Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Victron - charging? app? issues?

Well, it's going back to the supplier for testing and repair or replacement. Apparently a five year guarantee with Victron which is fine but still pretty peeved with the hassle and the fact something has gone wrong with the controller after so little use. Will update again.

Tested one final time today before returning and same result - worked OK for some hours after reset but then reverts to outputting 0 watts, putting a load on the Cali (ie fridge) has no effect and the controller still outputs 0w.

If buying Victron make sure you get a good warranty is my advice.

Max,

Mine has been ok since I last posted. But got home tonight to find that it had once again cut off the current. So it was showing 0W & 0 amps. But still full panel & battery voltage. Once again it recovered after a reboot. As I said before I have had this set up for a couple of years now and it is only over the last few "hot" weeks that it has started to play up. I would appreciate it if you could update this post with the results from Victron when you get them. It is possible that they may simply have a bug in the latest software that can be fixed with an update. Here's hoping.

Hi Mark, very useful to have your input, thank you. Certainly seems more than a coincidence we are sharing the same issues at the same time. Yes, the technician was pointing the finger at software too. I'm sending it in after the weekend so will update ASAP. They are a large supplier dealing wth all manner of setups from our type to large domestic and commercial arrangements. Victron is the most reliable choice I am told.

I have not used mine for ten months and when reinstalling it, it downloaded (firmware?) updates so maybe an issue there.

There are a few solar experts on here so with luck they may see this topic and chime in!

I have also contacted the Victron head office in The Netherlands and asked for their thoughts.

Max,

I am actually an electrical engineer with quite a bit of knowledge on solar installations so I am confident that the rest of my system is in good order and the issue is definitely the MPPT. It is either a software issue or there may be an internal re-setable thermal fuse. I agree that Victron is a top brand and their products are some of the best on the market. But if you need any support in your discussions with Victron then let me know.

Thanks Mark, believe it or not I had an email reply personally from Johannes at Victron to my email last night straight away at 10pm. I have sent over details so will see what he says.

No, not been that strong today Matt or yesterday and the same pattern most days - around 1/2pm it goes into this 0 watt huff.

Had a brief email back from Victron:

The problem is most likely no software but perhaps hardware.

Please have the supplier test the unit on a testbench and if needed contact the repairs department of Victron Energy.

The problem is most likely no software but perhaps hardware.

Please have the supplier test the unit on a testbench and if needed contact the repairs department of Victron Energy.
They would say that wouldn't they.

My experience with IT systems is that when you see a number of similar faults that haven't been seen before and you've recently updated the software then it is ALWAYS the software that is at fault. It might be that the updated software is exercising the hardware in a way that hasn't been done before, or it could just be a silly bug like not treating an error condition properly or buffer overflow or... etc. etc.

I would ask Victron as a first step how you can apply the old software to your controller to see if the problem persists.

Max hi,

Any chance you can correct the typo in the thread title. You have it as Victon not Victron.

Couldn't find the thread the other day using search and it would be useful if folks can fimd this thread when searching on Victron.

Max hi,

Any chance you can correct the typo in the thread title. You have it as Victon not Victron.

Couldn't find the thread the other day using search and it would be useful if folks can fimd this thread when searching on Victron.

Hi Bramco, thanks for reminding me - meant to do that and forgot.

They would say that wouldn't they.

My experience with IT systems is that when you see a number of similar faults that haven't been seen before and you've recently updated the software then it is ALWAYS the software that is at fault. It might be that the updated software is exercising the hardware in a way that hasn't been done before, or it could just be a silly bug like not treating an error condition properly or buffer overflow or... etc. etc.

I would ask Victron as a first step how you can apply the old software to your controller to see if the problem persists.

Bramco - I will pass those very valid comments onto the supplier and Victron and see what they say.

Does anyone remember when the latest update was applied? I cannot tell as mine was not used for ten months so would naturally update to something as soon as I re-connected it.

Does anyone remember when the latest update was applied?
Hi Max, I wouldn't think many of us would remember because it's something you don't look at often. Although every time I look it seems to need an update! So not sure when but more frequently than I'd expect tbh.

Relieved to find this post and not read all the replies yet but I’ve had two panels fitted and really confused by the read outs (I’m normally very IT savy) ...It doesn’t seem to charge every day, despite the sun shining ...I expected to be able to use a 3 pin plug without having to hook up to a campsite supply but I can’t (maybe I misunderstood that part)

I’ve been meaning to find something on YouTube to teach me about solar panels and this system ...will read the replies above now ⚡️

I have downloaded the Victron MPPT Firmware change log. Hopefully I can attach it to this post here goes.

Attachments

• Solar Charge Controller MPPT VE.Direct firmware changelog.pdf
    255 KB · Views: 18

Mark, Bramco - are yours still suffering the same symptoms?

Mine has been ok for the past few days. I have only ever noticed it a total of 3 times and had to reset it. It is possible that it might have happened before and I haven't noticed it and it resets itself overnight. But I have no way of knowing that.

Mark, my pattern seems to be say 2 - 4pm it reverts to 0w so must be peaking at absolute max charge or something and then shutting down...? See if you can check yours maybe each hour or two from the morning? ;)

Max, I had to take ours off. Think I mentioned that earlier. I think I might have a faulty panel and the van is due to go in for the roof for repair in a week or so.

While it is away I'll get a new panel so we'll be ready to reinstall things once it comes back.

On ours though it was showing 0W but the panel voltage was only around 4 or 5. I tried running our coolbox but couldn't get the Victron to show any current was being drawn either. But then if the panel was faulty that may be understandable?

Thanks Simon, I'll post up some info with the permission of Mike at midsummerenergy.co.uk who has been very helpful and communicative indeed in helping to sort this - the unit is with him now for testing tomorrow. This may hopefully help others who ever experience issues:

Considering it is a temperamental issue I thought it may have been software related. V1.30 was released in February and is the latest firmware version available.

I've spoken to Johannes [Victron]; there is no way to download the older firmware versions, or a way to flash it. He says it is very unlikely to be a software issue. I'll need to do an RMA when I receive the product and see what Victron say.

I have come across one or two units that have displayed this same 'reluctance' to re-start in the mornings or once the battery voltage has dropped below Float threshold. But not enough concrete evidence to suggest a known fault in the product range. If you know people who have reported this issue then it might be worth getting the serial numbers of the units and letting Victron know there's a problem. I'm surprised it occurred with the latest firmware version, though there are some known glitches with older versions.

Again, I need to take a look at it before I can confirm anything but I think it'll just be a case of replacing the unit with a new one. No reason to expect the new one to have the same, or a different, issue as they're generally very reliable.

I think it's worth letting forum readers know that there have been some known firmware issues with the Victron charge controllers, if that is indeed the case here. Regular firmware updates to their charge controllers do normally address these issues (though this requires the Smartsolar or the Bluetooth Smart Dongle). I get the impression Victron are slowly moving away from the BlueSolar range in favour of the SmartSolar, which makes sense in the long run. I don't have any problem with you mentioning this in your forum posts or mentioning our company as your supplier; if there are more people who have experienced this issue then it would be good to collate the evidence and provide it to Victron, as this is the only proper way they're made aware of intermittent faults and glitches. Let me know what you find out and I'll check your controller tomorrow morning.

Max, Thanks for the update. I will look forward to seeing the results of the test. If mine crashes again I will take screen shots of the monitoring software before and after rebooting, I also have the bluetooth interface so I am also running with the latest firmware.

Well, it was tested and issues could not be replicated I'm told. All tested fine. Cannot complain as I've been sent a new unit anyway.

IMG_5108.JPG

Good customer service but.....

I hope this one doesn't develop the same fault. I guess there could have been a bad batch of components and if so hopefully this new one won't be affected.

Indeed. A five year warranty and back up like this is pretty impressive so I'm not too worried. Old and new were tested as A1, so a mystery. Although I know nothing about this subject technically (solar hardware/software) it still *sounds* so much like a firmware/software issue to me more than a component failure!

Back