Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Naming ceremony and the first adventure please?

Alfiesbuddy

Alfiesbuddy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Naming ceremony and your memories of where you ventured first please guys when you picked up your VWC?

I’d like to hear what you did and where? Even the quirky stories please on naming ceremony

We’re collectibg Friday and I’d like to do something fun and memorable !

I drove off to Cornwall the day after getting Albert home and having enough stuff to survive thrown in. 200 miles down to Lands End on a crystal bright winters day.

The following day it rained:sad I was on a CL miles away from anywhere to eat so time to test my camping culinary skills. Lesson one. The hugely elaborate meals I had planned for were slightly ambitious. "Simplicity next time" I thought as Albert started to steam up like a Salvation Army soup kitchen.

The day after it was thick fog before heavy rain. My plans for a nice, bracing 10 mile walk were binned as I instead sat in reading the handbook. It took 20 minutes for me to work out how to put the fog lights on and to check they were on, or in various stages of off.

The day after it rained.My list of things to leave behind next time, together with a list of what's needed next time, was deserving of an excel spreadsheet all of it's own. Time to come home, but not before being grateful for 4WD, memo to self: In winter hard standings are rather useful. Bin the romanticism of sitting in the middle of the field with a nice view, better the practicality of all 4 wheels on a hard surface.

Hey I love your story of the first adventure with Albert.... cool name! I’ve literally excel sheets myself in advance..... I’ve over prepared/purchased but I guess each trip will have different meaning/ length so I can go into the garage and handpick (over and above my basics) what to take. Short trip.... rough it a fraction.... a week.... some luxuries :)

Hard standing thoughts very much shared.... one can not push a 3 tonne vehicle out of mud!

I’m a cook stuff and take stuff frozen in soup pouches kind of planner.... I do it for daily life anyhow so few extra will be no bother

We collected our van from Bath and drove straight to a campsite in Malvern for the night. We spent about an hour experimenting with filling up water, popping up the roof, putting out the awning and erecting a drive-away awning. We then got out the tables and chairs and sat in the sun drinking a bottle of champagne to celebrate our new purchase.

We have never named a vehicle so to us the Cali is just known as ‘the van’ to distinguish it from our other vehicles. But who knows, in time that might change, but I doubt it.

Enjoy your adventures.

We secretly purchased our Beach mainly as a means to safely transport our growing family around in. We have eight grandchildren, some of which we look after a lot. This vehicle was also intended to perform all sorts of other tasks including camping.

At the time when we purchased this vehicle we already had Margot the T5 SE, bought for our own personal and exclusive travelling pleasure. As our grand children were forever asking to go out in Margot, we decided to tell them that we couldn't take them out until we had some more seats. So when the day came to collect the Beach we told them that we were going on an adventure.
image.jpeg
When we arrived at the dealers, SMG Tonbridge, Laine Watts the salesman took the three puzzled littleuns out into workshop to find some new seats. They were amazed and delighted to find that they actually had a whole van, that had new child seats, cuddly toys and even a new pink potty waiting for them inside.
image.png

The new van is called Bluebelle Bus and they all adore her.

We have now had her for sixteen months and in that time she's been used for amongst other things, regular school runs, numerous picnics, beach hut duties, transport for a family wedding, a christening, as a removal van, camping, holidays and days out with elderly parents, oh and as a car transporter.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
We secretly purchased our Beach mainly as a means to safely transport our growing family around in. We have eight grandchildren some of which we look after a lot. This vehicle was also intended to perform all sorts of other tasks including camping.

At the time when we purchased this vehicle we already had Margot the T5 SE, bought for our own personal and exclusive travelling pleasure. As our grand children were forever asking to go out in Margot, we decided to tell them that we couldn't take them out until we had some more seats. So when the day came to collect the Beach we told them that we were going on an adventure.
View attachment 26615
When we arrived at the dealers, SMG Tonbridge, Laine Watts the salesman took the three puzzled littleuns out into workshop to find some new seats. They were amazed and delighted to find that they actually had a whole van, that had new child seats, cuddly toys and even a new pink potty waiting for them inside.
View attachment 26616

We have now had her for sixteen months and in that time she's been used for school runs, numerous picnics, beach hut duties, transport for a family wedding, a christening, as a removal van, camping, oh and as a car transporter.

View attachment 26617

What a lovely, happy, smiley post Borris, thank you :thumb

We purchased our Ocean 204 2nd hand (although ‘he’ was only 3 months old at the time) last September from a nice family in Godelming. We viewed him a couple of times to make sure it was what we wanted, having never owned (or spent so much) on this type of vehicle. On the trip home I couldn’t concentrate on my own driving as I kept gazing at ‘him’ on the road in front of me thinking about where/what we’d do first. Hubby and I hadn’t been home long when the ‘inner child’ in us came out (both late 50’s lol) scrambled into the loft for the sleeping bags left over from caravan days, and promptly spent the night in ‘him’ parked on the back driveway. Our boys thought we’d lost the plot. Have since had some wonderful weekends away and can’t think why we hadn’t got a Cali long before now.

We purchased our Ocean 204 2nd hand (although ‘he’ was only 3 months old at the time) last September from a nice family in Godelming. We viewed him a couple of times to make sure it was what we wanted, having never owned (or spent so much) on this type of vehicle. On the trip home I couldn’t concentrate on my own driving as I kept gazing at ‘him’ on the road in front of me thinking about where/what we’d do first. Hubby and I hadn’t been home long when the ‘inner child’ in us came out (both late 50’s lol) scrambled into the loft for the sleeping bags left over from caravan days, and promptly spent the night in ‘him’ parked on the back driveway. Our boys thought we’d lost the plot. Have since had some wonderful weekends away and can’t think why we hadn’t got a Cali long before now.

"Losing the plot" would be resisting that inner child and not sleeping in "Him" :D

We secretly purchased our Beach mainly as a means to safely transport our growing family around in. We have eight grandchildren some of which we look after a lot. This vehicle was also intended to perform all sorts of other tasks including camping.

View attachment 26615
View attachment 26616

We have now had her for sixteen months and in that time she's been used for school runs, numerous picnics, beach hut duties, transport for a family wedding, a christening, as a removal van, camping, oh and as a car transporter.

View attachment 26617
Fabulous reading this story! We too are surprising a little human !!!

I picked mine up from north east so quite a drive away. It was sight unseen. Took enormous number of blankets and king size duvet in case heater failed (It was October and my greatest fear). Along with an enormous amount of kit. Exchanged cars. I think the dealer thought I'd left home. I drove to Bridlington for first camp. Discovered had no front blinds so had to improvise. Back and little side window blinds took a few trips to work out too. Privacy not really achieved. Real adventure was it was the night of storm Angus so set up was grim (first time with hook up in dark and howling wind). Whole thing rocked all night with Archie whining. Quite soon after was in storm boris so now we are old hands at the elements.

Still debating a name - current thoughts are Nellie after Nellie Bly, first women to circumnavigate the world.

Unable to decide on the gender of our van either she's Zenobia ("Nobbie") or he's Norman.

First trip was to a small site between Bristol and Bath to visit family. Not our usual sort of campsite - it has toilets and they mow the grass! But convenient for the purpose of the trip. Thankful that I had bought 2x25m hookup leads because the supply was a long way away - although it wasn't really necessary to plug in. But we did because we could and the electricity was included in the price.

Our Ocean is of course called Billy, camped out on the drive the first night and hardly slept a wink, had over 50 nights away so far this year including a fortnight in September in the South of France, why did we wait so long?

We picked our Cali up from Poole after what could be described as a year long decision, most of it on this forum, but in the end an impulsive purchase. We wanted one, they had a new unallocated one, we bought her.

We drove her round the corner to the retail centre. Parked her in space, moved her to another and then another just to be certain no toe rag would open their car door into her and went into Burger King (don't judge, we live on the Isle of Wight and are deprived of such facilities). OH panicked and left me to get the order whilst he went back to her to patrol for toe rags. When I came out the Cali was in a completely different parking space, all set up inside for the nutritious lunch.

We took her home on the Lymington Yarmouth ferry and desperately tried to ignore the wightlink operative's hand gestures to make us park within a millimetre of the car in front.

Back at home we parked her on the front lawn, put the roof up, had a calvados or two and slept upstairs in her that night being able to look at the stars through the mesh and listen to the sea.

She spends a lot of time on our front lawn when not being our second daily drive, or being used for dog walk outings followed by lunch, or in France. We've slept in her countless times there and my daughter revised for her GCSEs in her (and did very well). I smile every time I slide open the side door and our Springer gets in her before we do.

And she's called Wheezy after our long departed and much loved blue egg laying hen.

After looking at various makes I decided on a LWB High top T5 which had to be automatic as my leg doesn't do clutch!

Having got interested in several which I never got to see for various reasons (too far away, advert sounded dodgy, sold before I got there) a suitable used one (apart from being beige) came up so I went and had a good look at the inside, I loved the space and all the extra little cupboards in the high top BUT the upholstery was horrible, it was a deal breaker and I was so disappointed.

They also had on site a black California which, apart from being automatic was everything I DIDN'T want. SWB, pop top, black, and over budget. But as the salesman had gone off to answer the phone and I was too polite to leave without thanking him I thought I'd just have a look at the Cali. I stepped inside fell instantly, totally and completely in lust! Sexy black leather type seats, tinted windows, and of course the fabulously fitted interior. Then the salesman came back and demonstrated all the clever stuff and how it worked, and I knew I had to have it and bought it on the spot!
And the name? Sexy Rexy seemed the only suitable name after I fell in love at first sight!

My first night away was a campsite quite near home taking my then 10 year old grandson, he's great at seeing how things work and making "If you do this, then that" suggestions. I had quickly slung in everything I used to take when camping on my trike, apart from the tent of course and found there was plenty of space, the pop top was great for grandchildren, and my impulsive decision had been so right!

A year and a half later I've found nothing to change that opinion!

We picked up Brian in Lancashire and headed straight to the lake district. It was -3 deg in December. We loved it. I recommend taking a note book as we wrote endless lists of things to get/take. I took all my camping kit and realised this was a mistake.

We named him Brian after the Snail in magic roundabout and the kind chap who sold him to us. Thanks Brian.

After collecting Cali (I know, very unimaginative, Cali the California) we drove home and spent the rest of the day playing with our new toy and giving guided tours to the neighbours. Our first overnight stay was a couple of days later when we had a weekend at Exmoor House site at Dulverton. One day of lovely sunshine and one day of torrential rain - and one of the best weekends we've ever had!

I would have not been brave enough to go away when we picked it up our van, even if work commitments at the time has allowed it. Ist weekend we when into the New Forest and hid in a car park and tested out all the function bed up and down roof up and down.Tested heater, cooker. fridge. Quized by a passing Police patrol due to our suspicious activity in the car park. :happy

Fell in love with the gorgeous Luis (means brave German warrior) at the Newbury motorhome show where all his clever stuff was demonstrated (I now know incorrectly!) by the motorhome dealer. He knew nothing about California's and I hate to think what indignities Luis suffered at his hands.

First trip was to the CCC site in Chichester where I was watched by a few families of curious caravan owners as I set up camp. Must have been easily identified as a first-timer by my novice mistakes ( eg putting silver screens on before swivelling passenger seat).

Absolutely have no doubts that this is the right vehicle for me and I love him even more 18 months later.

BTW Husband wanted to call him Clive the Camper - NO! My van, full of my 'tat' (husband's view) and Luis he is :)

I think you should have gone with Clive :mute

I think you should have gone with Clive :mute

Nooooooooo :(

Not that I have anything against the name Clive. It means Cliff apparently. Cliff the camper sounds better. But no, he is gorgeous Luis :)

Nooooooooo :(

Not that I have anything against the name Clive. It means Cliff apparently. Cliff the camper sounds better. But no, he is gorgeous Luis :)

Any relation to Louis the German, grandson of Charlemagne? :D

I picked up my Cali from SMG Tonbridge way back in January, after a very long 8 month wait!!

Bit of an anti-climax compared to others as I simply drove him back home and then went straight to school in him to pick the kids up!

3 days later my son Riley and I headed off to the Whitstable for a walk by the sea and the obligatory first cuppa. As you can see from the pics the Cali was still in ‘factory’ mode with the only personalisation being the Saltrock Man sticker applied by Riley as soon as he got home from school that first day :)

And as for his name, we called him ‘Blu’. Bit obvious as he’s blue (!) but also, I went for a personalised plate, VR66 BLU.

VR represents my late Mums’ initials, Veronica Raey. She passed away the year before I bought the van and left me a little inheritance which enabled me to complete our life long dream and buy him. She also loved singing along to the song Mr Blue Sky by ELO so Blu seemed a good name for that reason too. Mum would have loved 'Blu' and been delighted that me and the kids get so much fun and make so many memories every time we go out in him, even on the school runs!

Thanks Mum xx

IMG_1250.jpg _DSF0764.jpg

Back