Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Troubleshooting - WRM15

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
Not sure if my solar panel has packed up. Haven’t checked the app for ages, but sitting on a Site with clear skies and sunshine and app showing no output from the panel or charging the batteries.
Checked the instructions and indicator LEDs for the WRM15 - status LED on and green, charging LED not on (indicating output from panel <0.5A).
Battery 1 LED flashes every 4 seconds (connected and not charging)
Battery 2 LED on (battery charging).

tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Bluetooth module and reconnecting the app. Just tried disconnecting the wiring and reconnecting.
App shows battery 1 and 2 voltage. LED status as above are the same, but no pc panel output.

Checked all the connections from the panel and all ok. Panel is clean.

Is the panel knackered or the WRM? System is only 3 years old!

Bj, cannot help with your specific problem as it could be many things.

If the phone is connecting the BT module should be ok.
If the app is not showing any output, then the WRM may be toast.

If within the warranty period - I think it is a three year warranty, if you send it to the manufacturer in Italy, they replace it. They will also test and repair.

Do not send by Royal Mail as they took 10 days to deliver it there. Return shipment got to the UK in 3 days via dhl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We had a similar issue earlier in the summer... With our WRM15... but not quite the same... Batteries not being charged... Phone app connected via BT But no data would show.

i fully disconnected for an hour or so then reconnected it and it worked all worked again

if you didn’t fully disconnect it and leave it for a bit... it might be worth a try.

Mark

Thanks for the replies. Managed to get a multimeter on the terminals and there’s no output from the PV panel at the Controller. Need to check further when I get home but no obvious damage to the pv panel or wiring, could be one of the cells has gone and open/short circuited the rest of the panel depending how the cells in the panel are configured.

Thanks for the replies. Managed to get a multimeter on the terminals and there’s no output from the PV panel at the Controller. Need to check further when I get home but no obvious damage to the pv panel or wiring, could be one of the cells has gone and open/short circuited the rest of the panel depending how the cells in the panel are configured.
Who supplied your solar panel and controller? I had a similar problem recently and it was the panel that was the problem, which was replaced under warranty.

It’s a kit from roger here. I’ll need to give him a call this week

It’s a kit from roger here. I’ll need to give him a call this week
Mine was from @Roger Donoghue also. He has provided what I consider to be exceptional customer service. I emailed him to describe the problem and he worked through some investigation with me. He assessed the internal links had failed and sent a replacement panel within a couple of days and I paid for the shipping. The original panel was 18 months old. The replacement panel included the mounting strips and quick connector so was a genuine 5 minute job to replace. I do have some concerns about the panel failing again but not about being supported by Roger if it does over the next 24 months. Good luck.