Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Beach - first impressions

I think you will get how to activate it by looking at the movie.
They key to understand it is that the buttons change functionality when you are in the menusm "ON/OFF" button is UP etc and you can see that on the display next to the buttons.
To set a timer:
Press timer button
Press ON/Off button to select which timer, ie timer 1
Press SET to chose it
Press ON/OFF again to set Once/Weekly etc
Press Set to OK
Select power etc.

They key to understand it is that the buttons change functionality when you are in the menusm "ON/OFF" button is UP etc and you can see that on the display next to the buttons.
To set a timer:
Press timer button
Press SET to chose it
Press Set to OK
Select power etc.
I'll go and try now. Thanks Kave

To set a timer:
Press timer button
Press SET to chose it
Press Set to OK
Select power etc.
So as I said before I can do the first part of that video, turn the heating on and set it to go from 10min up to continuous at a temp of my choosing.
The second part, programming the timer, doesn't seem to work.
I try and press what he does on the video which is timer button whilst the unit is off and the display reads 'off'. Once that happens I cannot toggle it to anything other than off.
Not sure what to do...

We've never used the timer function on ours, can't think we ever would need it, when turned on manually it warms the Cali very quickly IMO

Last edited:
Thanks guys - yes the timer is the same as in the video. my issue is that i cant seem to turn it on (permanently) without the timer timing down. i dont think its very intuitive ??

Thanks guys - yes the timer is the same as in the video. my issue is that i cant seem to turn it on (permanently) without the timer timing down. i dont think its very intuitive ??
So yours does something other than just say 'off'?

Picked up my new Yellow Beach on Friday from Listers Droitwich - its v similar to Daveys van but with standard 16" wheels - i thought they might look a bit weedy, but the large tyres fill the wheel arches. generally i went for the minimum additional options, but hope i have specced it well for my needs.

The 150 engine is smooth, has enough oomph to be lazy with the gears and will suits the laid back nature of the vehicle. Driving back to Glos on the M5 was fun and plenty fast enough. The manual box is light an slick - no regrets there.

The standard dash comes straight from the T6 van. Loads of cubby holes and door pockets for all your clipboards, job sheets, coffee cups, takeaway detritus, tablets etc - there is only one smallish glove box to put bits out of sight. I did not consider the Ocean upgraded dash as far too expensive, but the standard dash is a bit too utilitarian for a £40k vehicle.

No cruise control although i was lead to believe it was standard - part of the blue motion technology.

The manual roof is a thing of beauty. everything is so new and stiff, but you can see and feel the engineering effort that has gone into producing such a well thought out feature. i cant compare it with the auto roof, but it takes a fair bit of effort to engage the catches that i would be concerned if i was relying on motors to do a similar job.

Dark interior - as have two small dogs who get everywhere i chose the dark interior - a no extra option.. However, my van arrived with the light grey interior by mistake - Listers acknowledged the error and have agreed to pay for seat covers on all 6 seats. I just need to decide which ones to have.

3 seat bench - i chose the three seat bench with 1 x additional middle row seat. I will take out the middle seat and only put it in as required. I will then have more flexibility to slide the bench along and create the space needed. As standard there is not much storage space - the under seat trays x 3 are OK for odds and ends, but the main storage is in the boot. Will be ordering a selection of storage boxes to house the camping kit.

Grape Yellow - it is so yellow and so distinctive. I love it, but maybe not best for stealth wild camping. Did the usual impulsive wild camp in the Cotswold last night 'hiding' in a small wood. The standard upper mattress is very comfortable and does leave a bit of room to put a fleecy throw between the mattress and a brushed cotton fitted sheet when the roof is closed.

Auxiliary heater - as well documented on here a 'must have'. we had a very comfortable evening on the coldest evening of the year. when it was time for bed i couldnt work out how to keep the heater on low without the timer running down. the Beach heater controls are not included in the handbook.

Interior light pack - cant imagine what it would be like without it, but it makes reading comfortable in any seat or on the top bunk. The LED lights dim - very cool and trendy. I would say a must have.

Heated front window - very quick and efficient clearing frost and discrete. The elements within the glass are almost invisible and this came with rain sensing wipers. My little luxury.

Fog lights pack - not only do they look the part they work well. Individually, they switch on automatically when cornering for added visibility. I have auto switching headlamps which i think come with the light pack but cant be sure

Privacy glass - not private enough in my view. But as the van has pull down blinds the tint is good enough combined.

I have included the additional rear sliding window which will be useful when the weather warms up. We are a more windows open type family and only use the air con when driving more quickly. I would say for the money this is a must have.

The standard stereo is good enough for me - in fact i think its very clever, allowing me to play spotify music wireless from my iphone . The app connect would have been fun, but the extra money for the upgraded stereo couldnt be justified.

Very pleased with the van - living up to high expectations - my fiancee loves it too. With the help of this forum i think i have specced it spot on .
Hello Tim,
What a great post. Very informative and useful.
Can we have more updates please?

Hi Tim,

When you switch on click the time up past 120 min and its says 'heating' with the infinity symbol beside it (8 on its side). The heating will now stay on until turned off.

Hi Tim,

When you switch on click the time up past 120 min and its says 'heating' with the infinity symbol beside it (8 on its side). The heating will now stay on until turned off.
Thanks Bigted - it worked ....... is there a manual or set of instructions - or did you just work it out. thanks

Happy to upload a few snaps - sorry if not very arty. the yellow colour is very cool but i did have a few doubts and bit cold feet before it arrived - but in the metal i love it - picked up 4 x 18 year old girls last night (incl my daughter and mates) and they loved it too - inc the yellow glow.

Lo
Looks great! Also demonstrates to me that I made the right choice sticking with the standard wheels - they work well with the overall look of the van, they'll be nigh on impossible to kerb AND the tyres are cheap!

I have just made a comment on Daveyboy's post, thanking him for his detailed review. Please have a look as we owe you the same gratitude! Keep the updates and photos (& videos) coming!

Thanks Bigted - it worked ....... is there a manual or set of instructions - or did you just work it out. thanks
Mine is a 15 plate t5 and the heater is explained (poorly) in the manual

Picked up my new Yellow Beach on Friday from Listers Droitwich - its v similar to Daveys van but with standard 16" wheels - i thought they might look a bit weedy, but the large tyres fill the wheel arches. generally i went for the minimum additional options, but hope i have specced it well for my needs.

The 150 engine is smooth, has enough oomph to be lazy with the gears and will suits the laid back nature of the vehicle. Driving back to Glos on the M5 was fun and plenty fast enough. The manual box is light an slick - no regrets there.

The standard dash comes straight from the T6 van. Loads of cubby holes and door pockets for all your clipboards, job sheets, coffee cups, takeaway detritus, tablets etc - there is only one smallish glove box to put bits out of sight. I did not consider the Ocean upgraded dash as far too expensive, but the standard dash is a bit too utilitarian for a £40k vehicle.

No cruise control although i was lead to believe it was standard - part of the blue motion technology.

The manual roof is a thing of beauty. everything is so new and stiff, but you can see and feel the engineering effort that has gone into producing such a well thought out feature. i cant compare it with the auto roof, but it takes a fair bit of effort to engage the catches that i would be concerned if i was relying on motors to do a similar job.

Dark interior - as have two small dogs who get everywhere i chose the dark interior - a no extra option.. However, my van arrived with the light grey interior by mistake - Listers acknowledged the error and have agreed to pay for seat covers on all 6 seats. I just need to decide which ones to have.

3 seat bench - i chose the three seat bench with 1 x additional middle row seat. I will take out the middle seat and only put it in as required. I will then have more flexibility to slide the bench along and create the space needed. As standard there is not much storage space - the under seat trays x 3 are OK for odds and ends, but the main storage is in the boot. Will be ordering a selection of storage boxes to house the camping kit.

Grape Yellow - it is so yellow and so distinctive. I love it, but maybe not best for stealth wild camping. Did the usual impulsive wild camp in the Cotswold last night 'hiding' in a small wood. The standard upper mattress is very comfortable and does leave a bit of room to put a fleecy throw between the mattress and a brushed cotton fitted sheet when the roof is closed.

Auxiliary heater - as well documented on here a 'must have'. we had a very comfortable evening on the coldest evening of the year. when it was time for bed i couldnt work out how to keep the heater on low without the timer running down. the Beach heater controls are not included in the handbook.

Interior light pack - cant imagine what it would be like without it, but it makes reading comfortable in any seat or on the top bunk. The LED lights dim - very cool and trendy. I would say a must have.

Heated front window - very quick and efficient clearing frost and discrete. The elements within the glass are almost invisible and this came with rain sensing wipers. My little luxury.

Fog lights pack - not only do they look the part they work well. Individually, they switch on automatically when cornering for added visibility. I have auto switching headlamps which i think come with the light pack but cant be sure

Privacy glass - not private enough in my view. But as the van has pull down blinds the tint is good enough combined.

I have included the additional rear sliding window which will be useful when the weather warms up. We are a more windows open type family and only use the air con when driving more quickly. I would say for the money this is a must have.

The standard stereo is good enough for me - in fact i think its very clever, allowing me to play spotify music wireless from my iphone . The app connect would have been fun, but the extra money for the upgraded stereo couldnt be justified.

Very pleased with the van - living up to high expectations - my fiancee loves it too. With the help of this forum i think i have specced it spot on .
Congratulations on your purchase......great colour enjoy this great machine

Brilliant news Tim. Really pleased for you. You went straight for the wild camp - my hero! (My driveway was as wild as I could get last night!).
Shame you got the wrong seat colour. That's a bad mistake, although the names for the two different colours aren't very clear in any literature I got.
The heater and interior lights, as you say, are a must.
I slept on the lower bed and found it rather hard. Need to look at a topper of some description to make the comfort mattress more comfortable! Glad the upper seems good.
Glad your roof is stiff and an effort to close. It's scary at first how much effort you need to put in to do it right isn't it? I'm getting more confident with every use though.
You're right about the engine and gear box. After a little time to adjust on the first day or so I'm more confident in the ratios and love the engines eagerness to do whatever it's told.
So easy to cruise in too (despite no cruise control either!).
What boxes are you going to go for in the boot?
I'm about the get some but still not sure which to choose.
The really useful boxes seem to get a few votes.
Another job for me is to mark the ideal place to swivel the drivers seat. That hasn't been a smooth job for me as yet.
Love the colour of your new beach seems more people are getting brave enough to go for this great colour for a great fun machine......enjoy

Is the interior light pack really essential? £240 seems a little excessive for a few dimable LEDs. Paul

Is the interior light pack really essential? £240 seems a little excessive for a few dimable LEDs. Paul
Well if you think it's too expensive maybe not. I've got it and also think it's essential. One of the few noticeable improvements over the t5.
Pop top is transformed by having proper lighting rather than just a single flexy.
Boot loading/unloading and night time chilling/cooking under the tailgate lights is also pretty good.
Would have regretted not having it. Each to their own though.

Looks like Ogmore. Surf there quite a bit.
Vans looks nice buddy

Back