Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My roof repair has started...

Californiaman

Californiaman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My lovely Reflex Silver 2010 got swapped today for a lovely new, new blue one. It wasn't nice watching it leave on a flat bed truck but the chap from the AA was sympathetic!

YM0B9657_zps6592f2b5.jpg

YM0B9660_zps7e48f8ea.jpg

Anyone wondering about the differences? Not many...

Day711-28-07-2014_zps5788171b.jpg

Let me know how the repair goes.

From what I have been told they are an exceptional outfit and there shouldn't be any issues at all.

Cheers

Mine is with them at the moment, I am expecting to get the call to say it is finished anytime soon.

Stu said:
Mine is with them at the moment, I am expecting to get the call to say it is finished anytime soon.
Is the repair for the front panel only or both the main roof and the front panel?

Not sure what bits will be replaced on mine. I got an email today from them quoting for a small repair to a scratch and small ding in the rear offside quarter panel. Sadly, they want to replace the entire panel and paint that and the sliding door to ensure it matches. It really is a minor scratch and the ding was there when we collected it(!) so I don't want to go ahead with that level of intrusion for such a small amount of damage. I have great confidence in AB Crush doing a great job but I worry more that someone will bash it in a carpark on my first outing after the repair!

They said the repair on mine is going well so I hope to hear more (and have asked for details) in the near future.

Interestingly, the company that installed my tracker rang me about my van moving before it even left my company car park! They phoned me again today to warn me that the battery had been disconnected! Impressed..

Hi Californiaman, can I ask which tracker you chose?

I've spoken to AB Crush again today. They have stripped the roof and have noticed that I also have corrosion on the main elevating panel where the rubber strip meets the aluminium. This is apparently caused by metal clips in the rubber. The repair is to rub the paint down around the edge, seal it with an improved under seal and repaint it. A second warranty claim has been raised and processed to deal with this (thanks, Alex + SMG)

The front panel is being replaced completely and again will be stripped back, under coated properly, painted and refitted.

The chaps at AB Crush are also dealing with a couple of kinks I put into the roof by lowering it with something still up top as well as a bend in the side where I lowered it onto one of the little rubber grommets that fell out of the scissor mechanism - at a very reasonable cost.

Mark,

We were aware of the metal clip within the rubber seal causing this corrosion, but what are they doing about it ? Are they just putting the same seal back on with the same metal within it?

That's it Martin, there is no official repair from VW it's just AB Crush using their knowledge and experience to carry out the repair.

Mine was also corroded (as I think will be most people's when they check) and they have rubbed it back for repainting.

As I said above, the chap I spoke to today seemed confident that their approach to undercoat application should resolve the problem. Time will tell I guess..

Silver van is back and the blue van has gone on to the next repairee.. I have only had a brief look but AB Crush appear to have done a smashing job. Considering how invasive the surgery has been, you would hardly know - very impressive. They kindly left a couple of pots of touch up paint, which must have been used for something but I don't know what.

The new bellows look, well, like new. The only difference appears to be in the front folding hinge. I can't tell exactly what the difference is but the folding mechanism feels a little bit more complicated that the old one.

Looking forward to going away but it won't be for a couple of weeks 8-(

Day725-11-08-2014_zps27221ec2.jpg

Californiaman said:
Silver van is back and the blue van has gone on to the next repairee.. I have only had a brief look but AB Crush appear to have done a smashing job. Considering how invasive the surgery has been, you would hardly know - very impressive. They kindly left a couple of pots of touch up paint, which must have been used for something but I don't know what.

The new bellows look, well, like new. The only difference appears to be in the front folding hinge. I can't tell exactly what the difference is but the folding mechanism feels a little bit more complicated that the old one.

Looking forward to going away but it won't be for a couple of weeks 8-(

Day725-11-08-2014_zps27221ec2.jpg

I have just seen the parts list for the roof corrosion repair, I didn't notice anything that related to new bellows. Could it be that they are only replaced if the original are damaged as they are removed?

Back