Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MPG Query

Cameron1960

Cameron1960

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Im sure there will have been previous posts about this, so apologies if I'm going over old ground. I have an eight month old California SE, 140 DSG. At present I'm getting 29 mpg on short journeys and approx 33 mpg on motorway driving (these figures are according to the onboard computer). How does this compare to those of you out there. P.S. I normally drive with half a tank of fuel, no water onboard and no bike rack!

The onboard computer can be upto 10% inaccurate. Brim to Brim fuel consumption is more accurate.
If you select Memory 2, see handbook, then this gives the average MPG over an extended mileage.
My 180 is averaging 29.6 mpg, but I use it every day, 20,000+ Miles / year and it has DSG.

I find all this terribly anal, sorry.

I own a campervan. With all respect to breeze blocks I know that aerodynamically my campervan is about as efficient.

I don't really care. It's a campervan. It's job is to be my house on wheels getting me from A to B, not winning fuel consumption tests.

It gets from A to B effortlessly. As a house it has it's limitations but is not as limited as most. As a vehicle it's heavy on fuel but I knew that when I bought it. If I could not afford that fuel then I would not have bought the vehicle. I made an informed decision.

It has a nice big fuel tank that means that I can travel for 500 miles before those wobbles hit the stomach. The MFD might lie through its teeth and tell me I'm getting 50 to the gallon but it's quickly found out. I either stop for fuel every 5 minutes or travel for hours without worrying.

The vehicle is there to fulfil a purpose. It does. In spades. What's the problem?

*** No breeze blocks were hurt in the making of this post.

Agreed GrannyJen - for the last year I've managed not to take any notice of fuel consumption. In fact this is the first time in that time that I've weakened and had a look at an mpg thread
I feel much more relaxed and contented I'm my campervanning! And of course fuel is wonderfully cheap just now!
(I do appreciate that we should keep an eye out for extraordinary bad mpg as a sign of something up with the engine)

Mines a 140 but NOT DSG. Tankful to tankful I get 38 to 44 mpg obviously depending on a lot of factors.
But I agree with GrannyJen, it's a camper van, you bought it to enjoy what it can offer you. What I particularly like is that starting off with a tankful in the morning I know that I needn't worry about fuel until lunch-time next day at the earliest.

I find all this terribly anal, sorry.

I own a campervan. With all respect to breeze blocks I know that aerodynamically my campervan is about as efficient.

I don't really care. It's a campervan. It's job is to be my house on wheels getting me from A to B, not winning fuel consumption tests.

The vehicle is there to fulfil a purpose. It does. In spades. What's the problem?

*** No breeze blocks were hurt in the making of this post.
There is another side to MPG figures other than the pure cost of the fuel. Don't forget increased MPG can be sign of engine wear/ problems, so its good to know what it should be doing and noticing if things change or are off the mark. Even low oil can effect your MPG.

For info, I have the more frugal 114ps, I get about 33-35 on my commute to work, and 38-42 on the motorway at 70-75.

There is another side to MPG figures other than the pure cost of the fuel. Don't forget increased MPG can be sign of engine wear/ problems, so its good to know what it should be doing and noticing if things change or are off the mark. Even low oil can effect your MPG.

For info, I have the more frugal 114ps, I get about 33-35 on my commute to work, and 38-42 on the motorway at 70-75.

Fair enough Matt but if suddenly I was stopping every 400 miles rather than every 500 then I would know something was wrong. I really am not going to worry about every decimal point on the various MPG indicators.

For me it either works or doesn't work and if suddenly I notice a marked deterioration in anything, fuel, oil, wine in the fridge, then that's all the indications that I need to suggest something is wrong.

I never bought my van expecting high mpg anyway, the fact it was similar to my rather sporty previous diesel was a bonus. ;)

I never bought my van expecting high mpg anyway, the fact it was similar to my rather sporty previous diesel was a bonus. ;)
Mines better than my remapped Defender and it's predecessor a Mazda RX8.

I agree that it is a camper and MPG should not be the driving force (pun intended) but I'll be using mine for work, paid for partly using a car allowance from work, and am reimbursed by the mile by my employers (and, yes, I'm still 'worth it', Granny Jen), so MPG is a big deal to me.

That's (just) some of the reasons I've ordered a California (a different kind of fun than my Audi has given me), why I've gone for a Beach and not an Ocean (car first, camper second) and, of course, I'm hoping for MPG figures such as Matt has quoted!

Last edited:
I'm not sure telling other people what they 'ought' to care about helps much...

I recognised that I could afford the fuel whether my on order 150 T6 averages 30 or 40 mpg, but I will still be interested to see what it manages. I'll also be happy to share any information I have regarding my T6 without telling them whether or not they should be asking the question. :thumb

Wow!..this thread has mad me think very hard about ever asking anything again!..Cameron1960..had a query...that's all!

Best saving for me is the price per litre (not driving miles to find the cheapest just fill up when I see the best price) around home I see the difference of 5p per litre for regular branded fuel. Just been away for a week around Hasting 97.9p a litre to fill up on leaving for week's holiday to fill up down there 99.9p a litre (both esso) but the highest seen this week 103.9p

Wow!..this thread has made me think very hard about ever asking anything again!
Welcome to the Internet!

Actually, on the whole, the VWCC forums are a very friendly and helpful place to be.

Play nicely children.

Mpg discussions ? Seriously?

Bet the RGV 250 is a bit thirsty....

I'm a moaner when it comes to fuel so typically will have an eco car. I'm pleasantly surprised with the Cali. For its size its good on fuel. The bad bit is that we now have a Hybrid so the Cali now plays second fiddle until the weather improves and the evenings become lighter.

I get around 31 mpg but quite honestly, as I said above, I am not fussy about measuring it so if you want precise, to the centilitre indications, don't talk to me ! :oops:

There is probably a variance between MFD and Brim to Brim comparisons, but I've never worried about it, if I did then I would then be worrying about using the same fuel from the same garage from the same pump facing the same way over a period of time and for me, and obviously we all differ, it simply is not important.

I do find that there can be significant variance in the way the vehicle is used, strength of headwind or type of terrain, which again makes me sit there telling myself "don't worry about it". On the whole I have been pleasantly surprised about fuel consumption, I expected far worse.

I do find that there can be significant variance in the way the vehicle is used, strength of headwind or type of terrain, which again makes me sit there telling myself "don't worry about it". On the whole I have been pleasantly surprised about fuel consumption, I expected far worse.
I agree with that Jen. @Cameron1960 I am one of those people who check mpg whatever vehicle I'm in out of interest mainly. Our Cali is a 140 manual and the mpg varies massively, is it a cold morning and engine heater being used?, wind,terrain, type of roads etc. Going to work in my runaround in winter uphill I avg 47mpg but coming home I get 62mpg. Cali wise, It doesn't seem to matter if we are fully loaded or not depends on driving style. We get anything between 30-43mpg, pleased overall with this.

2.5 170 Tiptronic with 87,000 miles on clock getting 29mpg average on distance runs. Lot less on short distance runs before engine has warmed up properly.
Long haul / continental mixed road Autoroute/side road driving can get 35mpg.

I am light on the foot most of the time.

I think weather plays a small part and headwinds have a big effect on mpg in the T5 because of its weight and shape and I seem to get better mileage in hotter climes. Not sure if external air temperature plays any part or maybe the diesel is different quality ?
If going on long journey abroad I do add diesel additive to a full tank to try to keep injectors etc clean and I think it does make a difference to the MPG. Perhaps it improves the quality of the diesel ?

Maybe someone with more knowledge can answer that one.

T6 econemy is look very good so far. Ive just done approx 500 miles in a new 204 T6, so its still running in. I have to say that im over the moon with the fuel economy on my last trip. The trip from Interlakken to Zurich which is a mix of roads and keeping to the speed limits I averaged 45 mpg. Around town is 35mpg, basically to the shops and back. Im just hoping its not part of the VW scam :)

Regardless of what the MFD tells me, if I don't need to fill up for 0ver 500 miles then I have a smile on my face :D

Even in Scotland last January, 90 mph gales, snow, lots of low gear and quite a bit of stop-start I still managed around 28mpg indicated.

T6 econemy is look very good so far. Ive just done approx 500 miles in a new 204 T6, so its still running in. I have to say that im over the moon with the fuel economy on my last trip. The trip from Interlakken to Zurich which is a mix of roads and keeping to the speed limits I averaged 45 mpg. Around town is 35mpg, basically to the shops and back. Im just hoping its not part of the VW scam :)

Sounds great, Shane! Is fill- to - fill matching the trip computer? The computer is consistently optimistic on my T5 so would like to hear that it is a closer match on the T6. :thumb

Back