Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MPG Query

Got down to 5 miles to go the other day ! Got very worried . Does anyone know how acurate the computer is ? Had been trying to find fuel for 40 miles . Went to Nec yesterday , 300 miles round trip averaged 36 mpg (180 deg 4 motion no bike rack ) best ever averaging 60/70 mph in heavy traffic (15k miles ).

I'm pretty sure there's a reserve even when showing zero because the figure depends on your driving. Also on our other vehicle, I have made a point of running the tank down as low as I dare (zero on range) when I know fuel is nearby, so I know how close to the wire I could be if needed. I habitually run the tank down to reserve, otherwise the fuel load is like a permanent extra passenger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got down to 5 miles to go the other day ! Got very worried . Does anyone know how acurate the computer is ? Had been trying to find fuel for 40 miles . Went to Nec yesterday , 300 miles round trip averaged 36 mpg (180 deg 4 motion no bike rack ) best ever averaging 60/70 mph in heavy traffic (15k miles ).

Beware running the tank too low. There is a reason you have an in-line fuel filter. Tanks accumulate a lot of particulate matter over time, also there is a bacteria that will survive on diesel and produces a sticky gel, especially on diesel left standing for weeks/months on end, and running too low can easily block the filter.

And don't forget you can get small amounts of water present as well.

Beware running the tank too low. There is a reason you have an in-line fuel filter. Tanks accumulate a lot of particulate matter over time, also there is a bacteria that will survive on diesel and produces a sticky gel, especially on diesel left standing for weeks/months on end, and running too low can easily block the filter.

The fuel is sucked from the bottom of the tank even when it is full. The fuel and the muck is being constantly mixed by the movement of the van. Running the tank dry will only drag stuff that is floating on top of the fuel into the filter - water is heavier than fuel.

The fuel is sucked from the bottom of the tank even when it is full. The fuel and the muck is being constantly mixed by the movement of the van. Running the tank dry will only drag stuff that is floating on top of the fuel into the filter - water is heavier than fuel.
Yes, to an extent. As the tank volume decreases the volume of distribution for any particulate matter decreases so the concentration of contaminants increases and could block the filter.
Unfortunately Practice and Theory don’t always agree.

Thanks Welsh gas . We’ve had boats for many years so are aware of bug / water contamination . Is draining /cleaning tank/ filter , part of any VW service schedule ? How many filters are there in a Cali ? Boats usually have minimum 2 ?

Thanks Welsh gas . We’ve had boats for many years so are aware of bug / water contamination . Is draining /cleaning tank/ filter , part of any VW service schedule ? How many filters are there in a Cali ? Boats usually have minimum 2 ?
Servicing doesn't include tank cleaning and there is only 1 filter.
Not normally a problem in automobiles as they are on the go all the time except for Motorhomes and Campervans that can be left in storage for prolonged periods with diesel in the tanks. There are additives you can get. Don't know if they are any good.

Interesting. I reckon in Jennifer I get around 40 MPG average. I did check very carefully when she was new as I do high mileage and was concerned. She is better than a 15 plate RR Evoque auto. I live on a hill and travel down into the town... coast down stop at 70MPG and by the time I get back up she is at 40 - 41.

I use coasting constantly..... love it...

Average 40 - 41 MPG

She is better than a 15 plate RR Evoque auto.

That would make me happy if it turns out to be the case for me. I typically get 38 to 40 MPG in my 15 plate 2.2 Dynamic Evoque.

Interesting. I reckon in Jennifer I get around 40 MPG average. I did check very carefully when she was new as I do high mileage and was concerned. She is better than a 15 plate RR Evoque auto. I live on a hill and travel down into the town... coast down stop at 70MPG and by the time I get back up she is at 40 - 41.

I use coasting constantly..... love it...

Average 40 - 41 MPG

You have a van called Jennifer?

poor soul, have you checked to see if your seat has an eject mechanism fitted.... :sad

You have a van called Jennifer?

poor soul, have you checked to see if your seat has an eject mechanism fitted.... :sad

As in Anniston.... Two beautiful girls.... Amazing.... I couldnt think of a better name for her... Both head turners... Do I need to say more?

That would make me happy if it turns out to be the case for me. I typically get 38 to 40 MPG in my 15 plate 2.2 Dynamic Evoque.

Interesting... Making the same move as I did. Yes Jen has better MPG than the RR Evoque, I also have a better back as a result of driving Jennifer. She is so much better a vehicle than the RR in every way...

I was very pleased the other day driving back from Poole with a caravan on the back. 60mph and achieving 26 mpg. A long time since I last towed a caravan but that was with a Disco and getting around 21.

if you don't care, why the hell are you replying to this post. and why are you reading it. the OP asked about the MPG as he needs to account to his firm the fuel costs. My company also will be asking the same questions. I don't give a flying ..... if you care or not. some people do, and its nice just to get a reply without some smart ass comments from people who more then likely drive only on sundays.
F

Anyhooo... back on topic

When we hired the T6 Ocean 150 Manual (with 12k miles on) a few weekends ago, we got 35.5mpg overall in our 450 miles that we did. That was a mix of urban, 70mph on cruise up the A1, then driving around the north york moors (v hilly, pedal welded to the floor up most hills to keep up the pace with the cars). Certainly not driving for economy.

We thought it was really good on fuel and it was easily managing over 40mpg when on the motorway at 70mph.

A couple of cups of coffee and a lunch in the van over a long trip and the extra diesel is easily covered... and I have heard people say that you can even sleep in it though that sounds a tad far fetched .....

al

if you don't care, why the hell are you replying to this post. and why are you reading it. the OP asked about the MPG as he needs to account to his firm the fuel costs. My company also will be asking the same questions. I don't give a flying ..... if you care or not. some people do, and its nice just to get a reply without some smart ass comments from people who more then likely drive only on sundays.
F
If you are referring to me i drive mine every day apart from sunday hence it has now done 138k miles. Surely it is better to reply than just tick disagree

Easy to get obsessive about fuel economy or lack of it. On my previous BMW it had an ECO mode that I tended to use most of the time, it showed how many miles I'd gained during this mode operation. typically anything between 7 and 14 miles between fill ups. When projected out to a years driving I'd only saved at most £10 over the entire year.
Incidentally one rapid acceleration out of a layby into 70MPH traffic could wipe out most of what had been saved over 400 miles.
Roundabouts and obviously traffic lights are the worst fuel consuming obstacles not to mention the dreaded speed calming measures.

A couple of cups of coffee and a lunch in the van over a long trip and the extra diesel is easily covered... and I have heard people say that you can even sleep in it though that sounds a tad far fetched .....

al
:thumb:D

I drive around 125 KM/h on the Autobahn, I can do around 950 km/80l (depends on the road/where I am going), so around 8.5 L/100Km is okay for me.
My Octavia does the same, smaller fuel tank (50 L), 800 KM and around 5.3 L/KM.

Of course fuel consumption matters. The statement about what the vehicle costs is stupid. If the Cali costs £50k and did 9mpg you would be up in arms about it...!!!
Lucky the California is actually quite frugal considering the weight and size of it. No it cant match the economy of a car, but it isn't bad all things considered.

Having had a Petrol 150 for the last 5 weeks, the biggest thing that has annoyed me is the range I am getting to a tank. Anywhere between 360-400miles. My 140bhp diesel can get anywhere between 480-550miles, thus I spend less time at petrol stations.

So for me, I want a vehicle that is as economical as possible regardless of cost and my 140 Beach is about spot on.

We’ve just done a 400 mile round trip to Henley for a few days. A good opportunity to give her a proper run and clear out, so wasn’t hanging around. Averaged 40 mpg according to the trip computer, run the van exclusively on Shell V Power diesel. Pretty happy with that.

Back