Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mountain bikes on a towbar rack. Thule XT2?

V

vanless

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Does anyone carry mountain bikes on a towbar rack? We have a T6.1 with a fixed towbar and with my old Thule RideOn2 rack, the end of the handlebars of the bike nearest the van on the rack hits the tailgate. I could rotate the bars, but I'm also wondering if a Thule EasyFold XT2 would hold the bikes any further away from the tailgate? Also, does the XT2 get in the way of the lighting socket in the towbar? The old RideOn has quite a compact hitch but is very close to my socket! Thanks.

Hi - We use a Atera GENIO PRO and carry 2 E-MTB on it or 2 road bikes depending where we are going. Great bit of kit and easy to use once you get the positions of everything sorted.

Yes I tend to have the larger ones on fold down Thule rack mounted to the door and then kids bikes on the towbar rack - use the Atera STRADA VARIO 2 and no real issues with touching doors. Problem is as the kids get bigger the handlebars foul the rack above so I'm getting creative with mounting. This Atera rack by itself can take the larger bikes but when I'm using wide bars I do just rotate the bars sometimes and its also better for reversing and not hitting stuff.

Back