Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Beach - first impressions

Picked up my new Yellow Beach on Friday from Listers Droitwich - its v similar to Daveys van but with standard 16" wheels - i thought they might look a bit weedy, but the large tyres fill the wheel arches. generally i went for the minimum additional options, but hope i have specced it well for my needs.

The 150 engine is smooth, has enough oomph to be lazy with the gears and will suits the laid back nature of the vehicle. Driving back to Glos on the M5 was fun and plenty fast enough. The manual box is light an slick - no regrets there.

The standard dash comes straight from the T6 van. Loads of cubby holes and door pockets for all your clipboards, job sheets, coffee cups, takeaway detritus, tablets etc - there is only one smallish glove box to put bits out of sight. I did not consider the Ocean upgraded dash as far too expensive, but the standard dash is a bit too utilitarian for a £40k vehicle.

No cruise control although i was lead to believe it was standard - part of the blue motion technology.

The manual roof is a thing of beauty. everything is so new and stiff, but you can see and feel the engineering effort that has gone into producing such a well thought out feature. i cant compare it with the auto roof, but it takes a fair bit of effort to engage the catches that i would be concerned if i was relying on motors to do a similar job.

Dark interior - as have two small dogs who get everywhere i chose the dark interior - a no extra option.. However, my van arrived with the light grey interior by mistake - Listers acknowledged the error and have agreed to pay for seat covers on all 6 seats. I just need to decide which ones to have.

3 seat bench - i chose the three seat bench with 1 x additional middle row seat. I will take out the middle seat and only put it in as required. I will then have more flexibility to slide the bench along and create the space needed. As standard there is not much storage space - the under seat trays x 3 are OK for odds and ends, but the main storage is in the boot. Will be ordering a selection of storage boxes to house the camping kit.

Grape Yellow - it is so yellow and so distinctive. I love it, but maybe not best for stealth wild camping. Did the usual impulsive wild camp in the Cotswold last night 'hiding' in a small wood. The standard upper mattress is very comfortable and does leave a bit of room to put a fleecy throw between the mattress and a brushed cotton fitted sheet when the roof is closed.

Auxiliary heater - as well documented on here a 'must have'. we had a very comfortable evening on the coldest evening of the year. when it was time for bed i couldnt work out how to keep the heater on low without the timer running down. the Beach heater controls are not included in the handbook.

Interior light pack - cant imagine what it would be like without it, but it makes reading comfortable in any seat or on the top bunk. The LED lights dim - very cool and trendy. I would say a must have.

Heated front window - very quick and efficient clearing frost and discrete. The elements within the glass are almost invisible and this came with rain sensing wipers. My little luxury.

Fog lights pack - not only do they look the part they work well. Individually, they switch on automatically when cornering for added visibility. I have auto switching headlamps which i think come with the light pack but cant be sure

Privacy glass - not private enough in my view. But as the van has pull down blinds the tint is good enough combined.

I have included the additional rear sliding window which will be useful when the weather warms up. We are a more windows open type family and only use the air con when driving more quickly. I would say for the money this is a must have.

The standard stereo is good enough for me - in fact i think its very clever, allowing me to play spotify music wireless from my iphone . The app connect would have been fun, but the extra money for the upgraded stereo couldnt be justified.

Very pleased with the van - living up to high expectations - my fiancee loves it too. With the help of this forum i think i have specced it spot on .
Great van and what a superb colour, got ours from Listers Droitwich last May T5 Beach. We have had 40+ night out and it is a great all round machine, hope you are enjoying it.

In fairness, it is not £1000+ for just a few shiny bits of plastic. The comfort dash upgrade cost (£1,224) also includes the higher specified Climatronic 3 zone AC (Climatic being standard), which on its own costs £726 as an upgrade for Beach buyers. For those who would have gone for the higher spec AC, the posh dash is effectively £500.

There is another potential cost - we have opted for the Comfort Dash on the Beach we have just ordered, but found that this also requires you to have the Composition. Media + 6.33. We had gone for the inclusive 5" version, so this is another £330+vat. Still, we think the dash finishes the Beach off nicely, and the £1000 (pre-VAT) VW loyalty bonus we found out about on this forum (thanks everyone) goes a long way towards it.

If you compare the standard dash and the comfort dash at night time they look exactly the same - no brainer eh

If you compare the standard dash and the comfort dash at night time they look exactly the same - no brainer eh
I prefer the simple, functional and workmanlike look of the basic steerage class dash. It also appears to be more practical in that it has an extra lower storage cubby hole.

Last edited:
With lights off, from outside, from a distance? ;)
Comfort one is pretty practical adding more compartments. But that polished surface isn't the best solution.

Back