Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multivan based California Announced

Der VW Multivan: Ausstattungen & Pakete | VW NutzfahrzeugeOpening on the Multivan doesn't look to be very poptop friendly. That centre stay is probably structural.
Or maybe the expanse of glass would be too large without it. Good to speculate though :)

Was curious on size so I checked online. Multi van is wider, practically the same length and while shorter, has a lower floor so look like it could work unless I got something really wrong?

View attachment 106327
I parked beside a new Multivan yesterday in a car park and visually there is very little difference in size when standing beside the two. The biggest difference for me was in the appearance but I thought it was still a very good looking van and could easily see it as a California.

Or maybe the expanse of glass would be too large without it. Good to speculate though :)
Actually more likely because of the slope in roof. Glass is flat - over the length of roof there is a curvature so breaking in two solves that. It is of course possible but very hard (expensive) to make curved glass that long. It also holds the rear passenger controls for the AC. In terms of structure it's probably only a brace to reduce body shake. Like Cabriolets there are other ways to solve for this by strengthening the chassis. I definitely don't think it's a showstopper.

I thought the front section tilted open? whilst the rear is fixed.

Having re-read the brochure there is no mention of it opening other than the following, but that could just mean the blind closing :

PreCrash preventive occupant protection. Tensioning of the front seat belts, closing of electric windows,
closing of optional panoramic sunroof and preconditioning of brake systems should a critical driving situation be detected.

I parked beside a new Multivan yesterday in a car park and visually there is very little difference in size when standing beside the two. The biggest difference for me was in the appearance but I thought it was still a very good looking van and could easily see it as a California.
Since the Multivan is built on a car chassis, the front row is quite a ways further back, meaning the load area is considerably shorter than the T5/6. A cap has been placed over what would be the hood to make the roof line look like a van, but that makes mostly unusable space on top of the instrument panel. It’s a money saving tactic to save the cost of designing a new chassis (this is also the case with the Buzz’s ID.3 chassis) but with the front row so far back, it gives a van image without a van’s efficient use of space, plus un unnecessary second A pillar which affects forward vision.

Last edited:
Since the Multivan is built on a car chassis, the front row is quite a ways further back, meaning the load area is considerably shorter than the T5/6.
I think you are wrong there. (talking about the long version)

The Multivan is longer than a T6.1 but the extra length is in the front not the back, so although the front seats are further from the front bumper, they are no closer to the back bumper.

Its easy to prove....
As the widths of the Multivan & T6.1 are near as makes no difference the same, & the internal square meterage behind the front seats is the same according to VW brochures, it's quite easy to work out that the length behind the front seats must be almost identical.

I think you are wrong there. (talking about the long version)

The Multivan is longer than a T6.1 but the extra length is in the front not the back, so although the front seats are further from the front bumper, they are no closer to the back bumper.

Its easy to prove....
As the widths of the Multivan & T6.1 are near as makes no difference the same, & the internal square meterage behind the front seats is the same according to VW brochures, it's quite easy to work out that the length behind the front seats must be almost identical.
I’m looking for that dimension too. That said, this does not look to me like an efficient use of space in a vehicle (the short version!) that is 7cm longer than my van. The long version of the multivan is 27cm longer than a T6 with only short wheelbase T6 room. Who wants that? It’s in effect large SUV proportions with a false nose to make it look like a van, so not what I’m looking for. Others may have larger garages (long version) or don’t need the space (short version).89016DD2-897F-491E-AD8E-D30A53EDF3CC.png

Last edited:
To help the discussion I have put together a comparison of the T6 Beach and the T7 Long Energetic Hybrid dimensions. Lots to compare, but here are my initial observations:
1. T7 payload is really low for the hybrid. Add about another 90kg for the petrol and a whopping 230kg for the diesel.
2. T7 living area length is very good and actually longer than the T6.
3. According to the specs, the T7 is also wider inside than the T6. Something does not quite correlate here is the floor area is 0.8 square metres larger in the T6.
4. The key point for me is the bed width, which is 100mm narrower in the T7. As VW have yet to introduce the T7 California, I found the widest aftermarket bed (SpaceCamper - looks quite nice actually).

IMG_2432.png

3. According to the specs, the T7 is also wider inside than the T6. Something does not quite correlate here is the floor area is 0.8 square metres larger in the T6.

View attachment 109231
The t6 is 4m2 living area behind the front seats, from the brochure I uploaded in the other thread the Multivan Long is 4.038m2 behind the front seats.

Worth noting having examined one that the boot might be a fraction wider at low level but it feels a lot narrower higher up.

To help the discussion I have put together a comparison of the T6 Beach and the T7 Long Energetic Hybrid dimensions. Lots to compare, but here are my initial observations:
1. T7 payload is really low for the hybrid. Add about another 90kg for the petrol and a whopping 230kg for the diesel.
2. T7 living area length is very good and actually longer than the T6.
4. The key point for me is the bed width, which is 100mm narrower in the T7. As VW have yet to introduce the T7 California, I found the widest aftermarket bed (SpaceCamper - looks quite nice actually).

View attachment 109231
Here’s a photo of the Space Camper bed, 200cm x 140 cm. It seems that the Multivan is wider than a T6 on the outside but 10cm narrower on the inside.8AB3CACB-536E-4312-90B5-0418D209621C.png

The t6 is 4m2 living area behind the front seats, from the brochure I uploaded in the other thread the Multivan Long is 4.038m2 behind the front seats.

Worth noting having examined one that the boot might be a fraction wider at low level but it feels a lot narrower higher up.
These are the sources for the load areas, which I took from the brochures. I couldn’t find the area for the Beach so used the Shuttle, which is pretty much the same.

IMG_2433.jpeg

IMG_2434.jpeg

It seems that the Multivan is wider than a T6 on the outside but 10cm narrower on the inside.
Exactly what I thought. I reckon the side panelling must be deeper on the Multivan.

I think someone, or many people, are asleep at the wheel at Volkswagen. The T1/T2 established VW’s reputation with an entire generation because they were economically priced, built with high quality, and incredibly efficient in their use of space. The economy is gone, the build quality has been questionable at best for years now (a large part of the activity of this forum is devoted to finding hacks to deal with VW’s manufacturing errors and poor dealer support), and these lastest models have gone fat on the outside while losing space on the inside, all to save tooling costs. One day people are going to wake up and realize that VW is going the way of “The King’s new clothes.” I chose to buy a VW because it was still the best in the market in its design. I still think that, and fortunately my local dealer gives exemplary service, but I have been deeply shocked by the low quality of the interior finishings (I wrote about making a 15,000 mile tour of the US and Canada with five friends in a T2 when I was 16 years old…nothing broke. I had the same experience driving Mexico manufactured Beetles and T2s cross country and up dry river beds into the mountains in Mexico for years…with my current T5.1 I keep a plastic bag of broken pieces that I glue back together when I have time, still have to buy a bag of the plastic upper bed roof trim rivets that fall out on their own while parked. No mention of the seat fabric which stains when you wave a closed bottle of water over it, or the trauma experienced by kids who try to raise the side window blinds.) There is a red hot market for a robustly built economical and space efficient van, and when some manufacturer brings it to market, they will become the new VW.

Last edited:
These are the sources for the load areas, which I took from the brochures. I couldn’t find the area for the Beach so used the Shuttle, which is pretty much the same.
If you use the dimensions of max length behind the first row of seats X the maximum width it gives 4.370m2 for the multivan long Versus 4.3m2 for the shuttle.

I think someone, or many people, are asleep at the wheel at Volkswagen. The T1/T2 established VW’s reputation with an entire generation because they were economically priced, built with high quality, and incredibly efficient in their use of space. The economy is gone, the build quality has been questionable at best for years now (a large part of the activity of this forum is devoted to finding hacks to deal with VW’s manufacturing errors and poor dealer support), and these lastest models have gone fat on the outside while losing space on the inside, all to save tooling costs. One day people are going to wake up and realize that VW is going the way of “The King’s new clothes.” I chose to buy a VW because it was still the best in the market in its design. I still think that, and fortunately my local dealer gives exemplary service, but I have been deeply shocked by the low quality of the interior finishings (I wrote about making a 15,000 mile tour of the US and Canada with five friends in a T2 when I was 16 years old…nothing broke. I had the same experience driving Mexico manufactured Beetles and T2s cross country and up dry river beds into the mountains in Mexico for years…with my current T5.1 I keep a plastic bag of broken pieces that I glue back together when I have time, still have to buy a bag of the plastic upper bed roof trim rivets that fall out on their own while parked. No mention of the seat fabric which stains when you wave a closed bottle of water over it, or the trauma experienced by kids who try to raise the side window blinds.) There is a red hot market for a robustly built economical and space efficient van, and when some manufacturer brings it to market, they will become the new VW.
Well, if I were to write a review it would be far from your idea of the most practical and full of smart finds small campervan. Have you thought about buying something else?
Anyway, I just said here about two month ago that the t6.1 cali has a chassis from an almost 20 year old van (which it is) and was outed by someone. I'm curious what he will write on your post :D and if he can keep it polite :rolleyes:
I am a HUGE favorite of the california, from the oldest to the newest. I have waited 20 months hopefully for its delivery and after some annoying issues during the first year - with one very big one that I even thought of selling it back and waiting for the new california - I can only be very happy with my cali. Meanwhile a good year old and more than 24,000 kilometers on the count, many from short trips to some larger trips. You even forget how much of your savings went towards buying it. FYI: before that we had a T4 westfalia california for 10 years, also to our great satisfaction, but an airco, some more power and the aforementioned ingenuity of Volkswagen made us buy a new one.
But all this does not keep me from looking forward to the california version based on the multivan and others to come in the california family.

Well, if I were to write a review it would be far from your idea of the most practical and full of smart finds small campervan. Have you thought about buying something else?
Anyway, I just said here about two month ago that the t6.1 cali has a chassis from an almost 20 year old van (which it is) and was outed by someone. I'm curious what he will write on your post :D and if he can keep it polite :rolleyes:
I am a HUGE favorite of the california, from the oldest to the newest. I have waited 20 months hopefully for its delivery and after some annoying issues during the first year - with one very big one that I even thought of selling it back and waiting for the new california - I can only be very happy with my cali. Meanwhile a good year old and more than 24,000 kilometers on the count, many from short trips to some larger trips. You even forget how much of your savings went towards buying it. FYI: before that we had a T4 westfalia california for 10 years, also to our great satisfaction, but an airco, some more power and the aforementioned ingenuity of Volkswagen made us buy a new one.
But all this does not keep me from looking forward to the california version based on the multivan and others to come in the california family.
I think we are all looking forward to seeing what VW does next with its heritage California. Personally I think there may be too many compromises to make it a desirable upgrade, at least anything based on the MQB or MEB platforms. The best iteration (as a campervan package) will likely come out of the VW-Ford collab.

Why does a Multivan California have to compete/replace a T6.1 California?
We have the Caddy California and the Grand California. They talk about the California family.
Maybe the Multivan will be a 4 seat/ 2 berth Campervan and the Ford/VW collaboration a 4seat/4 berth Campervan.

We have the Caddy California and the Grand California. They talk about the California family.
Maybe the Multivan will be a 4 seat/ 2 berth Campervan and the Ford/VW collaboration a 4seat/4 berth Campervan.
Compete or replace? Certainly not, just an extra member to the california family. I look forward to all of the new members and one of them will be the true successor of the cali we know now.

Compete or replace? Certainly not, just an extra member to the california family. I look forward to all of the new members and one of them will be the true successor of the cali we know now.
That’s what I said. :thumb

It’s officially called the California Universe :)
Sounds like marketing, preparing customers to accept the compromises because they know they can’t replace the T6.1?

Diesels might well be still around in 2035, BUT so will LEZ's. The Welsh District Council, sorry Assembly, is planning on passing the necessary Legal Instruments to convert the M4 around Newport and the A470 around Pontypridd into LEZ zones, and guess what they plan on charging £12.50 for each entry into the zone.
Back to paying to get to Wales just like the Seven bridge was. Think I will stick to entering from Monmouth and over the Beacons (sorry should use new name!). Looks like Cardiff is out unless you cycle down the taff trail.

Sounds like marketing, preparing customers to accept the compromises because they know they can’t replace the T6.1?
The intention is to replace the T5/6 with the new Transit/Transporter made by Ford in Turkey starting next year…we’ll have to wait to see how that goes. Somehow I don’t see that leading to an improvement in build quality, but it’s important since VW announced a couple of years ago that the Multivan would have a short production run.

Back to paying to get to Wales just like the Seven bridge was. Think I will stick to entering from Monmouth and over the Beacons (sorry should use new name!). Looks like Cardiff is out unless you cycle down the taff trail.
Don’t be too despondent. It is just talk at the moment. Thousands upon thousands use those routes everyday and there is no realistic way round.

They’re not California’s and never will be.
Volkswagen used the successful California branding to try and sell them.

I could stick a California badge on my Fiat, would it then be part of the California universe…?
Not really, but then again. The next true T is in-fact a Ford…

Back