Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Need help with painful transition from T5 Beach to T6 Beach

Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We have been happy owners of a T5 Beach for 2.5 years, but a tour bus crashed into the back of the van a month ago and the insurance companies are just now in the final process of determining that it will be replaced, not repaired. The T5 proved it can take a terrible hit and keep us safe. No of us were hurt, but police said our 3 kids would have died in a regular passenger car (we had kids on 3 person bench moved towards front & 2 additional seats removed for a trip). It originally cost 23,000+ pounds/32,000 Euros Euros without accessories in 2012 and it is determined that it will cost over 22,000+ pounds/31,000 Euros to repair it. … so I will be transitioning to the T6 with mixed feelings. I anticipate ordering the T6 in the coming days/weeks and they are saying 2-3 months wait for the Islands.

We plan to order pretty much the same vehicle (7 passenger Beach), but will make some changes … 102hp > 150 hp motor, Thule bike rack > VW bike rack … and add fog lights, 2nd battery, 230 volt outlets, basic alarm, intercom (elec. Voice amplifier), and maybe a VW safe.

I contacted Brandup and they think the side door, back door & sliding window screens will work, as well as seat covers for all the seats, but not sure about the front two seats.

Some of my questions:

?? What have people done with having a second battery and a SAFE (spot under passenger seat) with a Beach?

~ If we get a second battery (assuming it goes under passenger seat and can’t order VW safe), we will re-use a “pistol safe” (size of a half briefcase). We have thought to put it between front seats and put storage crate on top of it.

?? What is the best biggest back case out there that will fit on the door hanging bike rack? We are happy with our Thule back case, and wouldn’t go with the FIAMMA, but it seems the Thule design could be different to get more storage space.

?? What other issues for the T6 & "re-using" old T5 add ons should I be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

P7010013.jpg

P7290004.jpg

P7290008.jpg

I'm sorry I don't have any advice as I'm only a soon to be vwt6 beach owner.
I can offer my symapthies though! As a dad of three myself I shudder just thinking of what could have been.

Wow!! I guess the tour bus driver fancied your Thule carrier on the front of his bus!!

Glad to hear no one was hurt although I guess you wanted to do something to the coach driver!!

I'd be down to the dealer and be removing the awning, it looks unharmed, you could save yourself quite a bit there.

Glad you are all ok. That was a big hit. A second battery fits under the passenger seat and I have seen aftermarket swivel base units on eBay a with built in safe for the drivers side.

Lucky no injuries , the bikerack on the bus.....damn!
Ok insurance pay, but you always lose in an accident....and you are in a car you love and had trips an memories in , now starting back from scratch...

Thanks all for your ideas & input! Yes, we are trying to salvage anything out of it that we can ... table , back extender bench cushion, mattress from pop top bed, etc.

I will start another thread to ask about 4 motion.

Wow!!!!! Glad to hear no one got hurt.

Viewing the picture it's amazing the repairing cost. Mine is very similar to your's one, is like I could see mine one broken :sorry

I can say nothing about the T6, but can confirm the aux battery is located under the left side seat (driver one in my case since it's LHD).

Mine one is 4 motion so maybe I could help.

Estarasao, I found some threads on 4motion which might in the end be more confusing than helpful. :) I think if finances work, I am going towards the 4motion with the constant steep inclines here (sea level to 12,000 feet). I am also considering DSG so I can make life easier with constant elevation changes ... and traffic at times ... and trying to eat or drink too. :) Any of your thoughts specifically or in general on the transition from 102hp to 150hp with 4motion (and maybe DSG) would be very very welcome! :)

Mi Cali it's very new so far to form a proper idea, I've took deliver of it on April 2015.

I have not tried 4Motion properly, I mean, off-road. Mine one also have diff lock. Only drove for a very little while in a beach and didn't get stick.... my intention is to change the tires for AT ones and replace the suspension for some higher one (Seikel?). Let see in a future.

Mine one is manual, so nothing to say about DSG.

150hp it's OK, mine one is 140hp and sometimes I miss some more power when "climbing" mountain roads, but in general I think it's enough, in my opinion it's the minimum you should have in such a heavy vehicle.

That will be a write off for sure, if it's not I would push for one as you can argue that it won't be the same after.

All the best with the T6.

Most of all, everyone was ok that's the main thing for sure.

Should be able to polish that out...:sorry

Seriously, good to hear that you and yours were ok. It must have shaken the kids a lot.

Take it easy. Ellie, Cliff and Debs

Back