Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MY21 California Ocean mods...

Nice. Is that white or Ascot grey?
Which wheels are you going for? When I get my Ascot Ocean in March I intend to swap the Woodstock’s for black 18" Springfield’s (are OEM with sport styling pack) which I think will look good with black side bars.

Hey Tim its Candy White, VW 30mm lowering kit and going for the VW Sportline 18" to complete the look I was after..

should look like this (excuse the photoChoppery)

van_with_18.jpgour_van_3.jpg

Hey Tim its Candy White, VW 30mm lowering kit and going for the VW Sportline 18" to complete the look I was after..

should look like this (excuse the photoChoppery)

View attachment 69784View attachment 69785
Good choppery skills.
I don’t think those sport lines are available on 6.1s - they were for T5 and T6?
I like the discus wheels for example, nice retro influence, but in the end putting previous version wheels on the new model confuses matters for me. Irrelevant for most people, who rightly just go for what looks good, but difficult for my OCD head to grapple with...I know I need to get out more...
Sport lines will look good!

Good choppery skills.
I don’t think those sport lines are available on 6.1s - they were for T5 and T6?
I like the discus wheels for example, nice retro influence, but in the end putting previous version wheels on the new model confuses matters for me. Irrelevant for most people, who rightly just go for what looks good, but difficult for my OCD head to grapple with...I know I need to get out more...
Sport lines will look good!

so Tim you have kinda hit the nail on the head, for me I'm borderline OCD (spends 7 hrs polishing car) and it bugs the cr@p out of me BUT.. the 6.1 Sportline wheel current offerings do nothing for me .. I wanted a gloss black rim / polished lip to contrast the black awning, windows, and side bars and the new sport lines are silver or a wheel that looks like a merc E class :( .

BUT to appease my annoyance I will be either running VW centre caps or the new self levelling ones (£100!) to distinguish a difference. I really don't want to go aftermarket.

I can live with this as I its the look I had in my head I wanted. subtle, custom and most importantly different. but totally see your point.
Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 11.36.05.pngScreenshot 2020-11-23 at 11.36.15.png

EDIT: I also bought a personal plate so its less obvious its brand new and its ours ;)

I
Just spotted you can have the new for 6.1 (and standard in silver) Aracaju in black too. Be good for those who prioritise the ride perhaps. I think the wheel arch needs at least and 18" to fill it well. 20" better but not OEM and ride will suffer.
so Tim you have kinda hit the nail on the head, for me I'm borderline OCD (spends 7 hrs polishing car) and it bugs the cr@p out of me BUT.. the 6.1 Sportline wheel current offerings do nothing for me .. I wanted a gloss black rim / polished lip to contrast the black awning, windows, and side bars and the new sport lines are silver or a wheel that looks like a merc E class :( .

BUT to appease my annoyance I will be either running VW centre caps or the new self levelling ones (£100!) to distinguish a difference. I really don't want to go aftermarket.

I can live with this as I its the look I had in my head I wanted. subtle, custom and most importantly different. but totally see your point.
View attachment 69789View attachment 69790
Ahh I'm not as mad as I think perhaps.
You don't like the black Springfields?
1606131947023.png

1606131729688.png
I see you can get 17" Aracaju in black too (standard of course in silver) but I think 18's fill the arches better.

(from here btw - maddening how many versions of the brochure seem to be available)

Attachments

• New Format Brochure_California 6.1.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 23
I
Just spotted you can have the new for 6.1 (and standard in silver) Aracaju in black too. Be good for those who prioritise the ride perhaps. I think the wheel arch needs at least and 18" to fill it well. 20" better but not OEM and ride will suffer.

Ahh I'm not as mad as I think perhaps.
You don't like the black Springfields?
View attachment 69792

View attachment 69791
I see you can get 17" Aracaju in black too (standard of course in silver) but I think 18's fill the arches better.

What does the last set of numbers mean?
Shouldn't palmertons be 18 as well or does it mean something else?

What does the last set of numbers mean?
Shouldn't palmertons be 18 as well or does it mean something else?
First width, second diameter
Looks like an error, should be 18

First of all, love the 250, I've had two. They are different (spot the difference)

RFuxYaj.jpg

sWFkD9m.jpg

:D

Second of all.
Where did you get the trapezoid side bars?

I found this for example, that i thought looks quite good.

And does it require drilling for fitting? Not sure i'm up for that.

First of all, love the 250, I've had two. They are different (spot the difference)

RFuxYaj.jpg

sWFkD9m.jpg

:D

Second of all.
Where did you get the trapezoid side bars?

I found this for example, that i thought looks quite good.

And does it require drilling for fitting? Not sure i'm up for that.

loving the colour only difference I see are the A048’s or is there another I’ve missed?

The bars were from
Van style https://www.vanstyle.co.uk/van/angled-trapezoid-sportline-style-gloss-black-sidebars-p-7319.html

and couldn’t be simpler to fit.. they attach to the OEM fixings and are an identical copy of the VW ones (inc brackets) at a fraction of the cost .. have look at this thread.. small matchbox size piece needs to be cut out of thin plastic undertray and easily done, FYI this is what VW do when they fit them also but assume they have a precision tool to do it.. I used a multi tool and took about 2 mins each side.
Have a look here..

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/how-to-fit-side-bars.34270/

loving the colour only difference I see are the A048’s or is there another I’ve missed?

The bars were from
Van style https://www.vanstyle.co.uk/van/angled-trapezoid-sportline-style-gloss-black-sidebars-p-7319.html

and couldn’t be simpler to fit.. they attach to the OEM fixings and are an identical copy of the VW ones (inc brackets) at a fraction of the cost .. have look at this thread.. small matchbox size piece needs to be cut out of thin plastic undertray and easily done, FYI this is what VW do when they fit them also but assume they have a precision tool to do it.. I used a multi tool and took about 2 mins each side.
Have a look here..

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/how-to-fit-side-bars.34270/

I have ordered a set of these for my new van on the strenght of your review Zippster. No pressure now ;)

@Zooks when you see how easy they are to fit, your be happy.. once brackets are mounted (front and rear are different and long bit of each goes to the back of the van) just take a few minutes to see what needs cutting . With a multi tool you can be very neat. let us know how you get on!

@Zooks when you see how easy they are to fit, your be happy.. once brackets are mounted (front and rear are different and long bit of each goes to the back of the van) just take a few minutes to see what needs cutting . With a multi tool you can be very neat. let us know how you get on!
All done. Scratched my head a bit until I realised the bars are handed :talktothehand
Anyway worked it out in the end. I think black bars suit bay leaf green

20201204_150240.jpg

All done. Scratched my head a bit until I realised the bars are handed :talktothehand
Anyway worked it out in the end. I think black bars suit bay leaf green

View attachment 70361
Yes yes yes! Look epic !
Out of interest I noticed they are handed but half thinking I have mine round the wrong way..

Do you have a slightly bigger gap from the wheel arch at the front that the back? I think this is to allow clearance for the mud flaps (if fitted) but I’d like to be sure

Yes yes yes! Look epic !
Out of interest I noticed they are handed but half thinking I have mine round the wrong way..

Do you have a slightly bigger gap from the wheel arch at the front that the back? I think this is to allow clearance for the mud flaps (if fitted) but I’d like to be sure

Yes mine are the same. I thought it was for front mudflaps the same as you.
I cut down all the bolts and trimmed my undertrays as carefully as I could so i'm not moving them now!

Yes mine are the same. I thought it was for front mudflaps the same as you.
I cut down all the bolts and trimmed my undertrays as carefully as I could so i'm not moving them now!
Well done..: I found the front bolts didn’t need trimming only the rear.. I take it you were happy with the install in the end .. nothing too it eh

Looks great @Zooks, very classy. Have you lowered it? Can’t be sure from the phot.

No its just the camera angle. I haven't lowered it (yet) because I wanted to try out the standard ride quality before I start meddling.

Well done..: I found the front bolts didn’t need trimming only the rear.. I take it you were happy with the install in the end .. nothing too it eh
Yes reasonably easy. The plastic retaining clips were rubbish but the finish of the bars and brackets are good. I'm pleased with the results.

Back