Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New addition - Starter Battery Monitor

vw_liz

vw_liz

Hello,

Just thought we would share a small addition we made to the camper.

After having a snapped alternator belt and not noticing the dash light my husband thought adding a voltage monitor to one of the blank dash panels would be a good idea.

the voltage monitor module was about £10 from ebay and the led in the top right is also a voltage monitor showing different colours depending on the battery level (also about £10 from ebay).

It is wired so that it is on when the engine is running but you can also press the button with the engine off to display the reading. :thumb

Hope this is of interest to someone!

Liz and Jim

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

:goodone a very neat and tidy install :clap

That would be a good addition to monitor the leisure battery on a Beach as well. Do you have the ebay links?
Owen

Thats a useful bit of kit, apart from the voltage display does it also show if the engine battery is being charged or discharged? Please post the ebay link.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback Owen!

LED Battery Monitor ~£10

I cant find the exact one I used but these look similar:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAMMATRON...857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c587692c9

LCD Voltage Monitor ~£10
Again, can't find the exact one but this is close:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-V..._Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item51ae7e195e

Its worth searching around ebay as there are lots of different styles/colours of display, I picked the green backlit one as I thought it look kinda retro and seemed to fit well with the T4. :D

steviej said:
Thats a useful bit of kit, apart from the voltage display does it also show if the engine battery is being charged or discharged? Please post the ebay link.

Thanks

Hi Stevie,
This was the main reason I wanted to have a display, when the engine is running and the alternator is working fine (i.e. charging) then it shows a reading of ~14v.

The LED monitor is very clever as it gives you a nice easy traffic lights to show status but also has flashing modes is the battery is being overcharged (faulty alternator for example).
Thanks

Jim and Liz

Apart from the dash board alternator warning light you also have the voltage output displayed on the main control panel above your head. When driving along this is the same as the panel you've installed.

No excuse now for having a failed belt.

S.

sidepod said:
Apart from the dash board alternator warning light you also have the voltage output displayed on the main control panel above your head. When driving along this is the same as the panel you've installed.

S.

True but the main reason for wanting it is having something that was easy for me to spot! I never look a the overhead display when driving. I was originaly only going to add the LED traffic light monitor but I saw the voltage display on ebay and added it as well!

Its also nice to have when parked up as I can keep an eye on the starter battery level easily (my starter battery does not charge on hook up).

Also, its a gadget that lights up green! :bananadance

sidepod said:
I'm sure I will come up with one! :thumb

Jim

Back