Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MPG Query

When on a long motorway run I can get around 500-550 per tank, when in the Outer Hebrides, lots of stop and start due to single track at that went down to 250-300.

Normally have ACC set to 65-70 with the odd move to 80 for overtakes, 204x4, 70l tank

Only a lowly manual 150 (MY17) but last refill after 350 miles - tank to tank reading - was 41 litres to fill. The MFD said I was averaging 43 mpg but true was 39 mpg and that was up in north of Scotland. I am happy with that consumption.

Just picked up my new 150 DSG yesterday 12 miles on the clock at uplift the journey home was 342 miles and the MDF gave an average of 39.4 mpg

70 / 80% motorway driving with the ACC set at 72mph most of the way
Ps that ACC is brilliant a little concerning at first but once you get a bit confidence in it its brilliant, first car Ive driven with it

As an aside the 3 tonne Cayenne we went down in done both there and the return journey on one tank of fuel and still showed 106 miles left in the tank (100 litre tank) av 43mpg on computer

Last edited:
just came back from 505 miles round trip Glasgow -Gairloch , some single track and B roads, about 60% dual carriageway and motorway....projection was 90 miles left in tank...one full tank
pretty pleased with our mpg !

VW California Comfortline. MY 2010. 140 HP. Manual. 140 000 km.
Average, including daily commuting 12 km to, and 12 km from work: 30,5mpg (7,7 liter/100km)
From and to the south of France, mostly motorways, can go as low as 40 mpg (only driving +- 105 km/h (65mph).
Quite happy with it, as the average is bang on the factory figures.
and with 6 l/100 km, lower than the 6,4 the factory stated. But I think they were driving faster?

Our 2012 180bhp Cali SE does between 32 and 36 mpg.

Went with my bro to pick up his 2017 Transit Custom 170bhp (AdBlue) yesterday. It’s his new work van, 3 seats in front and empty rear, so pretty light.
He is very heavy with the right foot, yet it still did 45mpg.

Guessing the weight made a big difference compared to our 3 tonne full on camper.

But in the days of £1.50 per litre, any tips for eeking some more mpg out on the Cali?

Went with my bro to pick up his 2017 Transit Custom 170bhp (AdBlue) yesterday. It’s his new work van, 3 seats in front and empty rear, so pretty light.

Guessing the weight made a big difference compared to our 3 tonne full on camper.

But in the days of £1.50 per litre, any tips for eeking some more mpg out on the Cali?
Your sobriquet would suggest a drag reduction exercise to improve mpg?

Roof spoiler/tapered rear end fairing/mirrors off? Might be worth 0.5mpg?

Since June this year I’ve covered 10,000 miles in a new T6.1 SWB Kombi Window Van, 6-speed manual 150ps - Two swivel seats up-front and nothing in the back. Getting average 32mpg, mostly motorway miles. My previous T6 California Beach was about the same, so I don’t seem to be saving much with the reduced weight.

Reading the Transporter Forums it seems most vans get 40+mpg but it all depends on traffic and routes. Traffic lights and roundabouts are killers on mpg.
My last VPower fill up was £1.70 litre.

I managed over 55mpg out of a new T6.1 panel van, smallest engine with 5 speed box so its not just aerodynamics. It was empty & running on skinny rock hard tyres.
My 199 T6.1 Ocean gets anything between 14mpg! and 40mpg depending on roads, length of journey, traffic & how heavy my right foot is.

As to how to get the most mpg out of a 180:

Keep your revs down under the point where the 2nd turbo is spooling up when cruising. On our old 140 the turbo cut in at 82mph in 6th & there was a large difference in mpg by keeping under that speed, I don't know when the 2nd turbo kicks in on a 180.

Tyres can make a huge difference - the 215 rock hard commercial tyres that come as standard on a new van ride badly but they help with mpg - we found the difference between 215 and 255 tyres could be as much as 5mpg.

Use something else for short round town journeys if you have an alternative. Short journeys with lots of stop start are the worst, getting 3 tonnes moving takes a lot of effort.

It all depends how it’s measured. On the computer it’s always going to give better figures. The only way to calculate properly is to top up the tank till it shuts off. If you do that 2 -3 times and take the average that’s as accurate as you will get.

It all depends how it’s measured. On the computer it’s always going to give better figures. The only way to calculate properly is to top up the tank till it shuts off. If you do that 2 -3 times and take the average that’s as accurate as you will get.

I don't see how measuring MPG differently actually makes any difference to how much in £s you end up putting in the tank.

I was wondering if anyone has had success with remapping etc.
The tyres point makes a lot of sense.
Also thanks for confirming the sort of MPG we get is about average.
We have two other cars too so the Cali is generally run about once a fortnight when we're not away in it.
Bro's Transit Custom heads on a 500 mile round trip to Wales this weekend, so will be interesting to see what MPG he gets overall.

I was wondering if anyone has had success with remapping etc.
The tyres point makes a lot of sense.
Also thanks for confirming the sort of MPG we get is about average.
We have two other cars too so the Cali is generally run about once a fortnight when we're not away in it.
Bro's Transit Custom heads on a 500 mile round trip to Wales this weekend, so will be interesting to see what MPG he gets overall.
We had ours remapped a couple of years ago. It wasn’t for extra BHP but more for the torque. Acceleration is vastly improved plus an extra 2-3 mpg on runs. No changing down on hills like previously. In my opinion well worth it.

Back