Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New beach owners

R

richpainter

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi All, Just picked up a Beach today from Hereford Van Centre. Chuffed to bits with it, took advice from the forum and emailed all the van centres nearby with the spec we wanted dark seats (1&3 year old kids, couldn't face a light interior that wouldn't be light for long) and night heater, Hereford called us a couple of weeks later to say a van had just come in that was a few years old and exactly what we wanted, took a test drive and here we are, new owners! Already been for a picnic in the forest this afternoon, looking forward to many adventures.

WIN_20191119_14_21_04_Pro.jpg

IMG_20191130_155543.jpg

Absolutely brilliant! We had the same requirement for dark seats as we’ve got similar aged children and after our first picnic outing I was pleased I’d stuck to that!

So many fun times ahead, congratulations. Jealous of your night heater, I’m going to have to get one fitted!

Happy adventures.

Hi All, Just picked up a Beach today from Hereford Van Centre. Chuffed to bits with it, took advice from the forum and emailed all the van centres nearby with the spec we wanted dark seats (1&3 year old kids, couldn't face a light interior that wouldn't be light for long) and night heater, Hereford called us a couple of weeks later to say a van had just come in that was a few years old and exactly what we wanted, took a test drive and here we are, new owners! Already been for a picnic in the forest this afternoon, looking forward to many adventures.

View attachment 53127

View attachment 53128
well done Rich, hope you Stella and the kids enjoy your new van, we bought a Cali the other month. You just need to get yourselves down to Treen again

Perfect!

Our boys, also 1 & 3 when we bought, have grown with the van. In two and a half years we have covered over 50,000 miles together, visited 33 countries and spent at least 365 nights sleeping in the van.

Congratulations. You have just bought a potential life changer.

We are now on our second seven seater Beach, both with dark seats and parking heater. There can't be a more perfect vehicle for a growing family. There really doesn't seem to be anything it can't do well. The parking heater is just the most amazing option you can have. It turns the van into a 365 day a year camper. It's ideal for winter school runs, long cold walks and a multitude of other occasions. Just press the remote fob whilst your having your breakfast and by the time your ready to go it's toasty warm and defrosted.

We have eight grand children and they all love it. We've camped in it, picnicked in it, used it as a heated changing room and beach hut. We've entertained in it, toured in it, been to the tip in it, used it as a removal van etc etc. It makes a great reading room and mobile office as well. We also have the extra two swivel seats so also use it for family holiday airport runs. It's also been used for wedding transport and taking elderly relatives on days out complete with mobility buggy.

The interior is pretty user friendly with wipe clean surfaces. However, for total peace of mind, may I suggest you consider waterproof seat covers with young children. Inka do them and they save a lot of worry. They are well designed and are a very good fit. We also have waterproof mattress covers. The club shop sells both and they aren't that expensive. With these fitted the little ones can do their worst and all you need is a packet of wet wipes. You can even hand wash these covers in cool water and they come up like new.

The only other thing that might prove useful in the long term is insulation for the pop top roof. Without it the roof can get a little damp, cold and draughty in the colder months. There are both internal and external solutions available through the club shop. If you are interested then there are several threads on this forum that discuss both types and their fitting.

I hope you all have many happy adventures in your new van.

Last edited:
Congratulations. You have just bought a potential life changer.

We are now on our second seven seater Beach, both with dark seats and parking heater. There can't be a more perfect vehicle for a growing family. There really doesn't seem to be anything it can't do well. The parking heater is just the most amazing option you can have. It turns the van into a 365 day a year camper. It's ideal for winter school runs, long cold walks and a multitude of other occasions. Just press the remote fob whilst your having your breakfast and by the time your ready to go it's toasty warm and defrosted.

We have eight grand children and they all love it. We've camped in it, picnicked in it, used it as a heated changing room and beach hut. We've entertained in it, toured in it, been to the tip in it, used it as a removal van etc etc. It makes a great reading room and mobile office as well. We also have the extra two swivel seats so also use it for family holiday airport runs. It's also been used for wedding transport and taking elderly relatives on days out complete with mobility buggy.

The interior is pretty user friendly with wipe clean surfaces. However, for total peace of mind, may I suggest you consider waterproof seat covers with young children. Inka do them and they save a lot of worry. They are well designed and are a very good fit. We also have waterproof mattress covers. The club shop sells both and they aren't that expensive. With these fitted the little ones can do their worst and all you need is a packet of wet wipes. You can even hand wash these covers in cool water and they come up like new.

The only other thing that might prove useful in the long term is insulation for the pop top roof. Without it the roof can get a little damp, cold and draughty in the colder months. There are both internal and external solutions available through the club shop. If you are interested then there are several threads on this forum that discuss both types and their fitting.

I hope you all have many happy adventures in your new van.
Thanks for the info Borris, great advice. I've already looked at the seat covers and insulation for the pop top so hopefully pull my finger out and get them ordered, like you say, even with a dark interior the seats are still not kid proof! I was looking at the silver insulated external covers for the roof as these seem to be the best for putting kids up there and giving them a darker/quieter sleeping area

Perfect!

Our boys, also 1 & 3 when we bought, have grown with the van. In two and a half years we have covered over 50,000 miles together, visited 33 countries and spent at least 365 nights sleeping in the van.
That is an insane amount of travelling. What have been the highlights of the 50K miles?

Thanks for the info Borris, great advice. I've already looked at the seat covers and insulation for the pop top so hopefully pull my finger out and get them ordered, like you say, even with a dark interior the seats are still not kid proof! I was looking at the silver insulated external covers for the roof as these seem to be the best for putting kids up there and giving them a darker/quieter sleeping area
You must have the only Beach with the slider on the N/S. :thumb (second photo)

Lovely crew you have there.

That is an insane amount of travelling. What have been the highlights of the 50K miles?

Swimming the within the arctic circle at the Lofoten Islands; a deserted Pompeii on a cold rainy day; a sea turtle in Greece; mud volcanoes in Transylvania; salt mines in Krakow and being fed honeycomb straight from the hive by a farmer in South Tyrol.

No breakdowns, one puncture, a handful of minor faults (e.g. broken seatbelt clip).

View attachment 53127

View attachment 53128
:welcome Fabulous adventures await enjoy & safe travels

:welcome To the Beach club, congrats, looks fantastic:bananadance2:thumb

Congratulations ...I wish I had gone for the Beech as opposed to the Ocean...but you live and learn..

Nice! Dark interior good idea. Our 2&4 year olds try their hardest to mess up ours. It’s never ever clean . We bought ours new and the first trip away was stressful as I was paranoid with it getting dirty. I just accept it now!
Seat covers a must also for drink spillages.

I too opted for a Beech over the Ocean, just for the extra space and convenience. Didn’t have much of a choice on seat colour as mine was an ex demo Beech Edition. Sorted the light seating by fitting some nifty dark grey seat covers which combine nicely with the light interior.

FAF47012-3EC3-4140-BFED-4ECFCA6577FB.jpeg

B0773A16-A97B-40FD-A79A-909396CCC2A4.jpeg

I too opted for a Beech over the Ocean, just for the extra space and convenience. Didn’t have much of a choice on seat colour as mine was an ex demo Beech Edition. Sorted the light seating by fitting some nifty dark grey seat covers which combine nicely with the light interior.

View attachment 53217

View attachment 53218
They look the business. Where did you get the seat covers from?

They look the business. Where did you get the seat covers from?
Very happy with them, worth the expense and will protect the original cloth.
Bought them from VW California Club shop, not sure if they are still available, but would recommend.

View attachment 53217

View attachment 53218
We’ve got the same seat covers love them :cheers

Congratulations, well done. Best vehicle ever!