Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multivan based California Announced

Diesels might well be still around in 2035, BUT so will LEZ's. The Welsh District Council, sorry Assembly, is planning on passing the necessary Legal Instruments to convert the M4 around Newport and the A470 around Pontypridd into LEZ zones, and guess what they plan on charging £12.50 for each entry into the zone.
I think the Add Blue diesels will be ok for a while. Also, if you assume that an EV camper will be 20K more, or even just 10K more, then that is 1,600 or 800 LEZ payments.

I get the whole price/range debate but aren’t we all a bit guilty here of not really concerning ourselves about burning up the planet, climate change, pollution and emissions etc? Also (as a current diesel Coast owner) I wonder if there will be a time when the price of diesel goes through the roof and the 2nd hand value of diesel vehicles fall through the floor?

Last edited:
I get the whole price/range debate but aren’t we all a bit guilty here of not really concerning ourselves about burning up the planet, climate change, pollution and emissions etc? Also (as a current diesel Coast owner) I wonder if there will be a time when the price of diesel goes through the roof and the 2nd value of diesel vehicles fall through the floor?
The banning of new diesel vehicles will go a long way to solving the issue as older ones will eventually just disappear and no new ones to replace them. On heavier vehicles though what alternative is there to diesel? Pure electric will only go so far at the moment in terms of weight and size.

No interest in hybrid. Would rather keep the current Cali & EV car.

But would be very interested in EV Camper, think Ford will be the first with a Nugget style conversion.

This car is just a stepping stone to the EV buzz California. Volkswagen have purposely starved off the Buzz Cali because 4 years from now battery technology could be very different.
I wouldn’t touch this Multi with a barge pole.
Jack of all trades, master of none…!!!

I think the Add Blue diesels will be ok for a while. Also, if you assume that an EV camper will be 20K more, or even just 10K more, then that is 1,600 or 800 LEZ payments.
Euro7 is on the Horizon. Kahn , or whoever, won’t be able to resist the temptation of making the ULEZ Euro 7 only and others will follow.

So what is the game changer
1) the chassis design isn't 20 years old. Better ride, safer in accidents
2) it will be much more car like to drive. My Cali is my only vehicle, but I often wish it was a car.
3) petrol / plug in hybrid makes massive sense for a mixed daily/camper vehicle. Modern petrols have got a lot more efficient recently
4) that combo gives it the best shot of the long life necessary to justify the residuals many of us rely on it make it affordable, even if you don't care.
5) 20 year old interior will hopefully be designed from scratch. You certainly couldn't retrofit it it into a 2004 Cali like you can with a 6.1.
6) it will strike most folk as an mpv not a van. That will help folk who hit the 'no van' part of their housing lease.

That's for starters. And I was actually comparing this increment vs what we are usually served from T5 - 5.1 - 6 - 6.1, but I think it probably doesn't need that rider.

The world into which this announcement lands (if confirmed) is the real game changer. Small increments / fresh warranties / availability of two tone / digital dash etc were fine to keep (some of) us churning our vans over every few years, but I suspect the 6.1 is going to age very quickly if this appears and vw don't make a hash of it.

Wow, this is interesting, so much sensible input from all (both pro and rather con), images with dimensions and more: I like this post. I have put the below in another post but have modified it a bit and so now post it here because also/even more applicable.

Since we all have to renounce conventional fuels and the electric (and hybrid) vehicle is the supposed future. I myself hope for alternative synthetic fuels but that’s another story.
A lot has been written about the t7 multivan in this forum and let’s say not all that positive. Well, everyone has their own opinion. This is mine: Whenever I can, I check out the t7 multivan and sit in it, front and back. It is a familiar environment and does not look futuristic like the ID BuZz. For me this is a plus (although I have nothing against the latter; ok, I do: the price setting). The exterior rather appeals to me and the duck's beak and old Citroën monovolume jokes have been milked out (someone will certainly not be able to restrain themselves and still place another one, I'll chuckle and move on ;)). Yes, the looks can be debatable, but does this not apply to almost everything? Nor I think the transporter is the most beautiful van but I like it. Anyway, of the small campers it is the one that appeals to me the most and that's what it's about for me, the general look of the camper and this is more than the look of the van on which it is based. I like to use this one-liner: it wasn't so much the Volkswagen that I wanted but the California. Both for the appearance, the layout and its features.
The space inside a t7 multivan is spacious enough for a small campervan like the california. If they make a true successor california of it, I suppose it won't be with the existing furniture. The furniture and bench will probably be adjusted to the volume of the interior, so the living space will remain about the same as it is now. Personal: It would still have to be a 4-person campervan because otherwise this would be a stumbling point for us.
I am very happy with our t6.1 cali as a campervan: it’s everything we wanted and expected. But here's the kicker: Unfortunately, this is not the same as being satisfied; there is no way the transporter can hide the fact that it is more than 20 years old, although it tries very hard. I was expecting a mature product and that is a bit disappointing. The issues I had in the beginning, are not even influential in my opinion, it's just the general feeling I have when driving around.
Note: I don't feel unhappy while driving and I regularly have a smile on my face, but I attribute this more to the campervan feeling than to the transporter base. I suppose it will be even better with a t7 multivan campervan. If there is a full-fledged camper successor to the current california on this base, I would be very interested in it. I really have yet to see this happen, because the t7 is a people carrier and not a camionette in itself. I think they are rather enlarging the california family but that's just a guess.
If so and if convinced, I’d sell our current one and take the step. Not at first but after a while, see which way the wind blows.
So, I am a bit more than mildly pro a t7 multivan bases california I just still don’t see it happen and expect the true successor to still be based on Ford's new Transporter :Grin

Last edited:
You gotta love the VW scene, paints barely dry and the mods are on.
This is transporter HQs Multi.

The interior is brilliant, not sure about the outside. The single colours look a lot better than the two tones.

A03014D1-28F7-4AE4-962F-F742AB6FD6F5.jpeg

D38E5B95-781B-454E-AD34-1D9A48A5F6A6.jpeg

6160CFAF-F9B3-43A2-B7FD-95C86A98BE0E.jpeg

If this is true I’m pleased I ordered a T6.1. The Multivan (unless significantly modified) is far too much like an MPV with a lower driving position. Can’t beat a proper van! I should probably reserve judgement though until I see it…
I think those of us lucky enough to own a late model 6.1 are sitting on a good investment.

I think those of us lucky enough to own a late model 6.1 are sitting on a good investment.
I’d like to think so, though a lot will depend on the desirability of the Multivan Cali, and crucially what the list price will be for it. The T6.1 residuals will naturally find their own place based on these 2 things. I honestly don’t really care that much about residuals though as for me the T6.1 Cali is all about having as much fun as possible with our family and going away whenever we can feasibly do so. The residuals won’t make any difference to our enjoyment, though it’ll feel sweeter if they remain high like they did with the likes of the Landrover Defender.

My view is that rather than trying to judge or convince each other which may be the better or superior option we should be celebrating the possibility of having a much wider choice in the future - a soon to be phased out larger diesel that will be worth just as much to those who prefer it for years to come, an unknown Ford/VW van that may/may not have a hybrid / EV power train, an all electric Buzz with the pros and cons that that would entail and now possibly a slightly smaller hybrid version based on the T7. For me, being currently a one man and his dog and a single vehicle owner, the T7 hybrid would be a reasonable compromise.

My view is that rather than trying to judge or convince each other which may be the better or superior option we should be celebrating the possibility of having a much wider choice in the future - a soon to be phased out larger diesel that will be worth just as much to those who prefer it for years to come, an unknown Ford/VW van that may/may not have a hybrid / EV power train, an all electric Buzz with the pros and cons that that would entail and now possibly a slightly smaller hybrid version based on the T7. For me, being currently a one man and his dog and a single vehicle owner, the T7 hybrid would be a reasonable compromise.
In predict it will go something like the air-cooled vs watercooled 911. There will be enough aficionados of the old tech Cali to keep them desirable and the prices buoyant. Just like the last air-cooled Porsche 911 model, they won't be making anymore of them and prices sky rocketed. My base model 993 RWD Carrera doubled in value in less than 10 years. If I had owned a wide body or limited edition RS, prices would have tripled or quadrupled, respectively. So if you are lucky enough to have a well speced version eg 204, DSG, 4Mo, my crystal ball tells me to expect an upward trend. If I'm proved wrong I will still be owning and enjoying my home from home.

In predict it will go something like the air-cooled vs watercooled 911. There will be enough aficionados of the old tech Cali to keep them desirable and the prices buoyant. Just like the last air-cooled Porsche 911 model, they won't be making anymore of them and prices sky rocketed. My base model 993 RWD Carrera doubled in value in less than 10 years. If I had owned a wide body or limited edition RS, prices would have tripled or quadrupled, respectively. So if you are lucky enough to have a well speced version eg 204, DSG, 4Mo, my crystal ball tells me to expect an upward trend. If I'm proved wrong I will still be owning and enjoying my home from home.
All good campers hold their value if we’ll looked after, irrespective of model T2, T25, T4, T5, T6…. Especially low mileage examples when production stops.

Last edited:
A quick search on Autotrader shows quite a few T6.1s for sale:
100 Ocean
16 Coast
5 Beach Tour
5 Beach Camper

Maybe the Beach models will be more desirable in future due to rarity!

6A25268E-6DD9-4C33-A1BA-B4D245565E98.jpeg

Like @WelshGas I'm interested in this to be the sole vehicle. I dearly want to wait for a good EV pickup and demountable to leave all the camping gear at home 90% of the time but I don't know how long that wait will be.

My two concerns are:
1) What will be the range of the EV part - they say short urban commutes but is that ten miles or fifty?
2) Hybrid = more complicated, more things to go wrong and service vs an EV

Like @WelshGas I'm interested in this to be the sole vehicle. I dearly want to wait for a good EV pickup and demountable to leave all the camping gear at home 90% of the time but I don't know how long that wait will be.
Tesla cybertruck, or, Rivian if they ever make it over to the UK.

My two concerns are:
1) What will be the range of the EV part - they say short urban commutes but is that ten miles or fifty?
2) Hybrid = more complicated, more things to go wrong and service vs an EV
Only about 25 miles on the battery exclusively, but that’ll do me for nipping round the block etc :)

Tesla cybertruck, or, Rivian if they ever make it over to the UK.
Yes, Cybertruck is too big though, maybe a euro varient... so even longer to wait. Rivian is nice, just hope they survive long enough and our charging infrastructure gains reliability. Tesla Superchargers are the most reliable in the UK.

Yes, you’re right but trying to judge or convince each other? Most posts I read in this thread are just personal thoughts, just like yours. Frankly, this is a thread where everybody is rather mild en understanding for each other. My guess why this is so: everyone realizes that the days of the current transporter are numbered and so are fossil fuels. Also, no one is likely to be against broadening the California range. Although I am in favor of alternative fuels such as synthetic ones, electric vehicles are being forced on us so they will come.
Like you show in your last sentence: everyone is looking what serves him best and that expansion can only be positive.

Last edited:
Yes, Cybertruck is too big though, maybe a euro varient... so even longer to wait. Rivian is nice, just hope they survive long enough and our charging infrastructure gains reliability. Tesla Superchargers are the most reliable in the UK.
Not a pickup but this is coming in 2024..but would assume Ford will release a pickup:

Maybe they will have a family on california? Caddy, multivan, Id buzz and the new van based on the ford transit.

It would work for me. I wanted a more fun and versatile car for weekend walk and hired a california for 2 days. It was not for me. I loved it once stationary but hated the drive. I swore all weekend at people saying it drives like a car ;-)

So I would love a cali based on a car not a van. The id buzz is a no. I keep my cars forever and battery do not work for me so multivan cali would fit the bill and is very exciting!
Interesting you dismiss the Buzz so readily. All the testers say it meets your requirement that you want your van to drive like a car. The longer you keep an E vehicle the more sense they make.

Back