Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking to upgrade my RCD 310

M

Matthew Ringer

Matt
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have decided its time to upgrade my RCD 310 in my 2010 Cali so I can have a built in sat nav rather than use an out of date TomTom that sends me down small country roads.

Has anyone else done the same?

I would still like to have the use of a cd player and DAB radio.

What would you recommend?

Have a look at the CarPlay (if you have an iPhone) or Android Auto to leverage the power of your phone. Sat Nav uses either Google Maps or the much-improved Apple maps and has the benefit of having all your music in one place or Spotify /Amazon music etc. Needs a phone signal and a plan with reasonable data but worth a look.

Alpine do a nice ilx 207 model (I have the older ilx 700 model) that has the climate control and parking sensor display support (£600-ish), but Panasonic do some without those which are even cheaper.

Be prepared for a lot of going around in circles unless you want to splash out £1k. I lost a good chunk of my life earlier this year doing the same having started at the same point. It seems most things at sensible money lack something you are after (particularly DAB).

I had a trial of radioplayercar which seemed the answer to my needs (DAB, calls, streaming, keeping the OEM look) but it was very clunky in real life. I looked at these 330 units discussed here but they lack DAB.

I ended up with a RCD310 DAB unit and a very discreetly installed kinivo https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JK0G8KC/?tag=eliteelect-21 which is surprisingly good. Only the button is on show, down by the headlamp switch. Bluetooth has moved on since I last looked and it can skip tracks / pause etc, as well as connect me to google voice functions, without touching my phone.

I just use google maps on my phone (which is amazing), and have an old TomTom on standby in the glovebox in case I'm lost without data.

Thanks for your feedback. CarPlay seems to require mobile data from your phone and I would prefer something that has maps downloaded. Does anyone recommend the RNS 510 or something similar?

Does anyone recommend the RNS 510
2nd hand RNS510 with DAB are upwards of £600 on ebay. If you van doesn't have factory bluetooth, you are looking at a scary amount to get that fitted (£300+). You'd have a good solution, but still close to £1k.

I have an RNS 510 and if I were in your position I would not choose to fit the 510 for the Sat Nav. All the other features are fine but I find the Sat Nav hard to get on with.
It won't save you from the single track roads, mine seems to love them!

Last edited:
I would agree with ArunAlec regarding the RNS 510. In a previous post regarding these I said I would pay somebody to steal mine.
What ever SatNav you go for it will try to send you down inappropriate roads or silly routing. Rarely use the RNS SatNav using a Garmin which I switch between vehicles. It has its quirks which aggravates, but I like 'life-time' maps. Had an old TomTom which has just died, may it rest in peace if it can find the co-ordinates.
Having searched and searched I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect SatNav.
I can find much better uses for my pension than pay silly money for alternative lumps in the dashboard.

Well, I must have different software in my RNS510. I don't seem to suffer the problems you all seem to have. Mind you I did read the handbook and keep it updated but it has taken me to wherever I want to go in the UK and Europe on more than acceptable routes. You just have to choose the correct route out of the 3 offered.

Will the RCD 330 work? Carplay for under 200quid.

Good shout Matt.

The amount saved in buying the unit more than offsets the small data consumption. It’s really negligible and the only issue would be if you are in an area with poor coverage.

I binned an RNS510 in favour of this type of solution and it’s light years ahead. No more outdated maps, hands-free voice control that actually works, text messaging, podcasts and audio books to boot.

Andy, have you got one of the RCD330 units? Was looking at getting one myself but wondering what the FM reception is like?

The Rcd330 lacks the 2 things the OP said he wanted.... CD player and Dab.

Bit of a condescending reply and I will stop there.
Not meant to be condescending at all.
You have a problem with the RNS 510 and I don’t.

If both units are exactly the same how do you explain the difference?

Now if you were to say you prefer a different interface, different software or different display then that’s your preference.

Thousands of these units are in use and yet there aren’t thousands of complaints.

I have experience of both Garmin and TomTom SatNavs losing satellite connection and position in underpasses/tunnels and city centres with high rise buildings. Not helpful when following a route with many turns whereas the RNS510 has never lost a beat, always knowing its position by using the vehicles sensors to calculate its position when the satellite signal is lost.
Eg: The 25km Laerdal Tunnel in Norway and my SatNav correctly positioned the vehicle and showed the Parking areas and roundabouts deep under the mountain with extreme accuracy. Even the road tunnels under Tromso city were accurately portrayed and the vehicle position accurately shown.

upload_2017-11-30_14-34-9.png
I had a look at Vagtec website to see whats available and have summarised in my own geeky format. I also added the two alpine options.

In summary, If I want everything on my shopping list. I can choose between the RNS 315 and the Dic Media DAB.

Reactions: Sad
View attachment 28101
I had a look at Vagtec website to see whats available and have summarised in my own geeky format. I also added the two alpine options.

In summary, If I want everything on my shopping list. I can choose between the RNS 315 and the Dic Media DAB.
I think I have the 510 and it does have Bluetooth for phone calls and texts, is your Bluetooth column for another function?
Cheers

I think I have the 510 and it does have Bluetooth for phone calls and texts, is your Bluetooth column for another function?
Cheers
I think the RNS510 had Bluetooth with Phone connectivity as a paid for option, certainly in 2014.

I think I have the 510 and it does have Bluetooth for phone calls
This nearly caught me out. If you pop a bluetooth enabled vw stereo in your van that doesn't have a vw bluetooth kit fitted (£300+), it won't work.
I too found the 315 and thought it was the answer to my prayers, but I was told it still needed some extra kit to make the bluetooth work. (Unverified). I was also that some of the stereos on ebay have come out of modest cars and won't drive all the speakers in a Cali (SE / Ocean).
At this point I lost the will to live and went the route I described in an earlier post (the 310 DAB needs adding to your spreadsheet for completeness).

Also, the RCD330 doesn't have RDS....so no text display of the station you are listening to on FM, and no handover to stronger frequencies as you tour the country. It seems to be a winner for those that want to stream music and radio from their phones.

Hi

Does the RNS315 have FM as well?

Cheers

Jim

Has anyone tried one of the Pumpkin Android head units? £260 and I've heard good things anecdotally. I currently have a Pioneer single DIN Bluetooth/DAB unit and use the phone to do all the heavy lifting of navigation and music playing. Would love something integrated but not impressed with the apparent fiddliness and restrictions of the VW units, nor the slightly crazy prices for the high end Pioneers...