Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mounting rear storage box, Pelican or Nanuk?

AlexBrown

AlexBrown

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Planning to add some rear storage for the upcoming winter. Recently I became a father, and now we have even more gear on board. So, I am considering mounting either some of the Pelican range or Nanuk range, onto the bike rack.

I'll be putting winter gear in there, chains, log burner, ski kit, tools.

I have not decided how permanent of a feature this will be yet but one thing that I am certain of is that I will not drill either of the boxes. I have seen many installs done this way, which ruins what are otherwise 100% waterproof cases. I think I have found the location for the larger box, and might put the smaller on the side. I really like how when the lid opens, it acts as a sort of worktop. However, neither of the boxes stop at 90 degrees, so that should be noted.

Am interested to hear anyone's thoughts. Have you done something similar? What would your store in them if you had them? Cheers.
pelican copy.jpg
nanuk.jpg
nanuk2.jpg

Hi

I have a givi trekker outback atv 110l box.
Great for extra storage, has drain hole plugs (not that its ever had water in it). I leave one out as I carry an extra 907 bottle.
I did drill mine and coach bolted on (no water gets in).9A2E98F8-AD62-4B68-A098-D09D63391A90.jpeg
They are expensive but better than any plastic box.

2FE2E3F7-237B-47C7-9689-768618220F34.jpeg8FF2D757-C8D4-4ACE-9D10-04EF3406186A.jpeg
The lid can be removed so you could use it as a worktop, great locks on it too.

@AlexBrown ,

The first thing I would consider is - do you use the cycle rack as a cycle rack? If no, then remove the fold out part of the cycle rack so that you only have the main part of the fitment to the rear door.

Now with that out of the way, you will notice how @4x4 joker 's box is 'sitting' on the frame. You will be thus able to support any box on the bottom frame. When going over any undulations on the road, the maximum force will be in the downward direction. Now your box will have a place to rest and that will take care of the majority of the stability issues with the box.

Now with that, if you strap the box to the frame, (with ratchet straps/other clips), that will be more than sufficient to hold the box in place and you will not have to drill any holes in the box.

I have done something similar - though a petrol can and not a box.
- I have a fiamma rack
- have removed the fold out cycle rack
- have added a aluminium cross-member (I can move this up or down, depending on the size of item I need to secure)
- In the pic below you see it with a trash bag. On the other side, I mount a jerry can for fuel. With the support at the base and properly tied, the bag or the can is not going anywhere.

I can add more cross members if I need to, to provide more mounting size options.

I have a towball rack for carrying cycles.

PXL_20210918_180658614 (1).jpg

The rack should also take a wheel if needed/or an additional storage box as mounted by 4x4 Joker.

Will get some closeups and also with the jerry can on tomorrow if you wish to see more in detail. :thumb

I’m confused: the boxes will hang at the bottom of your bike rack? And without fixed attachment points (you will not drill holes in the boxes)? And then open downwards when you use your bicycle rack open (I assume you will still use the bike rack because you hang it underneath)? So to open them do you have to take your bicycle or whatever of the rack and fold up the rack?
Or am I seeing this wrong?
Many question marks, I know but I don’t get it, sorry.

Last edited:
I think the question of whether or not you want to keep using the bike rack for bikes needs answering first. Do you not plan to use it for bikes? Do you plan to use it for bikes at the same time you want to use the extra storage or will you want the storage option up some times and the option to load bikes at other times?

You say you're not sure how permanent the solution will be. Perhaps the storage bag below might suit you. It has plenty of room and is said to be quite sturdy. Just put it on the folded down bike rack. There are several people on the forum that use it. Also, you can use it when you need it and leave it at home when you dont ot when you prefer to bring bikes. Perhaps it doesn't tick the 'cool looking overlander jeep look' though.

91DJiuGvxYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I still can carry one bike on mine, rear wheel sits on snowboard clamp, and handle bar sits on the top of cargo box. The boot will still open fully so will do easily on a cali.
You can cargo net a awning on back and carry skis or snowboards.
Like others have said depends if you need to carry loads of bikes now and then, if not then remove the dropper part.

Back