Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My first 2000km

brodieolson

brodieolson

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I'll be collecting my new T6.1 on April 1st in Italy and I'm planning to leave for a 2000km/12 days trip to Spain on the 9th of April for a friend's wedding.
  • Would you do it?
  • Should I wait and test the vehicle in my area before leaving for such a long trip?
Thanks!

Just make sure you have a map, the vw satnav on My T6.1 got lost occasionally & the one in my GC is worse, it shows my position as being off the bottom right of the screen.

I would make sure the parking heater works & fire it up at home to burn off the new smell, & just make sure the fridge works, the roof goes up & down ok Etc the day you get it.

Other than that a good few miles will run it in nicely.

It comes to something when : you buy a brand new vehicle (at a premium price) but then do not have the confidence that the product will be free from faults ! (presumably based on experience by others ),
So much so that you consider not using that vehicle in exactly the way it is designed and intended to be used !

my advise would be, check it over as you would do normally with anything new, (check operation of everything is correct and as it should be), then provided no major issues, go use that vehicle for the purpose you bought it for and the vehicle was intended to be used.

If the worst should happen, use the VW assist cover to sort it out at your location.

Enjoy the trip & Wedding :cheers

It comes to something when : you buy a brand new vehicle (at a premium price) but then do not have the confidence that the product will be free from faults ! (presumably based on experience by others ),
So much so that you consider not using that vehicle in exactly the way it is designed and intended to be used !

my advise would be, check it over as you would do normally with anything new, (check operation of everything is correct and as it should be), then provided no major issues, go use that vehicle for the purpose you bought it for and the vehicle was intended to be used.

If the worst should happen, use the VW assist cover to sort it out at your location.

Enjoy the trip & Wedding :cheers

Excellent argument. I shouldn't be worried but I am, due to all I've been reading (here) and watching (youtube) from people experiencing faults right after collection. These are probably just exceptions. A detailed check on collection day is the most important thing.

Excellent argument. I shouldn't be worried but I am, due to all I've been reading (here) and watching (youtube) from people experiencing faults right after collection. These are probably just exceptions. A detailed check on collection day is the most important thing.
People post on Forums when things go wrong. They rarely post when things go as they should do.

Would you go on a 2000 mile trip in a new vehicle in the UK?
You have the same warranty and VW Assistance in Europe as you do in the UK.

Exactly just take as long as you need to check the vehicle over fully before you leave the dealer. Remember it’s your right to take as long as you need.
Ask every question you have (no question is a stupid question unless you know the Answer).
If you think or know something is not right with the vehicle, no matter how small, insist it is corrected fully and to your satisfaction before you accept the vehicle.
Do a full check, preferably with two people (you and another person You trust’ check and re check everything is as expected, including bodywork, doors, roof operation, battery health, entertainment system etc etc.

suggest you pop the top as the first job and check it has stayed up fully as the last check before you leave the dealer.

Good luck and enjoy your experience, congrats

:bananadance2:upsidedown:bananadance2:pinkbanana:pinkbanana:bananadance2:upsidedown:bananadance2

People post on Forums when things go wrong. They rarely post when things go as they should do.
Absolutely.

(I've had my Cali since 2015 and apart from a water tap neck that went floppy - still worked though - and cupboard door tape that fell off - could still open it though - and several tyre punctures, I've had no problems with my van in six years.)

;)

Go to any forum and the majority of posts are tales of woe. It's what forums do well, allow people to vent all their frustrations, anger, feelings of helplessness etc to an audience likely to be sympathetic.

I would bet for every tale of woe published there are 100 tales of joy unpublished.

go for it. Do as @Perfectos suggests, check all the visible bits for working as they should, perhaps sleep in it for a night just to give you a feel of the logistics when packing, then with a great bit whoop of joy and "WE'RE OFF" head off to the sun.

I'll be collecting my new T6.1 on April 1st in Italy and I'm planning to leave for a 2000km/12 days trip to Spain on the 9th of April for a friend's wedding.
  • Would you do it?
  • Should I wait and test the vehicle in my area before leaving for such a long trip?
Thanks!
Is it brand new? If it is then a better checklist would be one to ensure you leave with all the extra parts like torches, cup holders, mats, window blinds, awning handle, keys to the water cap etc. Mechanically it will be checked by the dealer for fault codes and what he doesn't find in his pre-delivery check is going to happen whatever. Jus get breakdown cover and get out there and have fun.

I picked mine up from the dealer mid-January and drove it through Austria, Italy and Switzerland 3 weeks later ... it now has 4000km on it and it has been an absolute joy - faultless.

If it is second hand then definitely go with the checklist and give it a few weeks with a couple of long trips to see if you trust it.

I collected our Cali on Friday afternoon. The next day, Saturday morning we started our trip from north of Poland to Tenerife. We did ~4.4k km plus a ferry ride. Nothing broke! but I can't say I was fully comfortable with that decision and we couldn't push the trip much longer as it was already delayed by waiting for the car.

So far (~5 months of ownership) only the water pump broke but was already replaced under EU warranty.

Hope it gives you a little bit more confidence :)

Quick update: I've collected the van a few days ago and it's awesome! Photos here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/ciao-my-new-t6-1-ocean-italian-edition.44184/

Decision made: I'll go to the wedding in Granada and then travel around Spain for a few weeks! The dealer is also supporting the idea and offered a free check the day before departure to make sure it's all in order. Thanks for your comments on this thread, was useful to get your prospective.

Quick update: I've collected the van a few days ago and it's awesome! Photos here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/ciao-my-new-t6-1-ocean-italian-edition.44184/

Decision made: I'll go to the wedding in Granada and then travel around Spain for a few weeks! The dealer is also supporting the idea and offered a free check the day before departure to make sure it's all in order. Thanks for your comments on this thread, was useful to get your prospective.
We want photos pls of the trip