Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My New Cali

DalCrawford

DalCrawford

Daldude
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I’ve decided to spend some money on my new Cali to spice her up for the summer, Can I ask advise on what head unit DAB DVD Sat Nav systems people have put into there Cali’s I have a 2015 SE with standard RCD 310 and need to update it, has anyone also put rear monitor in for TV DVD?

Also has anyone had new bumpers side/roof bars on there Cali where’s the best places to go?

The Kenwood DNX516DAB is the suggested one from VW, it’s a direct fit and will allow navigation symbols on your driver information system.

The Kenwood DNX516DAB is the suggested one from VW, it’s a direct fit and will allow navigation symbols on your driver information system.

Very nice but expensive I’ve seen cheaper with same spec why do VW recommend this unit?

Very nice but expensive I’ve seen cheaper with same spec why do VW recommend this unit?

It’s not that it’s recommend as such, however it’s an official VW partnership. It’s made to fit VW so you don’t have to have an aftermarket facia. I have one but that’s not necessarily a recommendation.

Perhaps if you tell us more about your requirements and budget it’ll help with recommendations.

I use Apple CarPlay 90% of the time, so I could have got a much cheaper unit, however i liked idea of navigation on the dash so I went for the Kenwood as I thought I’d use the in built sat nav more than I ended up doing.

I do like the idea of Apple play also DVD also connect to parking sensors / camera
Bluetooth DAB but as I use google maps on my phone I’m like you not sure if the sat navs are as good does Apple play support google maps on your iPhone and do the units have a separate GPS card or sim? For WiFi etc

I use Apple CarPlay 90% of the time, so I could have got a much cheaper unit, however i liked idea of navigation on the dash so I went for the Kenwood as I thought I’d use the in built sat nav more than I ended up doing.

Exactly the same with me and my Pioneer Avic F88-DAB. Great unit, love it and wanted in-dash navigation. I abandoned the built in Sat-Nav after a few weeks and use Apple CarPlay instead. If I were doing it again, I'd find something with DAB + Apple CarPlay + Bluetooth phone connection but with a mid-range price point.

The pioneer does also play DVD's, but never even tried it. If you have an iPhone, then you can use Apple maps only, not google. If you have Android phone you can use Google maps on that, or some others.

I do like the idea of Apple play also DVD also connect to parking sensors / camera
Bluetooth DAB but as I use google maps on my phone I’m like you not sure if the sat navs are as good does Apple play support google maps on your iPhone and do the units have a separate GPS card or sim? For WiFi etc

Apple Carplay uses your phone's 3/4G connection and Apple Maps (as opposed to Google Maps)

Probably important to know that units that support both Apple Play and Android equivalent don't do anything themselves apart from display the screen sent to it by the phone.

To be clear, when you use Car Play, you are using your vehicles stereo/touchscreen to access and control your phone. The phone sends the screen to the device, and the device displays it. Your phone does all the legwork of using it's own GPS, Sat-Nav routing.

No need for wifi on the stereo itself. If you do want that, then a mi-fi device will be best way to go.

Agree with the above, the great thing here is that when Apple / Android update their software then you automatically get those updates too,

For example about 6 months ago the Road Speed started showing up on Apple Maps, about 2 months ago Whats App added CarPlay support.

I listen to a lot of Podcasts and Audiobooks, Carplay is great for this.

Another vote for CarPlay. Really simple and effective technology. Apple Maps isn’t as good as Google Maps so I do wish I had an Android Phone but I’m too locked into Apple now.

As a backup we keep UK maps downloaded on Google so if Apple gets us into trouble or we lose mobile data coverage then we can always fall back on downloaded maps

Another vote for CarPlay. Really simple and effective technology. Apple Maps isn’t as good as Google Maps so I do wish I had an Android Phone but I’m too locked into Apple now.

As a backup we keep UK maps downloaded on Google so if Apple gets us into trouble or we lose mobile data coverage then we can always fall back on downloaded maps

That’s a good idea. Use an old android phone, download all google maps for uk and leave it plugged in without the need for a SIM card or data usage.

How do you download all of the maps to google maps?

That’s a good idea. Use an old android phone, download all google maps for uk and leave it plugged in without the need for a SIM card or data usage.

You can do it through the app. Can't remember the specific steps from memory but you'll find a step by step tutorial online. It downloads the maps for a fixed period of time and then you just renew the download before they expire.

It would probably make more sense to get a cheap data plan.

The idea is the phone is connected at all times, this way it receives traffic updates, you can make phone calls, send and receive text messages.