Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Need help Bed lever function

homerorchid

homerorchid

VIP Member
(2019 Ocean - 2 floor rails - 4Motion) The lever used to slide the rear bench seat forward/back doesn't spring back to its position against the seat. The lever functions OK when I need to slide the seat forward/back, it's just that its floppy and rattles when driving. I've tried this suggestion from a previous thread without success "pull the seat back a bit without using the lever, grab the underneath of the seat it should spring back" (didn't work for me). Also tried slightly twisting the seat when moving it back to see if might be out of alignment (no joy), made sure there is nothing behind/at the side of the seat to restrict movement. Any ideas would be appreciated, thank you

Hi @homerorchid usually rocking it slightly back and forward will cause it to lock into place.

Can you send a pic so we know what you are referring to?

Only got phone, not able to upload photo or video, not sure why but suffice to say instead of the lever springing back flush like the draw lever it just dangles loose. As you kindly suggested I rocked the seat back and forth but no joy. I'm wondering if it's a broken or detached spring, don't know I would find out.

How do you get it back to normal, I've tried readjusting the seat whilst SAT in it but no joy

Unfortunately despite lots of brute force to try and get the seat squire in the rails (if that is the problem) bed lever remains floppy, I assume there is a spring that holds it the lever flush against the bed, wondering if this is the case weather the spring is broken or has detached it's self. Not sure how you would get to it to check

My new Ocean does this too at the point when the seat is rearward, but seems ok elsewhere... A shuffle of the seat usually sees the lever ping back down!

Thanks for your help, I've tried all kind suggestion given so far but no joy. Does anyone know how the mechanism works, is the lever held back in position by a spring, if so could it have detached it's self or even broken

Thanks for your help, I've tried all kind suggestion given so far but no joy. Does anyone know how the mechanism works, is the lever held back in position by a spring, if so could it have detached it's self or even broken
There is a Spring Part 26.
14F7207A-01BC-48C1-A9BA-87FE73A28FDC.jpeg

Thank you very much WelshGas for taking the time to look, very much appreciated. I'd rather see if I can sort it (if it's not too difficult) than book it in for repair. At least I will have a better chance of explaining what I think the problem is if I have to book it, thanks again

Hi WelshGas, as a matter of interest, where dId you get the diagram (really useful/interesting).

Thanks for help everyone, Cali is only couple of months old, going to book it in, let VW sort it

there is a hole next to the flap you describe. this happened to me. the hole is designed for poking a screw driver in to release the catch to remove the bed. try that

How did you get on with replacing that spring? Just bought second hand Coast and whilst I love the van that release handle is a bit flaky

Thank you very much WelshGas for taking the time to look, very much appreciated. I'd rather see if I can sort it (if it's not too difficult) than book it in for repair. At least I will have a better chance of explaining what I think the problem is if I have to book it, thanks again
Hi wondering how you got on with this problem- I have something similar in my Coast - that release handle is a bit flaky- works reasonably well on flat but not on hill and has a very long play before it engages. Is it easy and cheap to repair or the opposite?

I had this problem after I had work done on the seats which involved them taking the seats out. I believe they must have set them back in slightly wrong, ie set too far back so the lock cannot engage. By pulling back and forward and adjusting the position ( trial and error) I got the lock to engage
They also put my rear parcel shelf back in at an angle
Sometimes it’s clear that the service engineers know little more than the customer!!!

Hi JamesF, sorry you have an issue. Our seat problem occurred quite a while ago now and I can't remember what the actual solution was. We took it in for repair under warrenty, a part was ordered and installed which solved the problem (no further issues), suffice to say an issue was identified which required a part replacing on a van that was only a few months old. Sorry for not being much help, hope you get the problem sorted soon, good luck

Back