Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MUDFLAPS

Stef Williams

Stef Williams

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Please can someone help.

I want to put mudflaps on my cali 2003 LHD, but all ones i see are not for aircon models!!

Can someone tell me are there other versions???? Does it matter???? Can they be modified???? If so how????

THANK YOU !

We've got genuine mudflaps. Front and rear. We've got aircon too. No problems or mods needed to fit the flaps. When you fit the rear ones though bear in mind where they are meant to sit as they catch the sliding door if they're not at the optimum position on the bumper. I think there were instructions. Once on though the clearance is literally millimetres. I think that there maybe some vehicles - multivans - that had aircon in the rear too which I think may of had some gubbins in the rear wheelarch, behind the bumper that would foul on the mudflaps when trying to fit them.

Also some 3rd Party mudflats may have different style of fitting.

I've just ordered some mud flaps direct from my local VW Commercial dealer. Was quoted £35 +VAT For fronts; Rears were £27.50 +VAT no aircon, 41.67 +VAT With aircon. There must be a difference?

I've just ordered some mud flaps direct from my local VW Commercial dealer. Was quoted £35 +VAT For fronts; Rears were £27.50 +VAT no aircon, 41.67 +VAT With aircon. There must be a difference?
Well there doesn't appear to be any external styling differences so it must be in the fittings supplied. If you do have AirCon then there is an AirCon condenser matrix and pipes etc: behind the Offside rear wing so maybe the fitting is different for the genuine VW mud flaps, whereas the 3rd Party versions use a different fitting technique.

The way they describe the mudflaps is a bit deceptive. Basically certain markets (and mainly the caravelle) had secondary rear passenger aircon as an option. The pipework for the refrigerant came from the compressor in the engine bay to the rear right hand inner wheel arch where it entered the cabin to join the condensor and fan unit. This is the point where it would cause issue with mounting mudflaps as the pipework would be in the way. It's unlikely you'll have this in your camper as the fan/condensor unit took up quite a bit of boot space. Which is at a premium in any camper. Although you DO have aircon to the front passenger area it isn't the one that would cause any problem mounting non-aircon mudflaps.

The way they describe the mudflaps is a bit deceptive. Basically certain markets (and mainly the caravelle) had secondary rear passenger aircon as an option. The pipework for the refrigerant came from the compressor in the engine bay to the rear right hand inner wheel arch where it entered the cabin to join the condensor and fan unit. This is the point where it would cause issue with mounting mudflaps as the pipework would be in the way. It's unlikely you'll have this in your camper as the fan/condensor unit took up quite a bit of boot space. Which is at a premium in any camper. Although you DO have aircon to the front passenger area it isn't the one that would cause any problem mounting non-aircon mudflaps.
Sorry, but not correct. If you have the Climatronic 3 Zone Air Con then you have the AirCon pipes and condenser/heat exchanger matrix + fan etc in the rear OffSide wing area. Even if you do not have that AirCon system then you still have a fan and heater matrix in the same area.

Sorry, but not correct. If you have the Climatronic 3 Zone Air Con then you have the AirCon pipes and condenser/heat exchanger matrix + fan etc in the rear OffSide wing area. Even if you do not have that AirCon system then you still have a fan and heater matrix in the same area.

Yes correct. This maybe the case with the T5 and onwards which I see from your profile you own, but Stef (the OP), California Bubble and myself are referring to the T4 Westfalia which although based on the Caravelle of the time generally never came with rear passenger aircon.

Yes correct. This maybe the case with the T5 and onwards which I see from your profile you own, but Stef (the OP), California Bubble and myself are referring to the T4 Westfalia which although based on the Caravelle of the time generally never came with rear passenger aircon.
So in California Bubble's post above regarding ordering Mud Flaps - the AirCon flaps would be for the Caravelle and Not the Westfalia?
If that is not the case, and there are 2 types for Westfalia T4's then Stef ( the OP ) needs to check carefully or it could be expensive.

The Westfalia California never came with a rear passenger aircon unit. It took up a lot of space in the rear right corner of the van interior and therefore wouldn't allow a bed of a useful width to be fitted. It's taken me a decent amount of time to research this and it's unlikely that most owners are aware that any T4s - van, minibus, Caravelle, multivan or otherwise came with rear passenger aircon as an option. Therefore the confusion arises when the two options are offered when making the enquiry at a VW dealers. Our Westy has aircon, but only in the front. I was offered the choice of mud flaps and chose the no aircon version which fit perfectly without any modification.

well i have the non air con version, time will tell when it comes back from body shop