Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking to upgrade my RCD 310

I too have been longing for an upgrade to my dashboard centre-piece. CarPlay seems like the obvious solution, I am fairly committed to the ‘Apple ecosystem’ and would love the convenience of maps, podcasts and my entire music collection at the behest of Siri.
What has long put me off though is the fear of losing the other interfaces: parking sensors, both visual and audio; and climate control indications. Also, I’d love to be able to use more of the steering wheel buttons, they’re a bit redundant at the moment.
Can anyone recommend a head unit with CarPlay that works with parking sensors and steering wheel functions?

So yours has FM but not DAB?

Cheers,
Jim
That is true. I bought it on ebay and I wasn't bothered about dab. I'm pretty sure the DAB version still had FM though. Eg this one is advertised as DAB shows FM in the main picture https://tinyurl.com/yc5vzsw9. I would check with the seller before purchase to be certain.

That is true. I bought it on ebay and I wasn't bothered about dab. I'm pretty sure the DAB version still had FM though. Eg this one is advertised as DAB shows FM in the main picture https://tinyurl.com/yc5vzsw9. I would check with the seller before purchase to be certain.
Thanks once again Walrus.

Cheers Jim

I upgraded to the RCD 330 around three months ago and as my Cali is a daily use vehicle, I have got to know the system really well in that time. I appreciate that the OP's requirements were DAB and CD player, neither of which the RCD 330 has, however, it is great value and ticked lot of boxes for me and i'm pretty sure that the Carplay functionality provides an alternative way to meet any requirement: eg Satnav - Apple Maps, DAB - Internet Radio, CD player - media player.

IOS 11 introduced some great improvements to Apple Maps, it is powered by TomTom and the display is great on the screen. I mainly use Apple music for my music source, however, i do use Tunein radio when i want to listen to the radio and i haven't had any problems. Additionally, if you jailbreak an iphone you get all apps available to you through Carplay: YouTube, Google Maps etc....

Can anyone recommend a head unit with CarPlay that works with parking sensors and steering wheel functions?

I have a MFSW, front and rear parking sensors. When i installed the RCD 330 it all worked perfectly. The modern park pilot was visible when parking sensors were activated and the volume and seek buttons worked. The only thing that didn't work was the climate control graphic when changing the settings but meh, not to fussed about that.

Well, I must have different software in my RNS510. I don't seem to suffer the problems you all seem to have. Mind you I did read the handbook and keep it updated but it has taken me to wherever I want to go in the UK and Europe on more than acceptable routes. You just have to choose the correct route out of the 3 offered.
I second that. The problem for me is I can’t get a disc for Morocco.

I upgraded to the RCD 330 around three months ago and as my Cali is a daily use vehicle, I have got to know the system really well in that time. I appreciate that the OP's requirements were DAB and CD player, neither of which the RCD 330 has, however, it is great value and ticked lot of boxes for me and i'm pretty sure that the Carplay functionality provides an alternative way to meet any requirement: eg Satnav - Apple Maps, DAB - Internet Radio, CD player - media player.

IOS 11 introduced some great improvements to Apple Maps, it is powered by TomTom and the display is great on the screen. I mainly use Apple music for my music source, however, i do use Tunein radio when i want to listen to the radio and i haven't had any problems. Additionally, if you jailbreak an iphone you get all apps available to you through Carplay: YouTube, Google Maps etc....

I have a MFSW, front and rear parking sensors. When i installed the RCD 330 it all worked perfectly. The modern park pilot was visible when parking sensors were activated and the volume and seek buttons worked. The only thing that didn't work was the climate control graphic when changing the settings but meh, not to fussed about that.
Hi Maverick
How is the FM radio performance with the RCD 330? Thanks

Hi Maverick
How is the FM radio performance with the RCD 330? Th

The FM performance is as good as the original radio as it's a good aerial (which i think is a strip on the top of the windscreen). As @2into1 said in post #21, the RCD 330 doesn't have RDS which means the Radio station data isn't visible and it doesn't auto-tune when you move beyond range of the set frequency.

Not having the auto-tune makes it a bit of a faff if you are constantly moving out of frequency range, however, with the MFSW functions working you can use that to scan to the correct frequency.

I don't really use the FM radio and I knew of the limitation when i purchased the radio. It was my compromise as accessing my music and the integrated Sat Nav was more important.

[QUOTEI don't really use the FM radio and I knew of the limitation when i purchased the radio. It was my compromise as accessing my music and the integrated Sat Nav was more important.[/QUOTE]

What sat nav solution do you use? Does it use data or GPS (offline)? Cheers

Also, the RCD330 doesn't have RDS....so no text display of the station you are listening to on FM, and no handover to stronger frequencies as you tour the country. It seems to be a winner for those that want to stream music and radio from their phones.
and to be fair I can do all of that on my RNS 315 it just doesnt look at pretty but it has DAB and built in satnav.

What sat nav solution do you use? Does it use data or GPS (offline)? Cheers

Another thing to factor in is that when you use CarPlay and Apple maps you typically choose your route whilst you’re sat in the house or office on Wi-fi. That route is built and cached to the phone so unless you deviate a lot, you can actually drive to the destination with airplane mode on! It uses vector graphics for minimal data use.

It’s a totally different experience. If you add a location to your meeting or appointment in your calendar, it will suggest that as a destination.

Team it with something like the ACSI app and you can browse camp sites, tap open in maps, plug your phone in & drive off.

I was able to add a series of sites into my calendar for a 3-day drive to Italy. Just plugged my phone in and drove off each day.