Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multivan based California Announced

I was at VW dealership last week. Their comment was that multivan wouldn't work as a camper, as VW had filled roofspace with cables and stuff so you couldn't fit a pop top.

Sounds like the engineers may be hard at work fixing that issue lol

I was at VW dealership last week. Their comment was that multivan wouldn't work as a camper, as VW had filled roofspace with cables and stuff so you couldn't fit a pop top.

Sounds like the engineers may be hard at work fixing that issue lol
Seeing as some VW Dealerships believe the roof is made of fibreglass then I wouldn't place much credo on their inside knowledge.

The 1.4 TSI with electric motor linked via DSG has been in VAG cars for about 7 years. It’s in Passat and Golf GTE and I have the same in a 2016 A3. Mine does about 20 miles on battery alone but batteries are bigger now and nearer 30 mile range. Although the motor isn’t as powerful as an all electric, because it runs through DSG it is pretty nippy. In kick down the 2 motors work together and so it can be pretty quick. For me, the short EV range for day to day runs covers most daily use with petrol for longer trips and my 70k Audi has probably only done 35k on petrol. Whether to wait for a T7 without knowing details or take a last opportunity for a new 6.1. Dilemma!

The commercial T6.1 order book is closed and will be followed by closure of the T6.1 California manufacturing line. The Ford/Vw collaboration production line hasn't opened yet and I'm sure when it does VW will be concentrating on commercial production rather than a California. In the meantime there will be a gap. A Multivan California is perfectly placed for a decent production run of at least 5+ years for an IC version and 10yrs for a hybrid version. The IDBuzz could fill the gap as a California Beach, but as an Ocean equivalent I'm not so sure.
Only time will tell.

The commercial T6.1 order book is closed and will be followed by closure of the T6.1 California manufacturing line. The Ford/Vw collaboration production line hasn't opened yet and I'm sure when it does VW will be concentrating on commercial production rather than a California. In the meantime there will be a gap. A Multivan California is perfectly placed for a decent production run of at least 5+ years for an IC version and 10yrs for a hybrid version. The IDBuzz could fill the gap as a California Beach, but as an Ocean equivalent I'm not so sure.
Only time will tell.
Buzz is nothing like a beach; Only seats 5, no sleeping capacity, non elevating roof, no camping heater, no awning. Plus it’s wider than a Volvo XC90, so not great for tight car parks / country lanes.

The Buzz’s closest equilavent in terms of seats / load capacity is a Tesla model Y, which is approx £15k cheaper, with a far greater range & has a dedicated charging network; The £15k Saving would cover a full set of solar panels on your home roof which can be used to offset car + home electricity costs.

The Buzz looks nice though, but novelty will only get it so far.

Re plug in hybrids, electric range needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, especially if your drive is a ICE/Elec combo, as every kick down in ICE mode will take a little bit of juice from your electric range. But keeps the dealerships happy as they still get the revenue stream for the ICE servicing.

Buzz is nothing like a beach; Only seats 5, no sleeping capacity, non elevating roof, no camping heater, no awning. Plus it’s wider than a Volvo XC90, so not great for tight car parks / country lanes.

The Buzz’s closest equilavent in terms of seats / load capacity is a Tesla model Y, which is approx £15k cheaper, with a far greater range & has a dedicated charging network; The £15k Saving would cover a full set of solar panels on your home roof which can be used to offset car + home electricity costs.

The Buzz looks nice though, but novelty will only get it so far.

Re plug in hybrids, electric range needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, especially if your drive is a ICE/Elec combo, as every kick down in ICE mode will take a little bit of juice from your electric range. But keeps the dealerships happy as they still get the revenue stream for the ICE servicing.
There have been numerous reports about an IDBuzz California, fitting a pop up roof and a 2 or 3 seat bench on some form of sliding system gives you a Beach, much simpler than a full camper. Who knows, an IDBuzz California Beach and a Multivan California Ocean even a 2 adult or a 2 adult + 2 children version whilst awaiting the Ford/VW collaboration effort.
Nowhere does it say the Beach and Ocean have to be based on the same vehicle. The Beach is a True MPV and the IDBuzz is heading in that direction.

There have been numerous reports about an IDBuzz California, fitting a pop up roof and a 2 or 3 seat bench on some form of sliding system gives you a Beach, much simpler than a full camper. Who knows, an IDBuzz California Beach and a Multivan California Ocean even a 2 adult or a 2 adult + 2 children version whilst awaiting the Ford/VW collaboration effort.
Nowhere does it say the Beach and Ocean have to be based on the same vehicle. The Beach is a True MPV and the IDBuzz is heading in that direction.
There seems to be an erroneous perception that a Beach is a simple version of an Ocean. Actually most Beach owners buy one because in addition to camping they need it to do things that an Ocean can't. In my case that's about 50% of its use for camping, the other 50% for carrying 7 full sized adults and all their skiing/mountaineering equipment for a week or more. The car based Buzz and Multivan can't do that. The only possibility of an actual replacement for the current Beach seems to be the rebadged Transit sold as a Transporter. There are VW factory "Californias" based on the Caddy, as there well may be versions based on the Sharan sized Buzz and new Multivan, but no one would consider them a replacement for an Ocean.

Last edited:
The way some folk describe the Transporter based Cali being of such perfect proportions (an inch longer / wider / shorter would kill it) seems to suggest the Transporter was built ground up to be a campervan.
Of course that's nonsense. Its dimensions owe far more to the size euro-pallets and lengths of timber / copper pipe commonly supplied.
The wide sliding door wasn't built to maximise the view on a sunny day; again it was dictated by the size of a pallet.

I hope they do build on the multivan platform because I think a more car like driving experience would really enhance it as a multi use vehicle.

It might also get the new tech (taking digital dash as an example) 4 or 5 years sooner (did Golf's get them in 2015/16? whilst we had to wait 'til 2020/21?).

Last edited:
As the EU want hybrids capable of 80km on battery it would be easy to upgrade the battery on the multivan and at same time uprate the suspension. Having been in both the multivan and buzz I prefer the multivan interior.

The way some folk describe the Transporter based Cali being of such perfect proportions (an inch longer / wider / shorter would kill it) seems to suggest the Transporter was built ground up to be a campervan.
Of course that's nonsense. Its dimensions owe far more to the size euro-pallets and lengths of timber / copper pipe commonly supplied.
The wide sliding door wasn't built to maximise the view on a sunny day; again it was dictated by the size of a pallet.

I hope they do build on the multivan platform because I think a more car like driving experience would really enhance it as a multi use vehicle.

It might also get the new tech (taking digital dash as an example) 4 or 5 years sooner (did Golf's get them in 2015/16? whilst we had to wait 'til 2020/21?).
I think the ideal dimensions for a camper are slightly bigger than the Transporter actually, but the Transporter just about manages it as it’s cleverly designed. The Multivan doesn’t really look to be designed to be a camper anymore than the Transporter as it just doesn’t seem tall enough, but happy to be proved wrong. Size wise it looks like it would sit between an Ocean and a Caddy, but I’m sure VW have something clever up their sleeve to shoehorn in the right bits.

I think the ideal dimensions for a camper are slightly bigger than the Transporter actually, but the Transporter just about manages it as it’s cleverly designed. The Multivan doesn’t really look to be designed to be a camper anymore than the Transporter as it just doesn’t seem tall enough, but happy to be proved wrong. Size wise it looks like it would sit between an Ocean and a Caddy, but I’m sure VW have something clever up their sleeve to shoehorn in the right bits.
I think in 5 years time, there will a family of california based on the caddy, multivan, idbuzz and new transporter. Each one of us will find his perfect fit. For me, pretty sure the multivan will do

I think the ideal dimensions for a camper are slightly bigger than the Transporter
For me, it would be slightly smaller and certainly more car like (as its my only vehicle) which just goes to show the benefit a range of options would bring as @reggie59 suggests above.

I think in 5 years time, there will a family of california based on the caddy, multivan, idbuzz and new transporter. Each one of us will find his perfect fit. For me, pretty sure the multivan will do
That would be interesting, although I can see mods having to banish "Does size matter?" and "Mine is bigger than yours" threads to The Three Cocks.

For me, it would be slightly smaller and certainly more car like (as its my only vehicle) which just goes to show the benefit a range of options would bring as @reggie59 suggests above.
I hired a t6.1 cali for a weekend and did not like the drive. I will test drive the multivan shortly to get a feel how a multivan cali would feel. I will report back.

Keep seeing multivans and they are growing on me. If they made the hybrid version with an elevating roof/bed can see us ordering one. Would run it alongside current EV.
isn't this what they announced?

This is Reimo, not volkswagen itself. Still curious what the new T7 multivan california will look like and what interior it will have.
He wasn't referring to Ch1pbutty's post

He wasn't referring to Ch1pbutty's post
I'm so sorry. I pay attention next time or wait: I'll take my post away. But then again: I was referring to that post. Thin lines for me nowadays.

Last edited:
Another thought has occurred to me on the hybrid camper concept; heating? Would we go to gas heating, or would an EHU become effectively mandatory for cold weather camping? This would probably make campsite selection more tricky as you're competing with the motorhome/caravan spots without an option for "off grid" camping. Gas heating we used in a hired motorhome and while very effective, we drained a fairly large Calor canister in a week!

Another thought has occurred to me on the hybrid camper concept; heating? Would we go to gas heating, or would an EHU become effectively mandatory for cold weather camping? This would probably make campsite selection more tricky as you're competing with the motorhome/caravan spots without an option for "off grid" camping. Gas heating we used in a hired motorhome and while very effective, we drained a fairly large Calor canister in a week!
The hybrid version has a petrol engine. There are petrol versions of both Webasto and Eberspacher parking heaters.

The hybrid version has a petrol engine. There are petrol versions of both Webasto and Eberspacher parking heaters.
+ you can already spec an aux heater on the current hybrid Multivan.

Also offered with a panoramic roof + climate in the rear…so should be easy to put a pop top on…as no wiring running up the centre of the roof.

Back