok. There are a few other places even more discreet around that area to stop for a night. If you approach helvellyn from the thirlmere side then there are more options

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Fantastic - Love to do that in snow - I did that mountain several years ago in horrible weather. One of our part was a really hardy paramedic (we're all first-aiders) and we got half way up to the small plateau and he looked terrible. He asked if that was it but we pointed up and he threw all his toys out the pram and said if you think I'm going up that ******....******** you've got another thing coming - we calmed him down and roped him up and up we meant - would you believe when we got to the top all he wanted to do was jump the two slabs!!!! We'd come up from A5 and then took him across to the Glyder cantilever stone - totally different person then.

Abracadabra

Abracadabra

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The dynamic risk assessment continues..

Conditions yesterday on the Striding Edge traverse were very good, exceptionally dry underfoot and a lot of traffic from MIC led pairs to 'chancers and the hopeful' safely arriving at the summit. The weather yesterday and forecast for Saturday is a similar pattern for cloud in the morning and good sunshine from 13.00 hrs. accompanied with lower wind speeds. My recommendation for an early start falls apart regarding the best weather conditions forecast for Saturdday. Cloud base has been at around 650m before clearing in the afternoons. If the best weather is for Saturday afternoon then perhaps bag that early space in Glenridding and .....rest & relax (fester over a long breakfast) and start out late morning for the better weather on the ridge.

Unfortunately you will be moving with the slowest and least competent on the ridge. However, this snail pace will give plenty of time (how long is this really going to take them????) to demonstrate your exquisite and accomplished short rope/confidence rope techniques to both your son and the whole world. Classic photo opportunity. And no, I wouldn't be offering the rope to others. Adventure is about evaluating risk, understanding personal capability and standing on your own two feet. If you need a rope on this traverse and you haven't got one ( and more importantly know how to deploy it competently) then we call this a valuable learning experience. Turning back saves lives and is a tactic at the top of my action plan list.

Genuine emergency is a different situation.

Your Scottish pedigree and experience puts you in a completely different league to most hillwalkers. Not many can talk about a winter traverse of Aonach Eagach (notched ridge) and your other significant routes in the Highlands. I hope that your day on EA was finished with a handshake on the Pap, please don't disappoint me on this one......

Have a great weekend, and be amazed at the volume and intensity of visitor numbers. A NP survey last weekend (end of half term holiday) revealed that 43% of visitors would not have been in the Lakes during normal non Covid times. Of those visitors nearly a third were first time visitors. Overwhelmingly (68%) of visitors described themselves as White. However we are delighted to be welcoming 27% of respondents who describe themselves as Mixed and Asian backgrounds.

Don't worry about Saturday night - if you have the slightest concern or problem the PM me - it's not what you know but who you know!

Craig Muir

Craig Muir

Vehicle
T5 SE 180

Try The Royal Hotel at Dockray - it used to be a motorhome pub stopover, eat/drink and stay for free

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
The dynamic risk assessment continues..

Conditions yesterday on the Striding Edge traverse were very good, exceptionally dry underfoot and a lot of traffic from MIC led pairs to 'chancers and the hopeful' safely arriving at the summit. The weather yesterday and forecast for Saturday is a similar pattern for cloud in the morning and good sunshine from 13.00 hrs. accompanied with lower wind speeds. My recommendation for an early start falls apart regarding the best weather conditions forecast for Saturdday. Cloud base has been at around 650m before clearing in the afternoons. If the best weather is for Saturday afternoon then perhaps bag that early space in Glenridding and .....rest & relax (fester over a long breakfast) and start out late morning for the better weather on the ridge.

Unfortunately you will be moving with the slowest and least competent on the ridge. However, this snail pace will give plenty of time (how long is this really going to take them????) to demonstrate your exquisite and accomplished short rope/confidence rope techniques to both your son and the whole world. Classic photo opportunity. And no, I wouldn't be offering the rope to others. Adventure is about evaluating risk, understanding personal capability and standing on your own two feet. If you need a rope on this traverse and you haven't got one ( and more importantly know how to deploy it competently) then we call this a valuable learning experience. Turning back saves lives and is a tactic at the top of my action plan list.

Genuine emergency is a different situation.

Your Scottish pedigree and experience puts you in a completely different league to most hillwalkers. Not many can talk about a winter traverse of Aonach Eagach (notched ridge) and your other significant routes in the Highlands. I hope that your day on EA was finished with a handshake on the Pap, please don't disappoint me on this one......

Have a great weekend, and be amazed at the volume and intensity of visitor numbers. A NP survey last weekend (end of half term holiday) revealed that 43% of visitors would not have been in the Lakes during normal non Covid times. Of those visitors nearly a third were first time visitors. Overwhelmingly (68%) of visitors described themselves as White. However we are delighted to be welcoming 27% of respondents who describe themselves as Mixed and Asian backgrounds.

Don't worry about Saturday night - if you have the slightest concern or problem the PM me - it's not what you know but who you know!

Thanks again for the useful info.

Saturday’s weather is looking excellent:

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Left Ben’s school at 2.10pm; suffered a 30m delay at the Blackwall Tunnel then a fairly clear run A12/M11/A14/A1 arriving at Scotch Corner at 6.50pm.

Already bedded down for the night ready for an early start tomorrow.

oakgreen

oakgreen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Enjoy your weekend it will be good weather up here, have you decided on a camping location for tomorrow yet?

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Enjoy your weekend it will be good weather up here, have you decided on a camping location for tomorrow yet?

Much will depend on what time we are off the hill. We might try searching out a campsite, but I expect that will be a bit of a wild goose chase.

BraithwIte Fold car park looks the better of the two which allow overnight camping, but I also been given the sites of two places away from the main lakes area which might be OK.

If all goes well I’d like to do the Crinkle Crags on Sunday.

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Much will depend on what time we are off the hill. We might try searching out a campsite, but I expect that will be a bit of a wild goose chase.

BraithwIte Fold car park looks the better of the two which allow overnight camping, but I also been given the sites of two places away from the main lakes area which might be OK.

If all goes well I’d like to do the Crinkle Crags on Sunday.
Crinkle Crags are nice with Pavey Ark but if nice weather it'll be crowded. Go further up Langdale and veer off to the left which will take you up a gulley to a nice plateau with excellent views of Scafell. Not too strenuous but less used. Wish I was up there with you :(

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Good night’s sleep. Up at 5.30. Arrived Glenridding before 7. Lakes deserted- loads of wild camping spots with signs “no overnight stays”. All cafes in Glenridding closed until 8!

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Enjoy the day, and I hope the weather is good! Sunshine and 25°C here...

No more than 12 degrees at 750 metres.
323fb1b2bd0856185be27c565ccbd857.jpg

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Great pics Tom, weather looks great too (lucky sod).
If your down at glenridding worth popping into gillside campsite, as the owner is lovely and who knows maybe able to squeeze you in especially if you don’t need hook up.