Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My 20,000 review T6 Ocean 199 4 motion

Thought I would share my thoughts on how I have found my Cali after 20k miles.
i use my Cali as my daily driver and my only car ( we also have my wifes car which is an SLK Which I don’t drive).

As some regular members may remember back in jan 2019 i had a bit of a crisis - an f type or a cali. i honestly thought i might be ridiculed as its hardly important - i was however very pleasantly surprised and everyone was supportive and gave some great advice. I can honestly say that thread helped me make my decision to go ahead with the Cali.

so positives
ive used it every day and with a bit of forward planning have managed to park in every town centre in east Anglia. Top tip i have a post card on the drivers sun shade with the dimensions on - very useful to know your exact height/width ect.

Camping has been great - we use the upstairs with a comfort topper and the dog has downstairs with occasional daughter joining us.

I got it so we could enjoy holidays in the UK with our working Golden retriever and it has been a blast - we have done west coast of Scotland, Angelsey, most of EA and Devon & Cornwall. More trips planned for this year virus permitting.

The extended warranty and service plan have proved very reassuring and have given me lots of peace of mind.

We’ve used the external shower - great for dog and during Covid when coming off beach and shower blocks are full.

we have used the kitchen a fair bit as the uk weather Can be unreliable - but we prefer to cook outside either on our hot plate if we are on hook up or cardac if not.

The 4 motion has been great in the snow and once on a motorway when it has raining really heavy - great to know it there more than anything.

We live in the countryside on unlit roads so I specked led headlights which have been great - as i get older my night vision is getting worse so the leds were really useful.

Sat nav - whilst much maligned has been good and you learn to check to avoid the odd strange route choice.

considerations
the big one is the price - hands sown the most expensive thing bar our house i have ever bought ( i put down 11k and had the balance over 3 years PCP - as that worked best for me.).

the only problems I’ve had were some trim came off inside table in the heat and The ash tray got stuck so I’ve been very fortunate.

Petrol economy Isn’t great for me i average 28/29 - probably my driving style.

I like the DSG for the Cali - but it isn’t the best system especially if you’ve come from driving a car like i had.

I speccced the torch and whilst I’ve used it a fair bit it was expensive for what it is.

so there it is 20k miles - it would be more like 40k if it wasn’t for Covid and i can honestly say very pleased i took a deep breath and made the plunge :)

That's one of the most graphic review I have ever read about a Cali :bananadance2
Couldn’t get the text to show lol

Last edited:
@gvick , yes, remember your discussions on taking a call on the Cali and good to hear that it has worked for you so well. The mileage shows that you have used the van very well. Ha ha! I know, had it not been for the lockdown, it could've easily be more than double.

You are right, think about it, all the things in the van just work together quite well.

In a similar boat as you - about 18K on my van ... and 5000 of that on a trip to Portugal ... and the van worked flawlessly. A daily driver, there have been many lunches, brunches, breakfasts and full-fat dinners in the van, and yes, has even fitted into a 1.9m underground parking lot (mine does have VB Air though) ...and into the tightest of parking spaces. When you cannot open the door, you always have the sliding door :)

Cooking inside, LED headlights, sleeping up top with a thermal wrapper, shower for when coming back from the beach, knowing that the 4MO is there to help when needed ... agree with all - a very nice experience overall and the convenience of just being ready all the time for a getaway.

The fuel economy sucks ... but only remember to think about it when back home :D . Otherwise, just drive and enjoy.

Wishing you and all many more happy miles with the van! enjoy. :thumb

@gvick , yes, remember your discussions on taking a call on the Cali and good to hear that it has worked for you so well. The mileage shows that you have used the van very well. Ha ha! I know, had it not been for the lockdown, it could've easily be more than double.

You are right, think about it, all the things in the van just work together quite well.

In a similar boat as you - about 18K on my van ... and 5000 of that on a trip to Portugal ... and the van worked flawlessly. A daily driver, there have been many lunches, brunches, breakfasts and full-fat dinners in the van, and yes, has even fitted into a 1.9m underground parking lot (mine does have VB Air though) ...and into the tightest of parking spaces. When you cannot open the door, you always have the sliding door :)

Cooking inside, LED headlights, sleeping up top with a thermal wrapper, shower for when coming back from the beach, knowing that the 4MO is there to help when needed ... agree with all - a very nice experience overall and the convenience of just being ready all the time for a getaway.

The fuel economy sucks ... but only remember to think about it when back home :D . Otherwise, just drive and enjoy.

Wishing you and all many more happy miles with the van! enjoy. :thumb
Thanks @kurienp

Great to read your enjoying your cali.
Have had many and do love them ,here’s to many more enjoyable times away for you ...
Yes there expensive but it’s slightly like money in the bank if you look after it it will always bring a premium when you want to sell it...
You will loose a little bit but you have gained a lot more exploring experience than you ever could with a jaagggg!!! and that’s worth the small loss ;)

Thought I would share my thoughts on how I have found my Cali after 20k miles.
i use my Cali as my daily driver and my only car ( we also have my wifes car which is an SLK Which I don’t drive).

As some regular members may remember back in jan 2019 i had a bit of a crisis - an f type or a cali. i honestly thought i might be ridiculed as its hardly important - i was however very pleasantly surprised and everyone was supportive and gave some great advice. I can honestly say that thread helped me make my decision to go ahead with the Cali.

so positives
ive used it every day and with a bit of forward planning have managed to park in every town centre in east Anglia. Top tip i have a post card on the drivers sun shade with the dimensions on - very useful to know your exact height/width ect.

Camping has been great - we use the upstairs with a comfort topper and the dog has downstairs with occasional daughter joining us.

I got it so we could enjoy holidays in the UK with our working Golden retriever and it has been a blast - we have done west coast of Scotland, Angelsey, most of EA and Devon & Cornwall. More trips planned for this year virus permitting.

The extended warranty and service plan have proved very reassuring and have given me lots of peace of mind.

We’ve used the external shower - great for dog and during Covid when coming off beach and shower blocks are full.

we have used the kitchen a fair bit as the uk weather Can be unreliable - but we prefer to cook outside either on our hot plate if we are on hook up or cardac if not.

The 4 motion has been great in the snow and once on a motorway when it has raining really heavy - great to know it there more than anything.

We live in the countryside on unlit roads so I specked led headlights which have been great - as i get older my night vision is getting worse so the leds were really useful.

Sat nav - whilst much maligned has been good and you learn to check to avoid the odd strange route choice.

considerations
the big one is the price - hands sown the most expensive thing bar our house i have ever bought ( i put down 11k and had the balance over 3 years PCP - as that worked best for me.).

the only problems I’ve had were some trim came off inside table in the heat and The ash tray got stuck so I’ve been very fortunate.

Petrol economy Isn’t great for me i average 28/29 - probably my driving style.

I like the DSG for the Cali - but it isn’t the best system especially if you’ve come from driving a car like i had.

I speccced the torch and whilst I’ve used it a fair bit it was expensive for what it is.

so there it is 20k miles - it would be more like 40k if it wasn’t for Covid and i can honestly say very pleased i took a deep breath and made the plunge :)

Couldn’t get the text to show lol
Sounds great. What hot plate do you use please?

Sounds great. What hot plate do you use please?
Hi i got it off face book market place for £10 - saves on the gas when on hook up. It’s a lloytron double plate - they sell on eBay for £20 :thumb

Back